✟31,962.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yep,
Context defines the word.
context culturally, location in the verses surrounding, Pronounds, prepositions, Overal picture.

That is why when someone neglects their OT scripture studies they have such a hard time discerning context of the Newer Testaments. I see it all the time. They memorize a theology and forget what the scripture actually says.

Bananna

Upvote 0

DavidHaCohen

Oct 13, 2005
✟203.00
Faith
Judaism
Shalom all,
Once again, I'm not going to debate theology, since I'm a guest. However, I still don't understand why there is so much controversy over Isaiah 7:14. I mean, don't the fathers of Christianity say that Matthew was originally penned in Hebrew? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that means Greek Matthew is a translation, no? So at best we're looking at a mistranslation.

Anyways, I checked out the available Hebrew Matthew manuscripts which some claim to have not been translated from the Greek, and I found out that they all quoted Isaiah 7 accurately, using the word 'almah'.

I'm not messianic, but from my studies on religion, I realized that those anti-whatever groups (be it anti-christian, anti-jewish, anti-mormon, anti-....<fill in the gap with your religion of choice>) too often misrepresent the beliefs of the groups they're fighting, and don't mind slips such as this one as long as their goals of getting people out of such groups is achieved. I find that appalling.

We are all born free, thank G-d, to chose whatever religion we want. If we think one spiritual path is wrong, then let it be for fair-reasons, not made-up half-truth arguments. And yes, Rashi does give the impression he finds 'virgin' a suitable translation elsewhere in his commentaries.

Oy, I would be so in trouble with the rabbi from our shul if he saw that post. ;) But well, I don't believe in bashing other people's religious beliefs.

Dave

Upvote 0

DavidHaCohen

Oct 13, 2005
✟203.00
Faith
Judaism
An ashkenazi Tanach, now that's an interesting idea. It'd probably sound like this:

"Moishe, your brother Aharoin is building a golden calf for the people"
"Oy vey, shtimm zich! Has Aharoin gone meshigene? This shtark gehert! When I get down there, he's in serious shtuk" :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

simchat_torah said:
Uhhhhhhhh .......... WHAT???????

:confused:

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
DavidHaCohen said:
An ashkenazi Tanach, now that's an interesting idea. It'd probably sound like this:

"Oy vey, shtimm zich! Has Aharoin gone meshigene? This shtark gehert! When I get down there, he's in serious shtuk" :D (sorry, couldn't resist)

LOL! :D

Sounds like something out of the "Extremely Reform Haggadah".

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟129,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DavidHaCohen said:

Priceless! Send me a copy. I don't want to have to wait for the movie! :thumbsup: I always thought Gene Wilder would have made a great Moishe. This script would be perfect! :clap:

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
whitneysyed said:
good post talmidim. I personally think Miriam/Maryam/Mary was a virgin and young but that's just my speculation (the young part).
Well Joseph didn't get her pregnant!^_^

Whether or not that prophesy is for a virgin to conceive or not...A VIRGIN DID CONCEIVE:clap:...In Retrospect I would conclude that that is what was suppose to happen in the first place and thus was the prophet trying to get the message out THAT WAY...I would think so...:idea:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tishri1

Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
chokmah said:
Love to be involved but:

[/size][/font]
exactly were do you all meet to converse? I am puzzeled as to where you all go to exersize (since your hands are tied in here) can you post a link inside of cf where we can find you the most?:wave:

Upvote 0

Tishri1

Supporter
Feb 28, 2004
Southern California
✟324,584.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
DavidHaCohen said:
Oy, I would be so in trouble with the rabbi from our shul if he saw that post. ;) But well, I don't believe in bashing other people's religious beliefs.

Dave
I wont tell:thumbsup:

Dave you are a breath of fresh air and I think we are twins separated from birth...I ditto your comment!:wave:

Upvote 0

simchat_torah

Got Torah?
Feb 23, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
✟9,917.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
DuTillet and another one I can't remember the name. I was told there are others which have a similar reading. Unfortunately, I can't post links yet, looks like I don't have enough 'blessings' whatever they mean by that.
To my knowledge the DuTillet is not posted in Hebrew in full on the internet...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidHaCohen

Oct 13, 2005
✟203.00
Faith
Judaism
I wouldn't be surprised. I'm the eldest of 7 siblings, two of which are twins. :cool:
Most of them are married and have children already. Now imagine what it's like at Pessach after the 4th cup. ^_^

Tishri1 said:
I wont tell:thumbsup:

Dave you are a breath of fresh air and I think we are twins separated from birth...I ditto your comment!:wave:

Upvote 0