Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Banning.. hmm seems places we all know that sell books.. they banned some books and the left agreed thought it the right choice. So how do "others" post about this story? Tell me if this does not tell us a tad more :)

"Virginia parents who want 'obscene' books banned plan to file restraining order against Barnes & Noble"
or
"Virginia book-ban enthusiast sues Barnes and Noble for showing books to minors"

So have we seen the books read them? Hmm yet we know they should not be banned. Might be a nice to remember our thoughts here when some write books that "should be banned" and get banned by many book outlets.. and was just about politics. :)
What books did the left agree should be banned?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Crikey. That is the stupidest thing I can imagine.

Why? Young people owning rifles is mostly confined to rural areas. The number of school shootings in the past 50 years involving long arms you couldn't even count on one hand. They simply aren't responsible for handgun violence to any appreciable degree.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What books did the left agree should be banned?
You'll be waiting a while to see that and even if you get a list, I'd imagine it's not in the context of general commerce, but school, though even that's a touchy subject

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why? Young people owning rifles is mostly confined to rural areas. The number of school shootings in the past 50 years involving long arms you couldn't even count on one hand. They simply aren't responsible for handgun violence to any appreciable degree.
Probably because rifles aren't able to fire as rapidly as a handgun or semi automatics and such. Unless you're doing a freaking sniper mission or something (like what Lee Harvey Oswald may have been involved in), rifles in general are meant for hunting for a reason.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The claim is that they are obscene. The courts have accepted the concept of obscenity, and that it is relative to the community. This may actually get past the courts.
The Miller Test requires the supposedly obscene works to lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. That's a really hard bar to pass. That's why inappropriate content, even really bad inappropriate content, is not considered obscene. That bar is going to be even harder to pass with these two books, since Gender Queer is an award winning book and A Court of Mist and Fury is critically acclaimed.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The claim is that they are obscene. The courts have accepted the concept of obscenity, and that it is relative to the community. This may actually get past the courts.

Obscenity (as a concept) is accepted and recognized by courts, but what actually constitutes it is where it gets pretty murky.

And recent cases have been largely been confined to publicly owned places and not privately owned ones.

For instance, there have been cities that have had "thong bans", but they've only applied to public beaches, pools, etc... A privately owned hotel within that city would still have the right to set their own wardrobe policy.

And I would have serious doubts this would pass muster if challenged in a higher court...

For instance, this would go up to the 4th circuit court of appeals if challenged, and when you look at the make-up of that judicial entity...

upload_2022-5-20_22-35-50.png

It's a pretty balanced court in terms of the main judges...

And the Senior Judges consist of 3 democrat appointees and 1 republican appointee

• Informative
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I wonder if the youth are exposed to the n-word, will they turn black? I mean if reading the word gay will make you gay, it stands to reason kids will be changing color depending on what they are reading. :sorry:
Makes sense. After all, they’re both a life style choice, right?

I mean come on: if people would just stop choosing to be gay and/or black wouldn’t we all be better off?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Giving kids guns or access to guns increases the chance that they will be killed by said guns.

Any parent who lets their kids have access to any easy way for them to be hurt or killed is insane.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Miller Test requires the supposedly obscene works to lack serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value. That's a really hard bar to pass. That's why inappropriate content, even really bad inappropriate content, is not considered obscene. That bar is going to be even harder to pass with these two books, since Gender Queer is an award winning book and A Court of Mist and Fury is critically acclaimed.

Yes, but the Miller tests assumes the banners and going to actually read the books before banning them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you want a government that censors content, this is what you get. Both parties like censorship. The only difference is what gets censored at the time.
I have an issue with people, that are lying on news programing and causing the nightmare in America. At least if someone is making things up on a book. It's put in the fictional area.

Upvote 0