• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

"virgin" in Isaiah 7:14

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by bethdinsmore, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Phillip Hawley

Phillip Hawley Y'shua HaMoshiach based Messianic Jew

+346
    Messianic
    Married
  2. Bananna

Bananna Contributor Supporter

+432
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Yep,
    Context defines the word.
    context culturally, location in the verses surrounding, Pronounds, prepositions, Overal picture.

That is why when someone neglects their OT scripture studies they have such a hard time discerning context of the Newer Testaments. I see it all the time. They memorize a theology and forget what the scripture actually says.

Bananna

3. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Uhhhhhhhh .......... WHAT???????

:confused:

4. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    Shalom all,
    Once again, I'm not going to debate theology, since I'm a guest. However, I still don't understand why there is so much controversy over Isaiah 7:14. I mean, don't the fathers of Christianity say that Matthew was originally penned in Hebrew? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that means Greek Matthew is a translation, no? So at best we're looking at a mistranslation.

Anyways, I checked out the available Hebrew Matthew manuscripts which some claim to have not been translated from the Greek, and I found out that they all quoted Isaiah 7 accurately, using the word 'almah'.

I'm not messianic, but from my studies on religion, I realized that those anti-whatever groups (be it anti-christian, anti-jewish, anti-mormon, anti-....<fill in the gap with your religion of choice>) too often misrepresent the beliefs of the groups they're fighting, and don't mind slips such as this one as long as their goals of getting people out of such groups is achieved. I find that appalling.

We are all born free, thank G-d, to chose whatever religion we want. If we think one spiritual path is wrong, then let it be for fair-reasons, not made-up half-truth arguments. And yes, Rashi does give the impression he finds 'virgin' a suitable translation elsewhere in his commentaries.

Oy, I would be so in trouble with the rabbi from our shul if he saw that post. ;) But well, I don't believe in bashing other people's religious beliefs.

Dave

5. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    An ashkenazi Tanach, now that's an interesting idea. It'd probably sound like this:

"Moishe, your brother Aharoin is building a golden calf for the people"
    "Oy vey, shtimm zich! Has Aharoin gone meshigene? This shtark gehert! When I get down there, he's in serious shtuk" :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

6. Wags

Wags Senior Veteran

+199
    Messianic
    Married
    LOL! :D

Sounds like something out of the "Extremely Reform Haggadah".

7. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Oh? Which one?

8. Phillip Hawley

Phillip Hawley Y'shua HaMoshiach based Messianic Jew

+346
    Messianic
    Married
    Priceless! Send me a copy. I don't want to have to wait for the movie! :thumbsup: I always thought Gene Wilder would have made a great Moishe. This script would be perfect! :clap:

9. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    DuTillet and another one I can't remember the name. I was told there are others which have a similar reading. Unfortunately, I can't post links yet, looks like I don't have enough 'blessings' whatever they mean by that.

10. Tishri1

Tishri1 Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    Well Joseph didn't get her pregnant!^_^

Whether or not that prophesy is for a virgin to conceive or not...A VIRGIN DID CONCEIVE:clap:...In Retrospect I would conclude that that is what was suppose to happen in the first place and thus was the prophet trying to get the message out THAT WAY...I would think so...:idea:

11. Tishri1

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    exactly were do you all meet to converse? I am puzzeled as to where you all go to exersize (since your hands are tied in here) can you post a link inside of cf where we can find you the most?:wave:

12. Tishri1

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    I wont tell:thumbsup:

Dave you are a breath of fresh air and I think we are twins separated from birth...I ditto your comment!:wave:

13. simchat_torah

simchat_torah Got Torah?

+407
    Judaism
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    To my knowledge the DuTillet is not posted in Hebrew in full on the internet...

14. iitb

iitb a.k.a. insaneinthebrain

+7
    Judaism
  15. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    Yes, that's the link! Thank you!
    Now, if only I could remember the other one, but I had too much Manischewitz at shul today. Maybe tomorrow when I'm feeling better. :blush:

16. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    I wouldn't be surprised. I'm the eldest of 7 siblings, two of which are twins. :cool:
    Most of them are married and have children already. Now imagine what it's like at Pessach after the 4th cup. ^_^

17. Tishri1

+4,097
    Messianic
    Married
    Yeh and it sounds like you have had a joyful time today too hehehe^_^

18. DavidHaCohen

DavidHaCohen New Member

+5
    Judaism
    yeah but it ended in too much l'chayim :sorry::blush:

19. bethdinsmore