Virtually all of the highest temperatures in each state were recorded in the 1930's

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you look it up ?

We keep telling you this:

If you want to make a claim and say it is backed by data, you need to present the data YOURSELF. It's not my problem or anyone else's here to find your data for you. Working links only.

• Agree
Reactions: ZNP
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some even in the 1920's and 1900's. None except Nevada were recorded in the last five years. Look it up on any source this is one record that can't be fudged.
Ok, look and see if that source you used got it right tho, by independent 2nd source. Always check. I try to check 2 or 3 ways, as just a normal routine.

Here's a place to check (you may have): All-Time record temperature by state/date:

U.S. state and territory temperature extremes - Wikipedia
(you can click on the date column to sort the records in order of date)

As you can see, many records, in many states, after 1980. (13 of the 50)

But here's another:
State Climate Extremes Committee (SCEC) | Extremes | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Also, as you may have heard, a heat wave is currently happening, so it will be interesting to see if any new state wide records happen this summer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some even in the 1920's and 1900's. None except Nevada were recorded in the last five years. Look it up on any source this is one record that can't be fudged.
It was interesting to see the Oklahoma dust bowl 120F in 1936 in several locations. We do know that in order to get the higher temps, it's needed to have drier conditions (because it takes a lot of heat to heat up a moist surface). So, during the dust bowl, the dryness it takes to get to 120F was present then, it appears. Very interesting. I grew up partly in Oklahoma, and the highest we ever had at our own house while I lived there, quality thermometer in the shade, was around 1980 and was 113F.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking of higher temperatures in dry conditions, here's the current U.S. Drought Monitor Map --

U.S. Drought Monitor

It looks like some of Colorado along with spots in N.M., Texas and Oklahoma are pretty dry, but whether dry enough, we will have to see. There's not much (or just no) area all the way to the most severe dry level, D4. Therefore, it may not be dry enough at the moment to get to the all-time level.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
It was interesting to see the Oklahoma dust bowl 120F in 1936 in several locations. We do know that in order to get the higher temps, it's needed to have drier conditions (because it takes a lot of heat to heat up a moist surface). So, during the dust bowl, the dryness it takes to get to 120F was present then, it appears. Very interesting. I grew up partly in Oklahoma, and the highest we ever had at our own house while I lived there, quality thermometer in the shade, was around 1980 and was 113F.
I'm in Tulsa and around 2010 to 2011 we broke many records that were set in the 30s here but not really shattering them but since those two years it has been milder and the weather patterns are nearly back to normal now. We had a rash of hot weather back around 1980 that set some records but didn't break any 30s ones I believe but then Tulsa is not in the Dust Bowl part of the state. BTW your "drier" observation is correct as the 110s didn't have very much humidity at all which is not normal for this part of the state usually the heat index adds on about 5-10 degrees but this hot spell humidity was very low and we had a lot of burning bans for months and fires even in the springtime rain was almost non existent. If felt more like the desert than green country.

• Informative
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in Tulsa and around 2010 to 2011 we broke many records that were set in the 30s here but not really shattering them but since those two years it has been milder and the weather patterns are nearly back to normal now. We had a rash of hot weather back around 1980 that set some records but didn't break any 30s ones I believe but then Tulsa is not in the Dust Bowl part of the state.
I recall that one super hot day, the 113F -- in Duncan (town of about 20,000 at that time in south central OK) -- was with a strong wind from the west or southwest, and I imagine it was blowing already very hot air over from a dry hot area hundreds of miles away, possibly, that then continued to heat really well during that dry sunny day where we got to 113. I don't think I'd seen another day on that thermometer above about 106. I lived in that house from about 1973 through 1983.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I recall that one super hot day, the 113F -- in Duncan (town of about 20,000 at that time in south central OK) -- was with a strong wind from the west or southwest, and I imagine it was blowing already very hot air over from a dry hot area hundreds of miles away, possibly, that then continued to heat really well during that dry sunny day where we got to 113. I don't think I'd seen another day on that thermometer above about 106. I lived in that house from about 1973 through 1983.
I remember working at an air conditioning company just on summer break from college and it was 110 out and I was shoveling sand all day in the sun drinking ice water and another day was in an attic wrapping insulation around pipes there as we were converting the heating system to do AC also and I got stuck and it was about 105 outside and probably close to 150 where I was stuck and I just about passed out maybe even would have died as the guy I was a helper to left to go back to the shop for supplies and didn't come back for over a half hour. I remember feeling so wet I felt I could jump in a swimming pool to "dry off".

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember working at an air conditioning company just on summer break from college and it was 110 out and I was shoveling sand all day in the sun drinking ice water and another day was in an attic wrapping insulation around pipes there as we were converting the heating system to do AC also and I got stuck and it was about 105 outside and probably close to 150 where I was stuck and I just about passed out maybe even would have died as the guy I was a helper to left to go back to the shop for supplies and didn't come back for over a half hour. I remember feeling so wet I felt I could jump in a swimming pool to "dry off".
I like that you survived. :)

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I like that you survived. :)
I managed to get myself off of the nail that I was stuck on after wiggling for almost 10 minutes. My arms were in front of me in a narrow passage I could not get them around to reach the nail at all nor was there anyone there in the house to shout at. I've been in several hot places here when I was younger including cleaning the rollers on a plastic extrusion stack which is at the top of the bubble of plastic that they blow up and then make into plastic film. I had to use some chemical in 125 degree heat to clean the rollers and was only allowed 15 minutes up there due to the fumes and heat. That night I went roller skating with friends and still had not recovered from the heat and was still dizzy I could skate very far without falling down.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,158,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I managed to get myself off of the nail that I was stuck on after wiggling for almost 10 minutes. My arms were in front of me in a narrow passage I could not get them around to reach the nail at all nor was there anyone there in the house to shout at. I've been in several hot places here when I was younger including cleaning the rollers on a plastic extrusion stack which is at the top of the bubble of plastic that they blow up and then make into plastic film. I had to use some chemical in 125 degree heat to clean the rollers and was only allowed 15 minutes up there due to the fumes and heat. That night I went roller skating with friends and still had not recovered from the heat and was still dizzy I could skate very far without falling down.
Ah, yes, the heat and fumes together. Worst for me was age 18 summer job and we ended up in a chemical refinery in the 'caustic' section and they set me to work scooping out trenches of caustic mud with a shovel. It was summer in southern Louisiana, and because the caustic was constantly dripping from overhead, it was needed to wear rubber covers and some kind of water proof hat, so it's about 93F or so, but extra high humidity, and in direct sunlight, no breeze really, and the very hard physical work of shoveling the caustic mud from the 8 inch trenches underfoot into a wheelbarrow, while caustic drips on you and occasionally a splatter hits your cheek and burns. Like that. I was perhaps never so glad to end a work day in my life, any day before or since. So, I get it, kinda. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Sophrosyne
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,663.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Yikes! I've been in some nasty work conditions, but thankfully none of them left me alone in a dangerous situation.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Yikes! I've been in some nasty work conditions, but thankfully none of them left me alone in a dangerous situation.
I think a lot of people have been in dangerous situations they just don't realize it happened to them. Just crawling under a car to work on it when you have it lifted up has a little danger to it. I once worked using a table saw and a stupid person walked behind me and bumped me into the saw when I was pushing a board through it. I almost lost a few fingers maybe even a hand because he wasn't paying attention. I've almost been run over several times by drivers who were not paying attention luckily I was. There have times I wanted to drive fast to get somewhere but get a feeling I needed to slow down and saw an accident just ahead of me that I could have been a participant in if I had been there a minute or two sooner.

Upvote 0