United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone

I want to reach out because I’m struggling with extreme paranoia about finding a church,I’m always worried that I’ll fall victim to a false teacher.Something like this has happened before,but not exactly,I’ve been so lonely and alone in trying to fight the good fight for faith and struggling so much with much needed biblical advice that I’ve practically turned to the Internet to search for help for biblical questions.And needless to say I’ve believd(no longer do) some things by false teachers,like Piper,MacArthur,Graham,Jeremiah.I feel very alone and very worried,I feel like my only friend in ministry help is Jesus,but he always seems distant from me.My parents church is ok,but I’ve never heard them teach repentance and they accepted a lesbian couple into the church so I’m very cautious as to returning there.

That’s why I’m always here because I have no one else who is Christian to ask for help.

Even though I know I have Jesus to talk to,im always harassed with intrusive thoughts provoking me to introspection,I’m always harassed and bullied by intrusive thoughts saying “Give up or fall away” and I spend hours on end praying for repentance and trying to make my heart feel the right way again.

I have pretty much only one friend and he isn’t a Christian,I know some of you may get angry at me for reaching out for help,but all I can say to those why may get irritated by this is,I’m sorry.

Can anyone offer insight?

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
When people say a pastor doesn't preach repentance, does that mean they exclude the doctrine that a Christian must be born again? Or is it that the pastor isn't acting like the congregation still needs to get saved?
I havent heard either be preached in my parents church!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone

I want to reach out because I’m struggling with extreme paranoia about finding a church,I’m always worried that I’ll fall victim to a false teacher.Something like this has happened before,but not exactly,I’ve been so lonely and alone in trying to fight the good fight for faith and struggling so much with much needed biblical advice that I’ve practically turned to the Internet to search for help for biblical questions.And needless to say I’ve believd(no longer do) some things by false teachers,like Piper,MacArthur,Graham,Jeremiah.I feel very alone and very worried,I feel like my only friend in ministry help is Jesus,but he always seems distant from me.My parents church is ok,but I’ve never heard them teach repentance and they accepted a lesbian couple into the church so I’m very cautious as to returning there.

That’s why I’m always here because I have no one else who is Christian to ask for help.

Even though I know I have Jesus to talk to,im always harassed with intrusive thoughts provoking me to introspection,I’m always harassed and bullied by intrusive thoughts saying “Give up or fall away” and I spend hours on end praying for repentance and trying to make my heart feel the right way again.

I have pretty much only one friend and he isn’t a Christian,I know some of you may get angry at me for reaching out for help,but all I can say to those why may get irritated by this is,I’m sorry.

You are not alone. God knows of your search and your struggles, and as always, He has an answer.
The first thing to do is to be grounded in God's Word.
The second part would be to read the Gospels, and see how Jesus taught the Disciples. If you happen to have a "Red letter" Bible, where Jesus' words are printed in red letters, that would be most helpful.
The third part would be to look for a Church that honors God, and centers their worship services on Him, His Word, and how we live and do God's will.
I sincerely hope that this helps you.

• Agree
Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
P.s. I can't stress that third part too much, because in these days:
How we honor God,
How we listen to Him,
and how we do His will:
Those 3 things, are what sets one church apart from another church.
And those three things are also what distinguish one follower of Christ from another.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟117,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone

Me too. Jesus is our only friend. He may seem distant, but He's not...i started looking for fellowship, 11 years ago, the early church in acts "devoted themselves to the apostles teaching, fellowship, communion, and prayer...and THE LORD added to their number daily". Try that, also, try fasting and praying...I still haven't found it, but know that Jesus is now my only friend.
ps. That's how I ended up online too. These forums can also be a distraction from Him. if you find real Christians, ask them privately for prayer...Stick to The Bible, and you can't go wrong. Don't trust in 'a church', there are false teachers and deceivers everywhere. I've met more than my share. Jesus said 'do not be deceived' by false teachers.
Jesus didn't trust men (mankind) "He didn't entrust Himself to them, because He knew what was in all men"

Numbers 6:24-26

• Agree
Upvote 0

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..I’m struggling with extreme paranoia about finding a church,I’m always worried that I’ll fall victim to a false teacher...

Lighten up..:)
Jesus said-"You have one teacher, me" (Matthew 23:10)

And he's simple enough to understand-
"..the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

So we should heed Paul's advice-
"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Corinthians 11:3)

I don't go to church because I've never felt the need; I've tried a few in the past but felt uncomfortable.
Jesus can be found in any slimline gospel like this and read in just a couple of days-

rel-gosp-john.jpg

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
m struggling with extreme paranoia about finding a church,I’m always worried that I’ll fall victim to a false teacher.Something

Two suggestions:-
Ask the pastor of your home church for advice about the churches in your area.
Or

Look at the churches on the christianityexplored Web site.
They are unlikely to be teaching false doctrine.

Before visiting a church check out there Web site, on line services etc etc

Upvote 0

Waymarker

May 5, 2009
✟19,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m struggling with extreme paranoia about finding a church,I’m always worried that I’ll fall victim to a false teacher..

In a sense, Christian Forums like this one are "churches", so that makes you a welcome member of our "congregation"..:)
Remember a church is people like us, not just bricks and mortar-

"God, who made the world and everything in it..does not dwell in temples made with hands" (Acts 17:24)
God says "Heaven is my throne, earth is my footstool, how can you build a house for me?" (Isaiah 66:1)
"Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?" declares the Lord . "Do not I fill heaven and earth?" (Jeremiah 23:24)

Upvote 0