South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The only reason why I posted up this video in this section is because I am a Baptist and I wonder if we have a different point of view on the "Black Lives Matter" vs "All Lives Matter" "controversy". I think it is shocking and it is sad that the US is so divided even in the "subject" of whose life matter.

I have noticed that there may be a racial division when it comes to what matters especially considering the justice system and corruption. I believe that all lives matter, including black lives aand that we should come together as one with either similar viewpoints, or come to an understanding or agreement on whatever your or my view of this issue. Also, should or would it be wise to agree to disagree on this very issue since I believe that we should focus on not just one life or another.

Yes, black lives DO matter, and I think that is the point of the movement whereas there is corruption and injustice. My video is about I believe the Bible says on this matter. I realize that much of the video with a lot of verses, but I believe that it is also important for us as the Body of Christ to preach the gospel and to realize that we need to open our eyes.

Whether or not one agrees with the content of this video or not, I believe that this division is really sad, and pathetic. What are your thoughts on this video and your thoughts of this division and I think the answer is to be a salt and light to a society where there is division, hatred, and where people live in a culture of death that has I believed have caused many of US to be desensitized? Hopefully, what I have written is the pont of my video. Forgive me for the length of this said explanation.

Reactions: OwainK

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I always thought people were being mean, or purposely refusing to get the BLM thing, but it could be that some just don't get it.

BLM doesn't mean all lives don't matter, it's just that blacks are more so treated like their lives don't matter as much as the rest, and it's a fact as I see it. Actually, I don't see how anyone can miss that fact unless they choose to.

That's all, that simple, just a factual comment, that if nothing else, some should take note, it never says "only" black lives matter. How bout "Black lives matter too".

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I always thought people were being mean, or purposely refusing to get the BLM thing, but it could be that some just don't get it.

BLM doesn't mean all lives don't matter, it's just that blacks are more so treated like their lives don't matter as much as the rest, and it's a fact as I see it. Actually, I don't see how anyone can miss that fact unless they choose to.

That's all, that simple, just a factual comment, that if nothing else, some should take note, it never says "only" black lives matter. How bout "Black lives matter too".

The "simple factual comment" is to my mind BLATANTLY RACIST.

Whenever one race is singled out (for special treatment, different treatment than they are now getting, etc.) it it calling for action and viewing things totally in terms of race.

How can that be considered other than RACIST?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Whenever one race is singled out (for special treatment, different treatment than they are now getting, etc.) it it calling for action and viewing things totally in terms of race.

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

I guess the fact everyone has a different take on things, is why I had to make my comment to begin with. I have to wonder if there is any way in the world to explain it without someone having a problem with it.

As to your comment, i was aware of that prior to posting. Sometimes people are able to consider the circumstance, understand the writers full attitude/intention, then make certain allowances they may not otherwise make.

The above, and some might say you're splitting hairs, or reading entirely too much into it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Just noticed the flaw in your comment...no one is singling anyone out for special treatment, we think they should be given the same treatment as anyone, or not treated worse in the case of BLM.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Just noticed the flaw in your comment...no one is singling anyone out for special treatment, we think they should be given the same treatment as anyone, or not treated worse in the case of BLM.

Seems to me they are saying "special attention must be paid to blacks."
I.e., ON THE BASIS OF RACE is how we must consider things.
How can that not be racist?

One might say it is done in an attempt to correct wrongs, something like that, but I don't see how anyone can claim almost everything of the BLM movement is not totally blatantly racist?

Aren't they saying "everyone" must have better treatment, but only if their skin color happens to be some form of "black." It's about groups, their group (all of a certain skin color) are to be treated differently, and basically and only because of that skin color?

Are you saying if it not about some particular individual, and is about groups, it can't be racists? That make no sense to me. It's ALL ABOUT what skin color you happen to have.

• Agree
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

This is the basis of BLM - despite what people may attribute to the entire group.

This is it.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Special treatment in the case of black lives would be average, normal treatment.

That is the point - that Black lives are so undervalued that they *must* bring awareness to that. The special treatment they want is fairness and justice.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Special treatment in the case of black lives would be average, normal treatment.

That is the point - that Black lives are so undervalued that they *must* bring awareness to that. The special treatment they want is fairness and justice.

IF that is true, and I'm pretty sure it's not universally true, not true of everyone, yet I might be okay with what you say IF anyone subscribing to that view very upfront admitted they were blatantly totally RACIST in holding and propagating such a view.

Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
IF that is true, and I'm pretty sure it's not universally true, not true of everyone, yet I might be okay with what you say IF anyone subscribing to that view very upfront admitted they were blatantly totally RACIST in holding and propagating such a view.

Why would anyone willingly admit they are racist unless they have no money, career or reputation to lose?

That is another thing about the BLM movement: that there isn't ever enough evidence to vindicate them in justice. People in the States famously called black people liars for saying police brutalized and abuse alleged criminals (despite not too many years before that it was still considered an *event* to see blacks hanged from trees.) It took the Rodney King incident to force the majority of people to accept that, "perhaps they weren't lying so much after all."

But that still wasn't enough. Now that cops are literally shooting unarmed black men in "fear of their lives," the cycle has repeated. Except this time not even FACEBOOK LIVE is enough to vindicate the victims.

Not many people will admit they are racist because most people don't even realize how prejudiced they are in the first place. And, again that is another point. It is systemic, which leaves room for plausible deniability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Why would anyone willingly admit they are racist unless they have no money, career or reputation to lose?

That is another thing about the BLM movement: that there isn't ever enough evidence to vindicate them in justice. People in the States famously called black people liars for saying police brutalized and abuse alleged criminals (despite not too many years before that it was still considered an *event* to see blacks hanged from trees.) It took the Rodney King incident to force the majority of people to accept that, "perhaps they weren't lying so much after all."

But that still wasn't enough. Now that cops are literally shooting unarmed black men in "fear of their lives," the cycle has repeated. Except this time not even FACEBOOK LIVE is enough to vindicate the victims.

Not many people will admit they are racist because most people don't even realize how prejudiced they are in the first place. And, again that is another point. It is systemic, which leaves room for plausible deniability.

They should admit they are in the whole BLM movement racist because race should NOT matter, the color of skin should not matter. If they don't agree to that basic, if that is not understood, if there is not a far greater aim behind some drive against perceived unfair treatment, and that is that skin color never enter into the equation, then what would be the point of it? That they get treatment that is ever better because they have some particular skin color? Just for them - and that because of their skin color?
Simply to agitate for always having racism, to focus on it until nothing except race wars prevail?

If there is no hope to overcome the idea, the reality (to the extent it is), that race matters, then everyone is totally lost in racism, seems to me.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How can that not be racist?
Depends on your definition of "racist." Some define it ONLY as "the privileged majority discriminating against a disadvantaged minority on the basis of race. "

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
They should admit they are in the whole BLM movement racist because race should NOT matter, the color of skin should not matter. If they don't agree to that basic, if that is not understood, if there is not a far greater aim behind some drive against perceived unfair treatment, and that is that skin color never enter into the equation, then what would be the point of it? That they get treatment that is ever better because they have some particular skin color? Just for them - and that because of their skin color?
Simply to agitate for always having racism, to focus on it until nothing except race wars prevail?

If there is no hope to overcome the idea, the reality (to the extent it is), that race matters, then everyone is totally lost in racism, seems to me.

You're right. Race *should* not matter. However, in our current reality, it unfortunately does. Black people are discriminated against at nearly every level of our society, even to the point of being brutalized because of their skin color. Black Lives Matter is emphasizing that black lives *do* matter, and to respond back with "all lives matter" is dismissive of that point.

Yes, all lives do matter, but to use it as a response to black lives matter serves as an act of continuing with the current status quo of which they are still viewed as "less than".

Now as to whether or not the Black Lives Matter movement will prove more effective than some other method that could have been done remains to be seen, but I hope the above is helpful with why people get upset when others respond with "all lives matter" even if everyone agrees overall that all lives do matter.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You're right. Race *should* not matter. However, in our current reality, it unfortunately does. Black people are discriminated against at nearly every level of our society, even to the point of being brutalized because of their skin color. Black Lives Matter is emphasizing that black lives *do* matter, and to respond back with "all lives matter" is dismissive of that point.

Yes, all lives do matter, but to use it as a response to black lives matter serves as an act of continuing with the current status quo of which they are still viewed as "less than".

Now as to whether or not the Black Lives Matter movement will prove more effective than some other method that could have been done remains to be seen, but I hope the above is helpful with why people get upset when others respond with "all lives matter" even if everyone agrees overall that all lives do matter.

THEN, question would be, HOW might they come to be viewed otherwise, and NOT as "less than"?

The truer point following "ALL LIVES MATTER, would be ____________________________. (Fill in the blank please, someone!)
Just like "all lives matter" is the truer point, of "black lives matter" plus "black lives don't matter."
The addition is not so good, in their seemingly preferred view.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
THEN, question would be, HOW might they come to be viewed otherwise, and NOT as "less than"?

The truer point following "ALL LIVES MATTER, would be ____________________________. (Fill in the blank please, someone!)
Just like "all lives matter" is the truer point, of "black lives matter" plus "black lives don't matter."
The addition is not so good, in their seemingly preferred view.

The problem with going with "all lives matter" is that it would end up being all about white people's concerns and there would be blindness to the specific racial problems that currently exist. That's why it's important to put focus on black lives rather than "everyone" where black lives get drowned out.

Rather than arguing over labels though, why not just support them, even if just by agreeing there's a problem and standing up for racial injustice whenever you come across it?

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
The problem with going with "all lives matter" is that it would end up being all about white people's concerns and there would be blindness to the specific racial problems that currently exist. That's why it's important to put focus on black lives rather than "everyone" where black lives get drowned out.

Rather than arguing over labels though, why not just support them, even if just by agreeing there's a problem and standing up for racial injustice whenever you come across it?
Hi Rebecca,
TRUTH in labeling might be important - if not a label that correctly describes a movement, at least one that is true in itself, in what it itself says.
Even the movement itself does NOT claim their label is true - in fact an important point of it is that it is not true.

Why would a truthful label on BLM, e.g. ALM, ("salms fur thee poor") mean the concerns would change? Surely it would be the same people and they would be making the same protests? Right?
So I am pretty sure their concerns would be the same even if they had a truthful label.
(Course they being much "left-wing," I wouldn't expect them at any point to be much concerned with the truth - but that is a quite different matter.)

On "racial justice," I am sure many "stand up for racial injustice," but I doubt more than a few would admit it.
I recently noticed that perhaps true racial justice is when there is a bias (in things like housing and jobs) because of all the crap other people have to put up with from a particular race? Many things come to mind, high crime rates, making a stink all the time, playing the victum, etc..
Now there's one for you - perhaps requires a new thread?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Hi Rebecca,
TRUTH in labeling might be important - if not a label that correctly describes a movement, at least one that is true in itself, in what it itself says.
Even the movement itself does NOT claim their label is true - in fact an important point of it is that it is not true.

Why would a truthful label on BLM, e.g. ALM, ("salms fur thee poor") mean the concerns would change? Surely it would be the same people and they would be making the same protests? Right?
So I am pretty sure their concerns would be the same even if they had a truthful label.
(Course they being much "left-wing," I wouldn't expect them at any point to be much concerned with the truth - but that is a quite different matter.)

On "racial justice," I am sure many "stand up for racial injustice," but I doubt more than a few would admit it.
I recently noticed that perhaps true racial justice is when there is a bias (in things like housing and jobs) because of all the crap other people have to put up with from a particular race? Many things come to mind, high crime rates, making a stink all the time, playing the victum, etc..
Now there's one for you - perhaps requires a new thread?

Maybe part of the purpose Black Lives Matter has been served here (and why it may actually be a very good label) because even if you don't agree with them on the issues, you're still thinking about it, which is something many people may not have done before.

Concerning things like high crime rates, poverty and education play very large parts, and poverty can be very high and education opportunities very low among minority groups.Which of course leads to more people making a stink about it, so it all feeds into the other. I think we need to learn how to better put ourselves into the shoes of other people and try to see more from their perspectives. As a culture in general, we seem to have a very difficult time doing that, but it can help us gain better understanding without making as many assumptions that may not be true.

I don't believe many people are racially prejudiced on purpose, but there's a lot of it steeped in our culture in general that influences us in more subtle ways that we don't see without looking for it, so it is important for us to learn to recognize it n order to help resolve all of these issues.

Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Maybe part of the purpose Black Lives Matter has been served here (and why it may actually be a very good label) because even if you don't agree with them on the issues, you're still thinking about it, which is something many people may not have done before.

Concerning things like high crime rates, poverty and education play very large parts, and poverty can be very high and education opportunities very low among minority groups.Which of course leads to more people making a stink about it, so it all feeds into the other. I think we need to learn how to better put ourselves into the shoes of other people and try to see more from their perspectives. As a culture in general, we seem to have a very difficult time doing that, but it can help us gain better understanding without making as many assumptions that may not be true.

I don't believe many people are racially prejudiced on purpose, but there's a lot of it steeped in our culture in general that influences us in more subtle ways that we don't see without looking for it, so it is important for us to learn to recognize it n order to help resolve all of these issues.
You and I are both thinking of "all these issues," and anyone else who reads this.

YES, their poverty and not continuing much with education play very large parts.
Poverty often comes from not trying very hard to stay at a job (including the job of being a student), getting pregnant without a husband to help raise the kids, etc. Some of their many liabilities to the rest of society, including of course government (taxpayers') checks.

I agree it is important to be able to "put ourselves into the shoes of other people," but not ONLY to find excuses for them. Which I suspect much of BLM is about?
And oh, don't you think if they adopted the more truthful label, "ALL LIVES MATTER, it might just as well or even better be received and discussed by others? (At least it wouldn't be a blatantly racist label.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
You and I are both thinking of "all these issues," and anyone else who reads this.

YES, their poverty and not continuing much with education play very large parts.
Poverty often comes from not trying very hard to stay at a job (including the job of being a student), getting pregnant without a husband to help raise the kids, etc. Some of their many liabilities to the rest of society, including of course government (taxpayers') checks.

Many of these assumptions have been shown to be false and/or have other factors contributing to the issues that cannot be pinned simply on people being lazy. Also, the majority of the people benefiting from government welfare programs are white. By your using the phrase "their many liabilities" you are playing right into the racial biases that are a part of our culture as that's what we've been taught and programmed to think. Also, even middle class and wealthier minorities have to deal with racial injustice too, even though they supposedly have none of the disadvantages.

I agree it is important to be able to "put ourselves into the shoes of other people," but not ONLY to find excuses for them. Which I suspect much of BLM is about?
And oh, don't you think if they adopted the more truthful label, "ALL LIVES MATTER, it might just as well or even better be received and discussed by others?

Because as I've mentioned before, using "all lives matter" would mean it would end up all about white people, and black concerns would be drowned out. Being better received isn't always desirable because it usually means that the minority compromises its needs for the majority in an attempt at pleasing them. Using "all lives matter" as a response dismisses their issues as being unimportant and why people have been getting upset with the phrase.

I don't believe it's all about finding excuses. There are some very serious problems with racial injustice in our culture and it negatively affects all of us.

One of our sister churches in my local area is having a documentary/movie-discussion on the subject of racial issues this upcoming Sunday afternoon, and I'm looking forward to going and seeing what results from it.

Upvote 0