Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*You are in the Catholic forum*

While the severely disabled Frenchman's life support was turned back on yesterday after a court intervention, his life remains in peril.

Continued below.
Vincent Lambert and the ‘Brain Death’ Debate

I agree with that Catholic position as described in the links. As I've mentioned before, my own mother was in a vegetative state for eight years after an auto accident before she finally died.

If we had to do it all over again, we should have had the doctors remove life support when it was first determined that her frontal lobes had been fully destroyed and the doctors declared there was nothing more that medical science could do.

However, we had kept her on life support until her brain stem had recovered enough to keep her body alive. That put us into the situation your links described, in which the level of care one would give a newborn was sufficient to keep her alive, and it would have taken "passive euthanasia" to kill her.

Well, we weren't going to starve her to death. So her body continued on for eight years. My question was--and still is--where was her spirit during that time?

Was her spirit chained to that useless body, kept away from the Lord, those years? Or had she already gone to be with the Lord and we were just wasting energy caring for it?

My current rule is this: When you reach the point the doctors throw up their hands, then remove their devices and leave it in God's hands. Let it totally be His miracle, or let His child go on home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0