Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
mhatten said:
Define euthanasia please. :)

Merriam-Webster - http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/euthanasia
"the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy"

dictionary.com - http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=euthanasia
"The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment"

Cambridge dictionary - http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=26511&dict=CALD
"the act of killing someone who is very ill or very old so that they do not suffer any more"

well, for the purposes of this thread/poll (as non-partisan as I can be) can we agree that euthanasia is:
"acting (or conciously not acting) to end someone's life, with (or without) their explicit consent, for the purpose of relieving suffering."?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
well, for the purposes of this thread/poll (as non-partisan as I can be) can we agree that euthanasia is:
"acting (or conciously not acting) to end someone's life, with (or without) their explicit consent, for the purpose of relieving suffering."?

I agree with above except for the bold, without consent then it isn't euthanasia.

So given that stipulation, I oppose the death penalty and abortion, but support euthanasia. I believe we we have the right to refuse treatment.

Upvote 0

rebel_conservative

Baruch HaShem! Praise G-d!
Feb 5, 2005
✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
mhatten said:
I agree with above except tfor the bold, without consent then it isn't euthanasia.

So given that stipulation, I oppose the death penalty and abortion, but support euthanasia. I believe we we have the right to refuse treatment.

just to be clear, do you oppose the legalisation of abortion?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
rebel_conservative said:
just to be clear, do you oppose the legalisation of abortion?

I assume you mean am I against legalized abortion, yes. I do have a couple of caveats, rape, incest and health of mother.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't consider refusing medical treatment if it would be painful and/or invasive a form of euthanasia. Sometimes the treatment is worse than the disease it treats.
I consider myself pro-innocent life.

Upvote 0

rebel_conservative

Baruch HaShem! Praise G-d!
Feb 5, 2005
✟26,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
mhatten said:
I ssume you mean am I against legalized abortion, yes. I do have a couple of caveats, rape, incest and health of mother.

good to hear :)

except you have made it more difficult for me to stereotype you ;) :p

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
rebel_conservative said:
good to hear :)

except you have made it more difficult for me to stereotype you ;) :p

That's okay because there are more than enough that are willing to streotype me, you and everyone else based on their little icons displayed.

Upvote 0

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wrote that I oppose the death penalty and support abortion and euthenasia.

As for my opposition to the death penalty and my support for euthenasia, those are pretty straightforward. My support for abortion on the other hand isn't. Abortion is absolutely sickening, in every regard. However, just like the failed War on Drugs, I envision the same sort of failure in a war on abortion. Outlawing abortion won't stop babies from being aborted, it'll just funnel that money into crime lords and filthy abortion clinics. What happens when money starts flowing into the underworld like that? All sorts of nasty things. Still, I'd like to see it be a royal pain in the **** to get an abortion... not the money part, but the counselling and such should be a tedious amount of work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Law of Loud

Apparently a Librul Moonbat <[wash my mouth][wa
Aug 31, 2004
Seattle
✟10,493.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
TwinCrier said:
So, by the comparison of abortion to drug use do I correctly presume you favor legalizing drug use?

I am in favor of legalizing relatively minor drugs such as marijuana, on the simple basis that outlawing them has been ineffective. Rather, I'd like to see at least some of the money we spend on enforcement instead spent on education. Furthermore, legalized drugs such as this are an opportune item to place taxes on, much like tobacco. At the same time, there's also the benefit that you'd avoid some of the issues that you have in that marijuana dealers lace their pot.

I don't agree with the drug use itself, but outlawing it seems worse than the intelligent legalization of it.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I oppose legalized abortion because it is not the choice of the child to die; the child is innocent. Now, do not bother saying: "But it is not a human life yet," because that will launch us into the same line of debate we could carry on forever, and I will not respond to it because I am sure you have heard it all before and it would be a general waste of my time.

I support euthanaisa, though, because it is the choice of a person involved to end their life. Suicide and euthanasia (I think we should just call euthanasia suicide because that is what it is with the circumstances of a chronically ill or very elderly person).

We have the 'right to choose death' if our lives are so horrible we do not continue (though I would never support a person to make that choice).

And I support the death penalty because it can (1) prevent recidivism and (2) it brings a greater sense of justice to the people to know that the butcher of their loved ones is not waking up at noon, watching cable TV all day, and getting ready to eat a pleasant dinner with the rest of the Aryan brotherhood.

(Someone in a different thread said "I think making McVeigh be in either general population or solitary confinement for life instead of death penalty would be worst," and I bring up the Aryan brotherhood now because that is where McVeigh would be; he'd probably be King of his cell block and be able to have several rape victims to go to at night -- death is always the worst choice barring extremely cruel punishments that our constitution forbids)

Upvote 0

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:
I assume you mean am I against legalized abortion, yes. I do have a couple of caveats, rape, incest and health of mother.

That seems reasonable. However, the doctor who came up with the procedure commonly known as "partial-birth abortion" said that women will claim they are "depressed" as their health reason....something he said was totally treatable.

Though I can agree that rape and incest are dire circumstances, it would be too simple for any woman to make that claim if they thought it was their only hope to having an abortion.

By the way, although I find abortion disgusting, it's not a big issue when I'm considering a candidate and I do have more respect for a woman who chooses abortion compared to women who have their babies and leave them for dead in trash containers and back allies.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
MaryS said:
That seems reasonable. However, the doctor who came up with the procedure commonly known as "partial-birth abortion" said that women will claim they are "depressed" as their health reason....something he said was totally treatable.

Though I can agree that rape and incest are dire circumstances, it would be too simple for any woman to make that claim if they thought it was their only hope to having an abortion.

Possible but those are my cavets.

By the way, although I find abortion disgusting, it's not a big issue when I'm considering a candidate and I do have more respect for a woman who chooses abortion compared to women who have their babies and leave them for dead in trash containers and back allies.

I can't understand either. Most states have those laws now if you leave the baby with someone, no questions will be asked etc. There is absolutely no reason to leave a baby for dead in trash cans and such. It's disgusting. :sick:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MaryS

Sep 12, 2004
✟3,195.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
mhatten said:
I can't understand either. Most states have those laws now if you leave the baby with someone, no questions will be asked etc. There is absolutely no reason to leave a baby for dead in trash cans and such. It's disgusting. :sick:

:amen:

a related article from the Bay Area news:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/07/15/BAG3C7LDPH1.DTL
(excerpts:
Three women, three weeks, three abandoned babies.

What goes on in the head of a woman who tosses her baby aside like last week's recycling? Aren't we wired to love the tiny fingers and velvety skin of a newborn? Why didn't the women take advantage of the "safe haven'' law that, since 2001 in California, allows mothers to drop off newborns at hospitals or firehouses, no questions asked?

Upvote 0

Cian

Síocháin ar Talamh!
May 24, 2005
Beloit, Wisconsin
✟8,097.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I oppose the death penalty on the grounds that it is a cruel and unusual form of punishment. I support euthanasia on the grounds that if one wants his or her life ended they should be granted this choice. I support legalized abortion because I believe I woman should have the right to choose.

Upvote 0