Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've thought a lot about my response to this. You are correct in that culture plays a huge part in today's marriages. Since we live in a "melting pot" it is quite easy to find a willing spouse-to-be that lives out tremendously different worldviews, cultures, and general dispositions. This can be problematic to couples when they start out life together. It isn't racial, although different races often present these challenges. My wife's parents were from out west. Although she was raised in the south, the differences were there. Many of the early tensions in our marriage came from these differences. Eventually as we became more and more one body they tended to go away. I could see how a greater difference could have negative consequences on a marriage. Again, these aren't deal breakers, but you must be willing to grow together. I imagine that when the world was composed of more cloistered groups that these issues weren't as magnified. Yet there have always been enemies present in marriages. The way media portrays relationships as some kind of "soul mate" endeavor is a disservice to marriage. Marriage should never be entered upon with the idea that conflict is a sign of doom. It takes work even if you are perfectly matched in culture, religion, and everything else. These things should be considered though as they will have an impact on your future. And yes, race is one of the considerations. That being said, I don't see anything Biblically or in Church Tradition that excludes interracial marriage. Some have the opinion that it is there somewhere but I haven't found it.

Yeah I guess it is something I will have to think about when the specific situation arises, thank you (and everyone else, thank you a lot for your thoughts). Like I said before, it is almost like I don't fit in anywhere so it seems my relationships tend to follow suit. But regardless I think this is just one piece of things to consider. I am just reading and thinking though, I don't have nearly as much experience or knowledge. Anyways, thank you for the advice. Really means a lot. And everyone as well, will keep all of this in mind.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An Orthodox Christian can marry any Orthodox Christian, no matter what nation that they or their ancestors might be from.

In terms of your own circumstances, certain cultural differences might be a valid reason why a marriage might be difficult, but that can be true even when the two people are of the same "race".

Upvote 0