Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've read the other threads, but none of them gave the info I need.

I fear my specific taste in metal and music prevents me from finding good christian metal that I truly enjoy. Let me give yall a good idea of my history of taste for the last several years, yall might be able to assist me.

When I was in high school I discovered Demon Hunter. I really enjoyed their music, but at times they just weren't hard enough for me. In college, I discovered Opeth (if no one knows who they are, they're a Swedish Death metal band). I truly believe to this day, that Opeth shaped where my music tastes are at. When I was in college i had my fall from Christ, started to listening to some bad music; Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir...you get the idea.

Since graduating and getting married. my wife has helped me find better music. Becoming the Archetype, In Grief, My Silent Wake. Since then I've also discovered Epica, Tristania, and the (hopefully) up and coming Whisper from Heaven. Of all these bands, what have I enjoyed most of them all?

*Demon Hunter: Positive lyrics and at times the beats
*Opeth: Growls, very long songs with sudden changes in both beat, music, and vocals. Excellent music. Number of albums available. Many times just instrumental
*Cradle of Filth: sound of the music and his mixture of screams and growls
*Dimmu Borgir: Sound of music and growls
*Becoming the Archetype: longer songs and sound of music
*In Grief: longer songs, growls and good lyrics
*My Silent Wake: very long songs, slower, some songs with sudden changes in beta, music and vocals. Many times just instrumental
*Epica: mixture of male growling and Operic female singing along with orchestra. Great sounding music. Some songs are long to very long. At times just instrumental
*Tristania: mixture of male growling and operic female singing. Sound of music
*Whisper from Heaven: From what they've sampled online, female operic voice, longer songs, instrumental.

------

I gave yall this list, to help yall distinguish more of my style of enjoyment for music. I love it when I find a band with very long songs, good growling, and also great sounding female voice. BTA's growling (or should I say screaming) gives me a headache now, along with some songs by Demon Hunter. Some bands like Nightwish and Within Temptation are good, BUT they aren't hard enough. I also don't like music from 80's due to the sound and the vocals.

I have spent countless hours online and on iTunes trying to find Christian metal bands with my specific of taste. I am in a way in between favorite bands right now, since most of the bands I listen to are not christian and I want to change that, but I have a difficult time finding one and enjoying it for an extended period of time. For example: Opeth, I discovered them in either 05 or 06. They're still probably my favorite band of all-time. While yes, the music is amazing, but the lyrics aren't the greatest (atleast they don't curse in the lyrics). I do not own their latest album due to lyrics.

By now, if yall have read all the way through, you're probably thinking that my tastes are too specific and/or you have a headache from trying to help me. I'm sorry either way. If yall can help me find something, I'd truly be grateful.

Thanks

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Thankfullfriend

Nov 23, 2012
✟15,114.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
You might like Extol. Undecieved is a good album.

I personally don't see anything wrong with listening to extreme metal that isn't religious (Carcass,Exhumed, Napalm Death,...)

Most of what I enjoy is black metal, but I understand that due to the anti-religious lyrics that it isn't for most.

Upvote 0

RecoveringwithChrist

Jesus is alive and so am I
Oct 30, 2012
Canada
✟7,744.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok I asked him for his fav metal bands and I didn't realize that you had specific tastes till now but he did give me a list of christian /metal recording labels that you can search.

Faithdown records, solid faith records, angra records and God fearing Youth.

If you want to know the list of the bands he told me are his favourite then let me know and I'll post it.

Upvote 0

Echolipse

Watcher and Studier
Nov 17, 2012
Florida
✟15,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok I asked him for his fav metal bands and I didn't realize that you had specific tastes till now but he did give me a list of christian /metal recording labels that you can search.

Faithdown records, solid faith records, angra records and God fearing Youth.

If you want to know the list of the bands he told me are his favourite then let me know and I'll post it.

I'll check out the labels and spend some time going through some of the bands. I have to admit, looking back over the last 10years, my tastes in music have changed alot, but at the same time they've barely changed.

Thanks everyone for your input and I'll look up those certain bands that yall mentioned. I know of Extol, i like one of their albums, but the rest of their albums, his screams give me a headache.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might like Extol. Undecieved is a good album.

I'll ditto Extol, though recommend Burial as the album of choice.

Extol - Burial - YouTube

It's been long enough since I've really been into the Christian metal scene that I feel a bit inept to really give recs, but I'll link up a bunch of artists who I am aware which might strike a chord with you.

Virgin Black:
Silent - Virgin Black - YouTube
Virgin Black Requiem, Kyrie - YouTube

Lengsel (for my money their album "Solace" is the best black metal album to ever fall under the "Christian" umbrella):
Lengsel - Revival - YouTube
Lengsen - Avmakt - YouTube

Antestor:
ANTESTOR - OLD TIMES CRUELTY - YouTube
Antestor - "The Bridge Of Death" (1998) unblack metal from Norway - YouTube

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums