Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Many of these assumptions have been shown to be false and/or have other factors contributing to the issues that cannot be pinned simply on people being lazy. Also, the majority of the people benefiting from government welfare programs are white. By your using the phrase "their many liabilities" you are playing right into the racial biases that are a part of our culture as that's what we've been taught and programmed to think. Also, even middle class and wealthier minorities have to deal with racial injustice too, even though they supposedly have none of the disadvantages.

Because as I've mentioned before, using "all lives matter" would mean it would end up all about white people, and black concerns would be drowned out. Being better received isn't always desirable because it usually means that the minority compromises its needs for the majority in an attempt at pleasing them. Using "all lives matter" as a response dismisses their issues as being unimportant and why people have been getting upset with the phrase.

I don't believe it's all about finding excuses. There are some very serious problems with racial injustice in our culture and it negatively affects all of us.

One of our sister churches in my local area is having a documentary/movie-discussion on the subject of racial issues this upcoming Sunday afternoon, and I'm looking forward to going and seeing what results from it.

Like you say, you "mentioned ... black concerns would be drowned out." Now you mention it again with no defense after I argued against it. What makes you think anyone on the right (who are probably those suggesting the truer "All lives matter" would be better) would join the movement and modify it. Would it not continue to have pretty much the same players even if it was not so blatantly racist?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Like you say, you "mentioned ... black concerns would be drowned out." Now you mention it again with no defense after I argued against it. What makes you think anyone on the right (who are probably those suggesting the truer "All lives matter" would be better) would join the movement and modify it. Would it not continue to have pretty much the same players even if it was not so blatantly racist?

It sounds to me like you're asking them to concede and do things the way you think they should do them, and then maybe you'll consider helping them out, but that's been a large part of the overall issue on a wider scale. "Black lives matter" is not racist because it's already assumed and heavily embedded in our culture that white lives matter, even that white lives are superior, so if you remove the "black" from black lives matter, you're whitewashing it all over again.

Instead of getting angry about what they choose to call themselves, why not get angry about the actual racial injustice? You don't have to join the movement itself (and they likely wouldn't want floods of white people coming in and taking over the organization), but one can still be supportive of what it's trying to accomplish rather than fighting against it. Racial inequity hurts all of us.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
It sounds to me like you're asking them to concede and do things the way you think they should do them, and then maybe you'll consider helping them out, but that's been a large part of the overall issue on a wider scale. "Black lives matter" is not racist because it's already assumed and heavily embedded in our culture that white lives matter, even that white lives are superior, so if you remove the "black" from black lives matter, you're whitewashing it all over again.

Instead of getting angry about what they choose to call themselves, why not get angry about the actual racial injustice? You don't have to join the movement itself (and they likely wouldn't want floods of white people coming in and taking over the organization), but one can still be supportive of what it's trying to accomplish rather than fighting against it. Racial inequity hurts all of us.
Please respond to what I actually say, not "sounds to me like" fabrications.

Are you suggesting or claiming that I am "angry," to smear what I say with a negative?
I am not angry, only discussing, suggesting alternatives and seeing if they are defensible.

Lumping me with some who have asked for what you call "concessions" is not a very truthful response. I ask for NO CONCESSIONS ONLY ENLIGHTENMENT.

How does something being racist make something quite other not racist?
Is there some great principle I missed somewhere?

I spoke about "injustice" - do not even see you noticing you misspoke about it, seeming to call for injustice. Anyway, actual racial justice may be what we have now - what do you say to that?
Do you think "blacks" are not, in proportion to their amount of the total population, a much greater burden on society. So if you want to talk about "black" this or that ...
They should be much more condemned,
and, I suspect, even more suffer bias because of their very unlovely "things."

If they want to be the great activists, let them start first - if you are about to say "we must start treating them better."

In other words, they should clean up their act if they want better treatment!
Now that is a principle worth noticing.

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Please respond to what I actually say, not "sounds to me like" fabrications.

Are you suggesting or claiming that I am "angry," to smear what I say with a negative?
I am not angry, only discussing, suggesting alternatives and seeing if they are defensible.

Lumping me with some who have asked for what you call "concessions" is not a very truthful response. I ask for NO CONCESSIONS ONLY ENLIGHTENMENT.

I spoke about "injustice" - do not even see you noticing you misspoke about it, seeming to call for injustice. Anyway, actual racial justice may be what we have now - what do you say to that?
Do you think "blacks" are not, in proportion to their amount of the total population, a much greater burden on society. So if you want to talk about "black" this or that ...
They should be much more condemned,
and, I suspect, even more suffer bias because of their very unlovely "things."

If they want to be the great activists, let them start first - if you are about to say "we must start treating them better."

In other words, they should clean up their act if they want better treatment!
Now that is a principle worth noticing.

I absolutely do not believe that black people are a burden on our society. Not any more of a burden than any of the rest of us humans. We are all God's creations, and all of us, each and every one of us, have "acts" to clean up.

We must treat them better because we are to love one another and it's the right thing to do. Also, those of us with greater power have greater responsibility. Conditional love and condemnation is not a principle we as Christians need to be promoting.

Why not just help them?

• Agree
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I absolutely do not believe that black people are a burden on our society. Not any more of a burden than any of the rest of us humans. We are all God's creations, and all of us, each and every one of us, have "acts" to clean up.

We must treat them better because we are to love one another and it's the right thing to do. Also, those of us with greater power have greater responsibility. Conditional love and condemnation is not a principle we as Christians need to be promoting.

Why not just help them?
It may not be the right thing to do, if justice already prevails.

I think you are denying the objective truth if you say they are not generally speaking more of a burden and contribute less. How can you believe what you believe in the face of crime rates, etc. Is your belief NOT based on truth - just the way you want to view things?

Sure, there is the minor truth that, "we are all God's children," which is probably so minor it is not true. Way you put it seems you include non-Christians in that, and Scripture tells up some people are children of God and some are children of the Devil.
And sure, everybody could clean up their act - I was pointing to inequalities of the way people behave, what they deserve, i.e. justice.

Those with a cleaner act deserve better treatment. Justice.
I thought it was all about justice, not mercy.
I'm pretty sure the group does not claim to be some Christian response.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
It may not be the right thing to do, if justice already prevails.

I think you are denying the objective truth if you say they are not generally speaking more of a burden and contribute less. How can you believe what you believe in the face of crime rates, etc. Is your belief NOT based on truth - just the way you want to view things?

Sure, there is the minor truth that, "we are all God's children," which is probably so minor it is not true. Way you put it seems you include non-Christians in that, and Scripture tells up some people are children of God and some are children of the Devil.
And sure, everybody could clean up their act - I was pointing to inequalities of the way people behave, what they deserve, i.e. justice.

Those with a cleaner act deserve better treatment. Justice.
I thought it was all about justice, not mercy.
I'm pretty sure the group does not claim to be some Christian response.

Racial justice does not already prevail. (Nor does criminal justice, but that's a different discussion.)

I said we are all God's creations, and that is true. God still loves even those people who have not yet accepted his gift of grace, and still wants a relationship with them. It is not up to us to judge who he saves, but his desire is for all to be saved even though none of us deserve it.

Why not just help them?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Racial justice does not already prevail. (Nor does criminal justice, but that's a different discussion.)

I said we are all God's creations, and that is true. God still loves even those people who have not yet accepted his gift of grace, and still wants a relationship with them. It is not up to us to judge who he saves, but his desire is for all to be saved even though none of us deserve it.

Why not just help them?
Help me help them - if they paid any attention to us (and I very much doubt that) we would perhaps already be helping them. I am hoping what I (and you) have said may be useful, may help bring enlightenment.

It would surely help them if they perceived even the most simple obvious thing about themselves - that they are TOTALLY BLATANTLY RACIST, even in their very name. Point that out to them and you might be truly helping them, I would suggest.

Your SAYING "racial justice does not already prevail" is not much reason for believing that to be the case. Of course BLM folks would agree with you, that is, you are buying their view of things, their claims of victimization. But you are saying nothing that addresses my alternative view.

I guess you can't answer my question:

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Help me help them - if they paid any attention to us (and I very much doubt that) we would perhaps already be helping them. I am hoping what I (and you) have said may be useful, may help bring enlightenment.

It would surely help them if they perceived even the most simple obvious thing about themselves - that they are TOTALLY BLATANTLY RACIST, even in their very name. Point that out to them and you might be truly helping them, I would suggest.

Your SAYING "racial justice does not already prevail" is not much reason for believing that to be the case. Of course BLM folks would agree with you, that is, you are buying their view of things, their claims of victimization. But you are saying nothing that addresses my alternative view.

I guess you can't answer my question:

Maybe this article will help to explain things a bit better than I've been able to do up to this point:

"Here's Why Reverse Racism Doesn't Actually Exist in the U.S."
Here's why 'reverse racism' doesn't actually exist in the US

• Haha
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Maybe this article will help to explain things a bit better than I've been able to do up to this point:

"Here's Why Reverse Racism Doesn't Actually Exist in the U.S."
Here's why 'reverse racism' doesn't actually exist in the US
A bit of hooey.
Invent new concepts like "reverse racism" and then show that there ain't any. (I know it's not the invention of the writer of the article.)
Racism is racism - the idea of "reverse racism" is muddled at best.

And the concept "legacy of racism," suggesting if there is not actual display of racism (i.e. real racism) yet one race is so downtrodden it remains disadvantaged that that should be considered "racism."
Saying "RACISM" can only be a system of laws that systematically oppress a race.
Saying, "Racism, rather, is best known as a system in which a racial majority is able to enforce its power and privilege over another race through political, economic and institutional means." I think that is false - that the best known and obvious racism is when someone is discriminated against by another person only because he/she is of a different race.
If any definition qualifies as revisionism, surely it is the one that it must be institutionalized.

The article also claims: "... in a society where white is seen as the default race, all history is white history." Seems to me that must be false - "all history" is either what happened, or the record of it. In the first case it obviously includes all that has happened to blacks, and in the other, surely there are many books detailing what what has happened to them, even written by blacks!

So falsity and falsity is what you refer me to. (I have no doubt it would also be endorsed by BLM.)

• Agree
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
A bit of hooey.
Invent new concepts like "reverse racism" and then show that there ain't any. (I know it's not the invention of the writer of the article.)
Racism is racism - the idea of "reverse racism" is muddled at best.

And the concept "legacy of racism," suggesting if there is not actual display of racism (i.e. real racism) yet one race is so downtrodden it remains disadvantaged that that should be considered "racism."
Saying "RACISM" can only be a system of laws that systematically oppress a race.
Saying, "Racism, rather, is best known as a system in which a racial majority is able to enforce its power and privilege over another race through political, economic and institutional means." I think that is false - that the best known and obvious racism is when someone is discriminated against by another person only because he/she is of a different race.
If any definition qualifies as revisionism, surely it is the one that it must be institutionalized.

The article also claims: "... in a society where white is seen as the default race, all history is white history." Seems to me that must be false - "all history" is either what happened, or the record of it. In the first case it obviously includes all that has happened to blacks, and in the other, surely there are many books detailing what what has happened to them, even written by blacks!

So falsity and falsity is what you refer me to. (I have no doubt it would also be endorsed by BLM.)

It's not false. I've personally witnessed this discrimination towards black people and other minorities, and it happens regularly. Even when I went to check the weather on my local news site, they were reporting how someone left a noose at the segregation exhibit at the Smithsonian. Groups of white people near me using n-word jokes and thinking it's okay because I'm white too. Many black people are scared and afraid of getting beaten up or killed in some areas just for walking down the street and looking "suspicious". It goes on and on.

They have to worry about so many things that I rarely ever have to even think about unless I make a real effort to do so.

While I probably can't convince you or change your mind as it seems likely you would have to see or experience somehow for yourself what they are going through before it seems clearer, maybe at least keep trying to understand more from their point of view and help when you can. I am glad you have at least made an attempt here which is more than many other people in general have done.

I hope I've at least reasonably explained why people get upset about "all lives matter" though, even if you still don't agree with it, and that you may have a better idea of where they're coming from with the label, even if again you don't agree. I wish I was better at explaining.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
It's not false. I've personally witnessed this discrimination towards black people and other minorities, and it happens regularly. Even when I went to check the weather on my local news site, they were reporting how someone left a noose at the segregation exhibit at the Smithsonian. Groups of white people near me using n-word jokes and thinking it's okay because I'm white too. Many black people are scared and afraid of getting beaten up or killed in some areas just for walking down the street and looking "suspicious". It goes on and on.

They have to worry about so many things that I rarely ever have to even think about unless I make a real effort to do so.

While I probably can't convince you or change your mind as it seems likely you would have to see or experience somehow for yourself what they are going through before it seems clearer, maybe at least keep trying to understand more from their point of view and help when you can. I am glad you have at least made an attempt here which is more than many other people in general have done.

I hope I've at least reasonably explained why people get upset about "all lives matter" though, even if you still don't agree with it, and that you may have a better idea of where they're coming from with the label, even if again you don't agree. I wish I was better at explaining.

Thanks Rebecca!
I wish you were better at explaining too. Just after I objected to racism being characterized as "best known as a system" rather than individual discrimination, you present some examples of the latter. I understand that there IS racial discrimination and racism in present U.S. society and it does NOT make the lives of blacks any easier, just the opposite. You don't need to convince me that that happens. But that was not the subject of our discussion.

My point is that racist terminology and discrimination is not decreased by having a whole big BLATANTLY RACIST movement, obviously racist (to my mind) even in it's name, promoting one race and seeing everything in terms of the color of people's skin.

It is one approach and one can be sympathetic to why it arose, but I think it is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG-HEADED. I say that partly because I find it somewhat lacking in concern for truth.
Also, attitudes are important, and it seems some of the major problems come in interactions with police. If people tend to resist arrest that is not helpful, and spurring them on to do so even more is to be headed in the wrong direction. Such lack of respect becomes (is) mutual and it tends to amplify in both directions.

Negative attitudes on both sides build, and one wonders where it will all end.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Rebecca!
I wish you were better at explaining too. Just after I objected to racism being characterized as "best known as a system" rather than individual discrimination, you present some examples of the latter. I understand that there IS racial discrimination and racism in present U.S. society and it does NOT make the lives of blacks any easier, just the opposite. You don't need to convince me that that happens. But that was not the subject of our discussion.

My point is that racist terminology and discrimination is not decreased by having a whole big BLATANTLY RACIST movement, obviously racist (to my mind) even in it's name, promoting one race and seeing everything in terms of the color of people's skin.

It is one approach and one can be sympathetic to why it arose, but I think it is FUNDAMENTALLY WRONG-HEADED. I say that partly because I find it somewhat lacking in concern for truth.
Also, attitudes are important, and it seems some of the major problems come in interactions with police. If people tend to resist arrest that is not helpful, and spurring them on to do so even more is to be headed in the wrong direction. Such lack of respect becomes (is) mutual and it tends to amplify in both directions.

Negative attitudes on both sides build, and one wonders where it will all end.

If racial balance existed in our social structures, I would likely agree about promoting one race even in a name like that, but in the current atmosphere where non-dominant races get overlooked and/or oppressed, it's a way of putting some emphasis on those racial issues. Ideally, once we would reach this goal of racial equity, there would be no need for groups (or names) like Black Lives Matter because it would be clear to everyone already that black lives *do* matter. We're just not at that point, and I don't even think we're really even close to that point.

As far as interactions with police go, there is a big difference in how white people and black people perceive of the police, based on our historic and personal experiences. To a white person, we tend to see police as people who are honorable, who are here to help us when we need it, to "protect and serve", and we usually have no reason to fear them when we are obedient to the law.

Black people often have very different experiences in their lifetimes. Police are to be feared because even if you did nothing wrong, they still suspect you and may abuse you. You are guilty until proven innocent. The police do not exist to protect you, but to hurt you. Black people can literally be terrified to be pulled over during a routine traffic stop, so they may "act guilty" or insist they did nothing wrong even before being accused, or even run. Police in some areas recognize this problem and have created more outreach in order to improve relationships and trust between themselves and minority communities.

It's difficult for us as white people to understand this level of underlying fear because it's not something that we usually experience unless we really have done something wrong.

And then when we do break the law, white people and black people can get treated very differently both by the police and the criminal justice system, even if it's not always intentional.

I definitely don't have all the answers to these problems, and it's possible that Black Lives Matter may turn out to not have been the best approach long-term, but I still support what they are trying to accomplish with it and understand why "all lives matter" wouldn't be better due to the whitewashing effect it would have. A think a lot of conflicts over this name is a discrepancy between what many feel *should* be vs. the current reality.

I would look forward to the day when these issues no longer trouble any of us, where we don't see everything in terms of race, but being that we are all humans full of sin and living in societal structures saturated with sin in a fallen world, it's unlikely that we would reach this point on our own, before Jesus returns to set up his kingdom.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, black lives DO matter, and I think that is the point of the movement whereas there is corruption and injustice.
Your point is right. However, combatting corruption and injustice by engaging in acts of revenge isn't.

• Agree
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems to me they are saying "special attention must be paid to blacks."
I.e., ON THE BASIS OF RACE is how we must consider things.
How can that not be racist?

This one is pretty simple...because what "seems to you" only seems that way to you. I'm sure that's the way you see things but all said and done, it's still something in your mind that hardly equates to fact..

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
This one is pretty simple...because what "seems to you" only seems that way to you. I'm sure that's the way you see things but all said and done, it's still something in your mind that hardly equates to fact..

DITTO.

So you don't think,
"special attention must be paid to blacks.
I.e., ON THE BASIS OF RACE is how we must consider things,
" is (part of) their program?

How can it not be seen that way?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DITTO.

So you don't think,
"special attention must be paid to blacks.
I.e., ON THE BASIS OF RACE is how we must consider things,
" is (part of) their program?

How can it not be seen that way?

Are you replying to me or someone else' post? Where is the quote located?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Are you replying to me or someone else' post? Where is the quote located?

Is there an attempt to be obscure or obscure things?

What quote (in particular) can't you find?

Of course I am replying to you - I quote you in post #35.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there an attempt to be obscure or obscure things?

By me or you? I'm just attempting to get ananswer.

What quote (in particular) can't you find?

Of course I am replying to you - I quote you in post #35.

You sent me back to your post that has the quote in it.

Let me try again...you quoted someone in that post...who?

Also, quoting someone besides me in your reply to me, made me think you were replying to someone else, or should direst it at someone elase, or something. That "something" is what I am trying to figure out...nothing more

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
By me or you? I'm just attempting to get ananswer.

You sent me back to your post that has the quote in it.

Let me try again...you quoted someone in that post...who?

Also, quoting someone besides me in your reply to me, made me think you were replying to someone else, or should direst it at someone elase, or something. That "something" is what I am trying to figure out...nothing more

I'm sorry, but it looks like you are attempting to avoid answering the question.

Since you say I sent you back to the post that has "the" quote in it, presumably that is post #35.

Post #35 follows directly on post #34, where you quote what I said earlier. That quote by you in #34 is precisely the words of the quote in question, is it not?

I.e., you dismiss what I said in #34 and then pretend to not know where those words come from.
They are right there quoted by you in #34.

So please answer the question, how could they NOT be true, since you seem to insist they are not true (in your dismissive non-answer of #34).

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, but it looks like you are attempting to avoid answering the question.

Since you say I sent you back to the post that has "the" quote in it, presumably that is post #35.

Post #35 follows directly on post #34, where you quote what I said earlier. That quote by you in #34 is precisely the words of the quote in question, is it not?

I.e., you dismiss what I said in #34 and then pretend to not know where those words come from.
They are right there quoted by you in #34.

So please answer the question, how could they NOT be true, since you seem to insist they are not true (in your dismissive non-answer of #34).

I think you are jumping the gun with accusations when I am simply trying to understand your comment.

Considering your unfounded accusing attitude, I think it not worth my time to try to unravel the mess in your last post to find out what the question even was. If you think I was trying to avoid a question before, then you will surly think I am now, at which point I would recommend you take a close look at your assuming posts then think what you like..

Upvote 0