• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Virginia HB961 - Actual gun confiscation unless you register it with the state

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by 98cwitr, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,379
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    The presence of a gun in the "black market" means someone who legally owned a gun either had it stolen or sold it carelessly. And you think registered ownership would not help solve that problem. OK.

2. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover Supporter CF Ambassadors

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    It would not solve gun crimes because the mere fact that I did not report a gun missing would not prove who DID commit the more violent crime. Nor, would background checks do much if the person had a clean background and did something. Which remember, the only way you get a conviction is one getting caught and two either admitting guilt or the state having enough to prove beyond a reasonable doubt.

3. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,898
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    ???

4. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+12,379
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    No, but if you had been more careful (something registered ownership would encourage) the gun might not have gone missing to begin with. Further, the fact that the gun had a known owner at a certain point might be a clue as to whose hands it had been in subsequently.

Yes, if the police find a registered gun at a crime scene they may discover that it belongs to a person with a clean record. So what?

5. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Currently a mass shooting is defined as any time four or more people are shot. If they increased the number ( because if you asks me is not mass OR they said for example a mass shooting is only when four or more people are shot unrelated to another crime to narrow down to strictly big public shootings for no reason at all handguns probably would not be most mass shootings.

6. whatbogsends

whatbogsends Senior Veteran

+5,059
    Atheist
    You seem to think that because there is an age cutoff that the applicability of the law due to a 1 day disparity makes the law unjust. It's an absurd premise.

You think it's different between age 18 and someone who's 12?

Well, according to you, there's no difference between someone who's 18 years old and someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 29 days, correct?

Let's extrapolate.

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 29 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 28 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 28 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 27 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 27 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 26 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 26 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 25 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 25 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 24 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 17 years, 11 months, and 24 days and 17 years, 11 months, and 23 days?
    Is there a difference between someone who's 13 years, 0 months, and 1 day and 13 years, 0 months, and 0 days?

Is there a difference between someone who's 13 years, 0 months, and 0 days and 12 years, 11 months, and 29 days?

At some point there's going to be a cut off. Unless your argument is that there should never be laws that use age as a measure (drinking age, voting age, age for minor/adult), then there will ALWAYS be a 1-day cutoff between the legality which appears trivial in reality, but is meaningful in law.

7. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Meaning that if I sell a gun say I did a background check came back clean the next week the gun was used to commit a crime was I careless in selling the gun if I did a background check and had no reason to believe the person would do anything.

8. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+1,633
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    And I am saying maybe we should extend that to the general population of gun owners.

9. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    If a teenager commits a crime with a gun and the parents had no reason to know that the teenager might such as a history of mental health issues or a violent history that parent should NOT face charges for that teen's behavior unless the parent voluntarly gave the gun to the teen knowing that. At some point it should be considered acceptable to leave your gun unsecured for self defense purposes around minors. Now, if we are talking about leaving a gun in easy access of a very young child like a toddler that is different. Althoughm really a kid that young should never be left alone.

10. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Why? If someone is not using it in public why take the same safety course?

11. 98cwitr

+1,898
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Even if it was 10, handguns would still be at the top of the list. The ONLY mass shooting that would apply to your sentiment, to my knowledge (and I probably need to refresh things), would be Las Vegas. That said, 10k people die a year from DUI related accidents; should we look at repealing the 21st amendment and reinstating the 18th?

12. RocksInMyHead

RocksInMyHead God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!

+2,090
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Not all do - Montana, Alabama, Missouri and Indiana (at least, I haven't checked every state) do not require any training courses. Also, many more states allow open carry without a permit, which is another viable alternative for carrying a gun in public.

Edit: found the full list of states that don't require permits Constitutional Carry / Unrestricted / Permitless Carry | USCCA

Indiana requires a permit, but no training

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. 98cwitr

+1,898
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Montana is actually a FFA state. You can legally (according to state law but not federal) own a suppressor in Montana without going through the ATF/NFA requirements as long as the suppressor is produced in the state and you never travel outside of the state with it.

Firearms Freedom Act

14. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+1,633
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    Because lately, to many people have been taking them into public places and have not been acting safely. Or, they have had misjudged if they need to use them, or how to use them.

Some advanced training would cut down on such issues.

15. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+6,043
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    The black market isn't a place....it's just a term used, in this context, to describe the illegal sale and trade of firearms.

It just so happens those are a couple of the gun crimes that are easier to fight when there's a gun registry.

16. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+6,043
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    My guess is the visibility of assault rifles in mass shootings....they tend to get more coverage in the press.

Gun legislation is a pretty common issue on the left, and going after assault rifles is way to show "they're doing something" in a visible way.

It's their "border wall" in a way. It'll probably stop some high profile crimes....but you're correct, the majority of gun crimes in general are committed with pistols.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Yet, by body count rifles in general and assault rifles in particular take very few human lives a year, so would it not make sense if you are going to "do something" that you would at least go after what is likely to kill more people, as opposed to what kills more people AT A TIME.

18. dogs4thewin

+4,123
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I know the black market is a term not a place. That is actually the point of it people that buy stuff in general on the black market drugs, guns whatever else do not give a darn that they are not supposed to have it; whatever it is.

19. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+7,290
    Agnostic
    Married
    No, this is set state by state. For a CCW in my state you only need to pass a background check.

20. 98cwitr

+1,898
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    So shouldn't we scrutinize media bias and push back for effective measure to save lives? Rather than focusing on the tool used, isn't imperative we understand the root causes what was is encouraging people to commit these crimes? At least from my research, the solution to this is to reestablish fathers in the homes by removing the incentives that kicked them out in the first place (see Johnson's "Model Cities" program from 1965...that's where a lot of this started)?

While common, is it justified? My answer is absolutely not.

Agreed! Not to segue, but guns save lives more than they take the lives of innocent people.