Video: Things got really weird at San Bernardino’s synod opening Mass last week. And was that...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...the Aztec demon Texcatilpoca beating on the drum?

The Diocese of San Bernardino says its opening Mass for the Synod on Synodality Oct. 17 sought to celebrate the California diocese’s rich cultural diversity and welcome those on the “periphery” of the Church.

But the liturgy’s unusual pageantry, featuring liturgical dancers, a Native American prayer to the “four directions,” and the appearance at the end of Mass of a colorfully costumed figure that resembled traditional representations of an Aztec demon, has raised eyebrows and sparked criticism on social media.

“Paganism in full bloom,” read one comment on YouTube. “This is an absolute disgrace to God and His Holy Church,” stated another.

The Synod on Synodality is a global consultative process that Pope Francis initiated earlier this month to gather input from Catholics and others around the world about important issues confronting the Church. Many U.S. dioceses held Masses last weekend to inaugurate a yearlong period of listening sessions and other means of soliciting feedback.

Continued below.
Indigenous prayers, dancing in San Bernardino Synod Mass spark backlash

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟787,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
So many from Middle and South America were converted to Catholicism but they kept some of the old traditions.
From what I have observed, living in South America, the Catholic 'Saints', complete with images, are by many simply added to the list of idols already worshiped. The mindset of many, and maybe most, in these places is hardly Christianity, but superstition and even a form of Pantheism or Polytheism, with the notion that there is a spirit (or god) behind (or in) rocks and trees. To them Jesus is just another saint/god to be prayed to, though special, always depicted or sculpted on the cross.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟730,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
From what I have observed, living in South America, the Catholic 'Saints', complete with images, are by many simply added to the list of idols already worshiped. The mindset of many, and maybe most, in these places is hardly Christianity, but superstition and even a form of Pantheism or Polytheism, with the notion that there is a spirit (or god) behind (or in) rocks and trees. To them Jesus is just another saint/god to be prayed to, though special, always depicted or sculpted on the cross.
I wouldn't say that for the Catholic ones who have been baptized and confirmed. But some local traditions do hang around.

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,120.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes - in India also the God of the Christians as added to a pantheon of existing Hindu gods.

In Japan during the 250 years when Christianity was driven underground, the locals reverted to amalgamating Christianity with Buddhism and had statues that amalgamated the face of Mary with the body of Buddha.

• Prayers
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

The Diocese of San Bernardino says its opening Mass for the Synod on Synodality Oct. 17 sought to celebrate the California diocese’s rich cultural diversity and welcome those on the “periphery” of the Church.

But the liturgy’s unusual pageantry, featuring liturgical dancers, a Native American prayer to the “four directions,” and the appearance at the end of Mass of a colorfully costumed figure that resembled traditional representations of an Aztec demon, has raised eyebrows and sparked criticism on social media.

“Paganism in full bloom,” read one comment on YouTube. “This is an absolute disgrace to God and His Holy Church,” stated another.

The Synod on Synodality is a global consultative process that Pope Francis initiated earlier this month to gather input from Catholics and others around the world about important issues confronting the Church. Many U.S. dioceses held Masses last weekend to inaugurate a yearlong period of listening sessions and other means of soliciting feedback.

Continued below.
I think I am on the periphery now. As in maybe a remnant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My fears are being realized in that Synodality is nothing but a smoke screen to completely liberalize the church. The attack both from outside and within.
God wins. But it isn't looking good at the moment.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
God wins. But it isn't looking good at the moment.
Praise God.
Yes, the storms will come.
And before the end, satan will be given freedom to do what he wants.
But God is still all powerful, and He will triumph in the end.
There will be a Remnant of His people preserved unharmed, and others He will rescue from satan's grasp.
But this is happening so that the result of people making bad choices can be clearly seen by all.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
welcome those on the “periphery” of the Church.

No one is on the periphery.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light

We need to preach the gospel in spirit and truth.

The whole periphery is an excuse . It’s also patronizing .

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one is on the periphery.

We need to preach the gospel in spirit and truth.

The whole periphery is an excuse . It’s also patronizing .
I was going to say, if people are on the periphery it's bc they choose to be. The doctrines of the RC church are fairly clear cut.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
PSX_20211025_195618.jpg

Continued below.

Upvote 0