Visions and Dreams

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Daniel 1:17
As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

Joel 2:28
And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

Acts 2:17
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Why is it that old are to dream dreams while the young to have visions? Is dreams a weakened connection with God while visions are a more vivid strong connection? Why the change as we get older?

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't read that verse like that, to me God is explaining what He's going to do in these last days. God can give meaning to anyone if they just ask.
I asked if I may have a dream from Him, but not as I will and as He sees fit. He did just that and I experienced a message in a dream, and like Daniel I had to ask the meaning of this dream as I did not understand it. God gave me meaning to that dream at the appointed time.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it that old are to dream dreams while the young to have visions? Is dreams a weakened connection with God while visions are a more vivid strong connection? Why the change as we get older?
Hebrew scholars have said this is a Semitic poetic word play that means both - Just as it said God showed Israel his power and Moses his ways. It means His ways and power were there for both.

And in this case, both young and old have visions and dreams.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Didnt have the benefit of Hebrew scholars. This is what we were taught. Dont think it would be a problem but if it is just have it deleted.

Taught that the young and old is referring to spiritual maturity. The meaning of visions can more easily be understood compared to dreams.

Visions - such as the valley of dry bones and Elisha's servant seeing the heavenly hosts
Dreams - Joseph's sheaves of grain and Nebuchadnezzar who wanted the dream and its interpretation provided.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

Who is more likely to be sleep during the day, and early evening?

Vison is chawzone in Hebrew meaning "a vision or revelation." This one is more like a stream of images and motion one sees in a lucid state when relating to the future, or understanding something in general (present or past). Dream is chalom in Hebrew meaning a literal dream.

Daniel 1:17 described the full wisdom of Daniel: not only having sight, but the ability to interpret it. Pentecost is part of the pouring of spirit (fulfilled by the Redeemer) that allows us to go from carnal entities to carnal entities with an on loan spirit to discern and know the things of the Most High God - just like the Most High God did for individuals in the former years before the Redeemer.

These are just the consequences of having the spirit of God within - which is why the Redeemer would tell the disciples to stop being amazed at the things He did. It is basic for a spirit-filled son of Man to, for example, restore or heal the sick and cast out demons.

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps a relative perspective and distinction is given.
Malachi 4

Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Then there is a comparative teaching that ole sh'aul taught concerning elders and youth and a mirror darkened in childeshness like those who had not gone up to sup with The Lord on a fateful Yom(day)

Blessed be The Holy One

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Who is more likely to be sleep during the day, and early evening?

Vison is chawzone in Hebrew meaning "a vision or revelation." This one is more like a stream of images and motion one sees in a lucid state when relating to the future, or understanding something in general (present or past). Dream is chalom in Hebrew meaning a literal dream.

Daniel 1:17 described the full wisdom of Daniel: not only having sight, but the ability to interpret it. Pentecost is part of the pouring of spirit (fulfilled by the Redeemer) that allows us to go from carnal entities to carnal entities with an on loan spirit to discern and know the things of the Most High God - just like the Most High God did for individuals in the former years before the Redeemer.

These are just the consequences of having the spirit of God within - which is why the Redeemer would tell the disciples to stop being amazed at the things He did. It is basic for a spirit-filled son of Man to, for example, restore or heal the sick and cast out demons.
And they used the term "vision" to describe the "transfiguration" moment when Elijah and Moses came to visit.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Alot of Biblical Interpretation in applying events and stories in the Tanakh to meet and match events in the time of Mashiach Yeshua involves recognizing common images. So in the case of Moses and the bronze serpeant on a staff, Yeshua in the Gospels recognized the snake on the staff as representing Yeshua on the cross. This kind of interpretation is not explicit. It is a kind of dreamlike interpretation. That is because in dream predictions, different elements in the dream represent different elements in the fulfillment in the real, waking world. Joseph and Daniel in the TaNaKh both were skilled interpreters of dreams and were able to predict future events based on elements in dreams. Visionary prophecies work similarly. For instance, Daniel had a vision of horns that represented Greek kings that would come to rule the ancient world in the wake of Alexander the Great of Macedonia.

My big question here, and maybe you don't have an easy answer, is how closely do elements in the TaNaKh foreshadow events in the New Testament? OK, I get that the bronze serpent on the staff represented the Crucifixion because Yeshua explained it that way. But how about other places in the TaNaKh that were not directly identified? When I read the story of Yael and Sisera, and the story of Jotham's escape, they reminded me of elements in the Gospel story too, like I wrote about on my thread here:
Did Sisera's temples or Jotham's escape prefigure the Gospel story?

But it isn't really clear if they are real prefigurements and connections, or if I am just seeing more than is there in the TaNaKh's story.

Upvote 0

pinacled

Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Alot of Biblical Interpretation in applying events and stories in the Tanakh to meet and match events in the time of Mashiach Yeshua involves recognizing common images. So in the case of Moses and the bronze serpeant on a staff, Yeshua in the Gospels recognized the snake on the staff as representing Yeshua on the cross. This kind of interpretation is not explicit. It is a kind of dreamlike interpretation. That is because in dream predictions, different elements in the dream represent different elements in the fulfillment in the real, waking world. Joseph and Daniel in the TaNaKh both were skilled interpreters of dreams and were able to predict future events based on elements in dreams. Visionary prophecies work similarly. For instance, Daniel had a vision of horns that represented Greek kings that would come to rule the ancient world in the wake of Alexander the Great of Macedonia.

My big question here, and maybe you don't have an easy answer, is how closely do elements in the TaNaKh foreshadow events in the New Testament? OK, I get that the bronze serpent on the staff represented the Crucifixion because Yeshua explained it that way. But how about other places in the TaNaKh that were not directly identified? When I read the story of Yael and Sisera, and the story of Jotham's escape, they reminded me of elements in the Gospel story too, like I wrote about on my thread here:
Did Sisera's temples or Jotham's escape prefigure the Gospel story?

But it isn't really clear if they are real prefigurements and connections, or if I am just seeing more than is there in the TaNaKh's story.
sicera had not dreampt of anything like ya'akov.
And Yael in part sealed his fate for lack of vision.

An ear ole canaan knew better than to ignore.
Ezekiel 16

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums