Virginia Republican sues Barnes & Noble to ban books

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We all knew they weren't going to stop with the schools...

Effort to restrict sales of 2 books to minors in privately owned stores making its way through Virginia Beach court

A motion for a temporary restraining order to prohibit selling or lending either title to minors was filed with the circuit court Wednesday. For a “A Court of Mist and Fury,” the motion states requests stopping “the sale or distribution to minors by any person who publishes, sells, rents, lends, transports in intrastate commerce or commercially distributes or exhibits the book...”

“We specifically went after Barnes and Noble because both of the books were purchased at the local Barnes and Noble right here in Virginia Beach,” Anderson said in a Facebook Live video Thursday morning as he showed a receipt. “So we got the books at there and there’s no restrictions against purchasing these books.”

"This isn't about book banning; it's about restoring parental rights." Sure it is...

Thoughts?

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If you want a government that censors content, this is what you get. Both parties like censorship. The only difference is what gets censored at the time.

Yes, yes, "both parties do it, so let's ignore the fact that it's being done right now."

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,875.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
If you want a government that censors content, this is what you get. Both parties like censorship. The only difference is what gets censored at the time.

Probably true. But it would be good to know that you think that this is unacceptable.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, yes, "both parties do it, so let's ignore the fact that it's being done right now."
I'm not going to speak against censorship by Republicans while letting censorship by Democrats go. If we're going to accept censorship, we need to accept that both parties will censor and attempt to censor.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,875.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to speak against censorship by Republicans while letting censorship by Democrats go. If we're going to accept censorship, we need to accept that both parties will censor and attempt to censor.

I'll speak up against censorship that I think is unwarrented because I think it's unwarrented. Not because of who is doing it.

Seems that we differ on that aspect of it.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

While you talk about what they "will" do, this thread will be focused on what they are doing.

And right now, the GOP are banning books.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟378,031.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While you talk about what they "will" do, this thread will be focused on what they are doing.

And right now, the GOP are banning books.
My state had a Democrat governor who made it illegal to buy violent video games for teenagers. The current Democrat president installed a Truth Czar. Rank-and-file Democrat voters that I know have been active in canceling people they do not like from TV channels. That is what Democrats are doing now.

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,875.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My state had a Democrat governor who made it illegal to buy violent video games for teenagers. The current Democrat president installed a Truth Czar. Rank-and-file Democrat voters that I know have been active in canceling people they do not like from TV channels. That is what Democrats are doing now.

Is the op somehow too difficult to address on its merits?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Any or all of which will make a fascinating thread. Why not start one?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts?

Well. Your post caught my attention for a couple of reasons.

1) I grew up in Virginia Beach, though I live elsewhere now. Lookee what they're doing in my hometown.

2) I'm reading Gender Queer right now. Banned Book lists make good Recommended Reading lists, so when the book got into the news, I figured I should check it out. I'm happy to report that I was able to get it from my local public library.

As to the original question: If Barnes & Noble chooses not to sell a book, that's one thing. But I certainly hope that the court (when the case is finally decided) doesn't prohibit a privately-owned store like B&N from selling the books.

As for parental rights, the parent could always exercise those rights by not letting their 5-year-old wander unaccompanied through a Barnes & Noble.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟248,875.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well. Your post caught my attention for a couple of reasons.

1) I grew up in Virginia Beach, though I live elsewhere now. Lookee what they're doing in my hometown.

2) I'm reading Gender Queer right now. Banned Book lists make good Recommended Reading lists, so when the book got into the news, I figured I should check it out. I'm happy to report that I was able to get it from my local public library.

As to the original question: If Barnes & Noble chooses not to sell a book, that's one thing. But I certainly hope that the court (when the case is finally decided) doesn't prohibit a privately-owned store like B&N from selling the books.

As for parental rights, the parent could always exercise those rights by not letting their 5-year-old wander unaccompanied through a Barnes & Noble.

Quite right. There are reasonable precautions we can all take. As can the book stores.

I went into a major store in Sydney a few years ago to buy American Psycho. They didn't have it on the shelves to prevent minors browsing through it. And when they gave me my copy they wrapped it in plain brown paper - which I thought was a little over dramatic.

Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Yes, but that would require parents to actually, you know... do something. Wouldn't it be easier to just habe the government ban it, ban it, ban it! and take all the effort (and thought) out of the equation? The GOP seems to think so.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,390.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
"Parental rights" as constructed by the Right contradicts the notion of universal human rights. Children and adolescents are people, too, and are entitled to First Ammendment rights, the same as everybody else.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"Parental rights" as constructed by the Right contradicts the notion of universal human rights. Children and adolescents are people, too, and are entitled to First Ammendment rights, the same as everybody else.

To say nothing of the rights of teachers and bookstore owners... Which is exactly what the GOP politicians are doing... saying nothing.

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟261,907.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

This is why the United States is one of the only nations that refused to sign the United Nations’ “Declarations of Rights of the Child.”

Upvote 0