Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This disturbing and utterly unnecessary incident reminds us why banning victimless acts like vaping is such a bad idea.

screen-shot-2021-06-14-at-104030-am.png

Image Credit: YouTube Screenshot, WMAR-2 News

Continued below.
Viral Videos: Maryland Teens Tasered, Hogtied, Arrested for Vaping

• Informative
Reactions: Jay Sea

Jay Sea

................ Ke ĉiuj vivu
Mar 28, 2020
victoria
✟26,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This disturbing and utterly unnecessary incident reminds us why banning victimless acts like vaping is such a bad idea.

screen-shot-2021-06-14-at-104030-am.png

Image Credit: YouTube Screenshot, WMAR-2 News

Continued below.
Viral Videos: Maryland Teens Tasered, Hogtied, Arrested for Vaping
All drug related matters are a public health issue and should not be criminalised. If we value every individual then we need to look at their best needs to recover from addiction. Prison or punishment is not the answer as their drug need is beyond their will power without some supportive help. All the present system does is line the pockets of the system custodians. There is enough money to provide help if only the powers that be could look into their hearts and if the truly want to practice Christianity distributed the wealth between everyone. In the Kingdom of G-d, which is supposed to be now among us, there is no elite or privileged. If you did it to the least of..........The elite must know the rest.
In Love
Jay Sea

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What and why is unnecessary??
In LOve
Jay SEa

Tazing a teenager over vaping is unnecessary. Also, teens should be allowed to Vape outside if their parents allow it... They just shouldn't be allowed to buy it.

...Bad laws make bad actions.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I thought there were supposed to be explanatory articles attached to 'current news and events' posts.

All I see here is someone being held down by three police officers. I don't think that qualifies as an article to support the claim of this thread.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi all,

I thought there were supposed to be explanatory articles attached to 'current news and events' posts.

All I see here is someone being held down by three police officers. I don't think that qualifies as an article to support the claim of this thread.

God bless,
Ted
Article is below the video.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi michie,

Well, I didn't see any video in the OP, but I do see it now in your response to me. Unfortunately I'm not willing to pay for Washington Post news.

God bless,
Ted
There is a free article below the video and there is no paywall with the WP link I posted. I hope this helps

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi michie,

I was able to find the story in the WMAR news archives. It seems that the actual evidence shows that the teens were initially told to not vape or smoke where they were as it was a violation of the law. The teens then began to get rowdy about it. I don't have any problem with police officers physically handling a lawbreaker that refuses to follow a lawful order from the police.

I taught my son to always, always obey the police. Even if you thought the contact was unwarranted. Respect those who are given the authority by the government over you.

I've watched videos where people got into trouble over a simple traffic stop because they became belligerent. That's just not a good plan when a police officer gives a lawful order or makes a lawful request. Police officers do very dangerous work in that they don't have any idea what kind of weapons or what kind of attitude a person is in at any given moment. Today, with all the firearms that we allow people to carry around with them, I fear for the police and unfortunately, they have to take all this into consideration. So when they tell you to do something and you get rebellious, yes, I would quite expect them to take physical action against you.

However, with all that being said, I do also believe that the police have a responsibility to be physical with a suspect in a manner that does not endanger the suspects life, as we saw happen in the George Floyd incident.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a free article below the video and there is no paywall with the WP link I posted. I hope this helps

Hi again,

Well, I did click on the picture in the OP and all I got was a bigger picture. No video arrow or written story at all. I did also click on the link in your last post and the WP site comes up with a picture and the first couple of lines of the story and after about 3 seconds the screen goes faded and a dialogue box comes up that says, "subscribe to continue reading'. I'm not particularly tech savvy so it's probably something on my end, but that's what I get when I click your links.

I do know that some sites allow you 2 or 3 free articles a month and so you won't see the pay wall until you've exceeded the free limit. I used to get most of my financial information and watch the stock market on marketwatch.com, but now they've gone to a pay wall and so, while I can still pull up their homepage, if I click on any of their articles they ask for money first.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi michie,

I was able to find the story in the WMAR news archives. It seems that the actual evidence shows that the teens were initially told to not vape or smoke where they were as it was a violation of the law. The teens then began to get rowdy about it. I don't have any problem with police officers physically handling a lawbreaker that refuses to follow a lawful order from the police.

I taught my son to always, always obey the police. Even if you thought the contact was unwarranted. Respect those who are given the authority by the government over you.

I've watched videos where people got into trouble over a simple traffic stop because they became belligerent. That's just not a good plan when a police officer gives a lawful order or makes a lawful request. Police officers do very dangerous work in that they don't have any idea what kind of weapons or what kind of attitude a person is in at any given moment. Today, with all the firearms that we allow people to carry around with them, I fear for the police and unfortunately, they have to take all this into consideration. So when they tell you to do something and you get rebellious, yes, I would quite expect them to take physical action against you.

However, with all that being said, I do also believe that the police have a responsibility to be physical with a suspect in a manner that does not endanger the suspects life, as we saw happen in the George Floyd incident.

God bless,
Ted
I do not know all the details. As the article below the video said, details are still unfolding. Police have a tough job but I think physical restraint needs to be meted out accordingly. From what I saw of the video, it was overdone. A couple of kids vaping do not need that type of treatment. Even if they were mouthy. But that’s my opinion. They were not waving guns. They were vaping.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi again,

Well, I did click on the picture in the OP and all I got was a bigger picture. No video arrow or written story at all. I did also click on the link in your last post and the WP site comes up with a picture and the first couple of lines of the story and after about 3 seconds the screen goes faded and a dialogue box comes up that says, "subscribe to continue reading'. I'm not particularly tech savvy so it's probably something on my end, but that's what I get when I click your links.

God bless,
Ted
Hmm. That’s odd. I’m sorry you are having problems. I try to make it a practice to never use paywalled article. I hope your issue is resolved soon.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not know all the details. As the article below the video said, details are still unfolding. Police have a tough job but I think physical restraint needs to be meted out accordingly. From what I saw of the video, it was overdone. A couple of kids vaping do not need that type of treatment. Even if they were mouthy. But that’s my opinion. They were not waving guns. They were vaping.

Hi michie,

I agree, that a couple of teens vaping shouldn't require that kind of restraint. That is until the couple of teens begin to get rowdy about it. In the video you can see one of the teens 'throwing' his bike at the police. That's not going to end well. I don't care what minor infraction you're being questioned about. When you get rowdy with the police they are going to subdue you. I think that their position as police officers certainly gives them the right and responsibility to do that.

What should they do? If the teen begins yelling at them, they should just turn around and walk away? "Oh, he's obviously upset that we've asked him to obey the law so let's just go home and forget about it?" Then you have to decide what infractions can you just yell your way out of. Can I holler and scream bloody murder to get out of a traffic violation? If someone, confronted by the police over some infraction just says, "Hey pig, leave me alone. F... you! I can vape if I want to!!! Is that the point that the officer should just reply, "Oh you seem upset. I'm sorry to have bothered you sir, you just go right on with what you're doing and let's just forget I was even here". Is that how it should be handled?

Just give me a short description of how you believe the police should handle someone who has been asked to not break the law, but then gets rowdy and in their face about it.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi michie,

I agree, that a couple of teens vaping shouldn't require that kind of restraint. That is until the couple of teens begin to get rowdy about it. In the video you can see one of the teens 'throwing' his bike at the police. That's not going to end well. I don't care what minor infraction you're being questioned about. When you get rowdy with the police they are going to subdue you. I think that their position as police officers certainly gives them the right and responsibility to do that.

What should they do? If the teen begins yelling at them, they should just turn around and walk away? "Oh, he's obviously upset that we've asked him to obey the law so let's just go home and forget about it?" Then you have to decide what infractions can you just yell your way out of. Can I holler and scream bloody murder to get out of a traffic violation? If someone, confronted by the police over some infraction just says, "Hey pig, leave me alone. F... you! I can vape if I want to!!! Is that the point that the officer should just reply, "Oh you seem upset. I'm sorry to have bothered you sir, you just go right on with what you're doing and let's just forget I was even here". Is that how it should be handled?

Just give me a short description of how you believe the police should handle someone who has been asked to not break the law, but then gets rowdy and in their face about it.

God bless,
Ted
Just restrain them enough and handcuff them and take them to the station.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tazing a teenager over vaping is unnecessary. Also, teens should be allowed to Vape outside if their parents allow it... They just shouldn't be allowed to buy it.

...Bad laws make bad actions.
Bet he will think twice next time though. The whole system is messed up. Free to smoke pot but not vape?
Thiefs being allowed because police aren't allowed to pursue them?
Idiots are making the laws.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lol, like it's always that easy.
No it’s not always that easy. My sister worked in law enforcement. But the real issue here is how law enforcement is willing to argue these things to a fever pitch. She even said as much. Look, if the person does not comply do not argue to a point where emotions run that high. Things happen where it is unavoidable but in this case they should of nipped it in the bud. It was vaping. It should never had escalated as it did.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just restrain them enough and handcuff them and take them to the station.

Hi Michie,

Right! But in a situation where you attempt to reach out and restrain an offender and they start pushing and pulling and struggling...how much is enough? Will it be enough for the officer to just step back and say, "Hey, stop making this difficult so I can get these handcuffs on you." You see, that's the problem. We aren't there and we don't feel the strength of the fight or the words and slurs being thrown about out of disrespect and belligerence. All we see is someone standing 30 feet away with a phone taking a video and all it records are the actions and sometimes, if it's close enough, the words. The police officer finds himself often in what he believes to be a fairly difficult struggle. I mean police officers are just human beings and most of us don't do well in a physical fight against another human being. Fights don't really work out like they are portrayed in the movies. One swing and you just knock somebody into submission or unconsciousness. Struggles can be very physical and as soon as the physical struggle starts, then the police officer has to be mindful that if he's overpowered, the offender might get his weapon and shoot him. I mean he doesn't know one way or the other what's going to happen if he gets overpowered, but it is, I'm sure, a fairly scary situation to find yourself in.

So yes, I agree. Restrain the offender just enough to get him/her handcuffed. But that isn't always just as simple as it sounds when you just speak the words. Many people are growing up with a fairly blatant disrespect for the law and so, just like we deal with unbelievers, someone who has no respect for the law can make themselves quite an armful if it comes to the pushing and shoving of trying to get them restrained. Unbelievers will argue with us till the cows come home about how wrong we are and what BS it is that we believe. Now we can just turn around and walk away in a discussion with an unbeliever, but police officers, once they start an incident with a suspect have to see it through. Let's not forget that the teens were breaking the law, no matter what your personal feelings are about smoking and vaping, the police don't get to hem and haw about whether or not the law is righteous, although I'm sure sometimes they'd like to, but their job is to stop people from breaking the law and in most cases arrest them or issue a citation to them for their offense.

Now, I'm firmly against what happened to George Floyd and I'm firmly against any police officer shooting someone over some minor infraction and certainly a suspect, for a minor infraction should never be shot in the back. But if you actually work the job, I think you'll find that getting someone restrained can be a fairly arduous task. Especially when you're dealing with someone who has no respect for authority.

Listen, the police officer should have just been able to say, "Hey, it's illegal to vape here and you need to put that away." And the offender respond, as he's putting the instrument in his pocket, "Yes sir, officer. I'll move on to somewhere else." But that isn't always how such police contacts work themselves out. I'm completely against what happened to George Floyd, but neither do I want the pendulum to swing to the highest orc of the other side. Where we tie our police officers hands to the point that they become fearful of actually doing their job for fear of repercussions.

God bless,
Ted

Upvote 0