Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you have to also say that Trump has been very inappropriate to have been making all of his tired arguments against Obama. You can't have one without the other.

That is incorrect. Using your metrics, the people voted for Clinton, not Trump. Three million more. So by your standards the people wanted the same old thing.

Trump won the election because no one won the majority of the popular, which may have still gone to Trump depending on just how the electoral numbers fell.

It usually does.
Of course. It's disrespectful and childish no matter who is doing it, but especially to a sitting President (whether that was Obama, or is Trump now).

And get over the fact that we have an Electoral college system. Really. No one wants New York and California deciding every election. They are out there... way out there.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one wants New York and California deciding every election. They are out there... way out there.

We agree with you regarding those two strange overpopulated liberal places but, we should make a point of excluding the ones that live up top the mountain. Goats have a solid agenda.
M-Bob

• Haha
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And get over the fact that we have an Electoral college system. Really.
What makes you think that I have a problem with the Electoral College. Get over your right wing preconceived notions. If you don't like facts, don't get into a discussion with those that do.

No one wants New York and California deciding every election.
And no one wants right wing gerrymandered districts deciding elections either. But then, I'm from a small state so the EC makes my vote mean more than larger States.

In a nation with multiple political parties, an Electoral College is important in deciding elections, just like it was before the two present power parties got control.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think that I have a problem with the Electoral College. Get over your right wing preconceived notions. If you don't like facts, don't get into a discussion with those that do.

And no one wants right wing gerrymandered districts deciding elections either. But then, I'm from a small state so the EC makes my vote mean more than larger States.

In a nation with multiple political parties, an Electoral College is important in deciding elections, just like it was before the two present power parties got control.

Your post 9: "Pence lies when he said "The truth is, the American people in 2016 rejected the policy and direction of Barack Obama when they elected President Donald Trump." The truth is that the American people didn't elect Trump in 2016, a portion of the American people did vote for him while a majority voted for someone else."

Yeah, the American people DID elect Trump, according to our process. Trump is currently President, you may have noted.

If you don't like facts, don't get into a discussion with those who do.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your post 9: "Pence lies when he said "The truth is, the American people in 2016 rejected the policy and direction of Barack Obama when they elected President Donald Trump." The truth is that the American people didn't elect Trump in 2016, a portion of the American people did vote for him while a majority voted for someone else."

Yeah, the American people DID elect Trump, according to our process. Trump is currently President, you may have noted.

If you don't like facts, don't get into a discussion with those who do.
No, a portion of "THE AMERICAN PEOPLE" elected Trump. He won the process set forth by the government but when Pence implied that the people rejected Obama's policies when, in fact, 3 million more people voted for the Democratic candidate. America DID NOT reject those policies.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Logical fallacy of relative privation on the actor's part (and yours, for utilizing it)..."Hey, another guy is WORSE."

Not a legitimate argument.

That was a great swing, but a miss. It is a legitimate argument indeed. But sure, the better argument is to just lol at Pence complaining about President Obama, a politician, being too political.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That was a great swing, but a miss. It is a legitimate argument indeed. But sure, the better argument is to just lol at Pence complaining about President Obama, a politician, being too political.
No, it is a logical fallacy on your part, as clearly stated.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟449,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Stop calling me a "right-winger". I'm a Libertarian, thanks.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Stop calling me a "right-winger". I'm a Libertarian, thanks.
There are right leaning Libertarians as well. I am a left leaning Libertarians. I believe in the rights of individuals, which the right and left want to suppress.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's true that most voters wanted someone other than Trump. More of them wanted Hillary Clinton than wanted anyone else. About 3 million more of them.

Most of the time, the Electoral college also matches the will of the majority. Every now and then, it doesn't. That's the way things go.

But to pretend that Trump ever had the backing of most Americans, is to deny reality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟363,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are right leaning Libertarians as well. I am a left leaning Libertarians. I believe in the rights of individuals, which the right and left want to suppress.

Every political stand has two axis: Authoritarian/Libertarian and Left/Right. The latter is about to whom the product of economic activity should go, and the latter is how much the government should determine that.

Trump is a far-right Authoritarian by default. It's only because he doesn't have any principles, and therefore defaults to that corner behaviorally. There don't seem to be many far-right Libertarians any more. Here's where you can find where you are:
The Political Compass

Mine:
chart.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,077,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that President Obama showed almost superhuman strength during the transition period. Donald Trump had promoted the "birther" lies for years, never apologizing and never even admitting that they were lies until a quiet sentence during the campaign. Even though Obama had a sense of humor about it (I remember his hilarious references to Simba and Mufasa of the Lion King when he was making fun of all the "birther" baloney).

All five living former presidents have voiced disapproval of Trump's policies. Both George H.W. and George W. Bush have indicated they did not vote for him.

While former presidents do not normally go on the campaign trail or criticize current presidents, most working presidents aren't the subject of an investigation that has already resulted in a number of convictions and guilty pleas, nor have they had the number of corrupt Cabinet and staff members who resigned due to insider stock trading (Price), extreme expense account abuse (Pruitt), and abuse (Porter), among others. Rather than draining the swamp, President Trump populated it.

I support President Obama's efforts to get Democrats elected to restore the desperately needed checks and balances in our government. It is upsetting to see a Congress filled with enablers who are not encouraging President Trump to adhere to even marginal ethical standards.

Upvote 0