• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Very depressed, and discouraged

Al106

Dec 27, 2014
✟7,632.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been suffering depression for many years. and over the last 5 year things have gotten progressively worse at my job. I am now working in the same position that I started at 11 years ago (that I hate) . and to make matters worse i just got my first negative review. over the past number of years i probably have applied for about 40 jobs but have not gotten any offers. I am really starting to think things will never get better in this life, is the only hope we have after we die?

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Stay strong, brother. Remember that God loves you no matter what happens to you. He's there for you :hug:

Since I've never been employed, I don't know how much advice I could give regarding jobs. However...

Look at the situation as objectively as you can, and from God's point of view. Does it really matter what sort of situation you're in in terms of employment, in the long term?

Be grateful that you are not unemployed, as painful and difficult as it might be to see joy in this situation. And please remember that for all you know, you getting demoted or "knocked back" or whatever to what you were doing before means nothing to God, who will use you regardless of your human rank and status. And also remember that other people's evaluations of how you do your job don't necessarily reflect reality. Maybe they don't like you, or maybe your depression has made you worse at your job. If that's the case, then it's clear your depression has really been serious.

When you get out of your depression (even though it takes time, I should know), talk to your higher-ups and explain to them that your depression messed you up badly. If they're human beings they'll give you another chance, and if you're as efficient at your work as you were before your depression chances are you can "move back up" quickly enough.

Trust God to help you with this dark time of your life and to fight your depression. I know it's painful and tough, but there is always a way out of it. :)

Upvote 0

chapmic

Follower of Jesus
Site Supporter
Sep 16, 2014
✟50,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Stay strong, every new day is a hope for you do not know when God will turn it around. Take it one day at a time, try not to think about your problems to much, try to find joy in small things throughout the day. God hears you mourning, stay in there he will comfort you! Praying for you and God bless you!

Upvote 0

mcastillo79

Dec 8, 2014
Miami, FL
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Stay strong, every new day is a hope for you do not know when God will turn it around. Take it one day at a time, try not to think about your problems to much, try to find joy in small things throughout the day. God hears you mourning, stay in there he will comfort you! Praying for you and God bless you!

this is very good advice!!! :amen:

Upvote 0

mcastillo79

Dec 8, 2014
Miami, FL
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Al, first of all, just wanted to say that we will be praying for you. The thing with depression is that by the grace of God, it will lift after a while. I had it VERY intensely for the last 5 years (hospitalized several times, 7 different pysch meds at the same time, etc...). It is finally starting to lift. Like others here have said, a negative review is not the end of all, things can still turn out in your favor. I am learning myself to take things, literally, one step at a time. Take your vitamins, stretch, go for a 30 min power walk before leaving to work every morning, do some reading and make sure your not drinking tons of caffeine and try to stay away from alcohol. Alcohol kills the neurotransmittors in you brain like serotonin and nor-epinephrine, which have the function of making you feel good. Declare the word out loud over every neurotransmitter in your brain. "By His wounds, WE ARE HEALED!!!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The feelings you cultivate bring you your weather. Instead of cultivating negative thoughts and feelings, grow positive thoughts and feelings.:thumbsup:

To beat depression we face the fight of our lives but with God it can be done.:amen:

Grow love for God, yourself because God loves you, and your neighbour as yourself. Pray for those who are hurting. Instead of growing an angry, hating heart, grow a loving heart and be free from the torture of depression.

Love is thankful:bow:
love is knowledgeable.:preach:
love doesn't remember past wrongs.:kiss:
love brings good feelings alive instead of bad.:hug:

Let God's loving word guide you away from the power of depression.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depression can happen from different reasons but one reason is chemical imbalance. In such case, there is little that a person can do except to get medication to restore the balance. Medication has help some people while others are not easy to cure.

I know someone who wanted to reduce his consumption of coffee and by cutting back too much too fast, he went into a depression. It was quite severe but he bear with it. He said when depressed you cannot feel or think, difficult to get out of his room on weekends (when he didnt have to got to work). e was healed 3 years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mcastillo79

Dec 8, 2014
Miami, FL
✟7,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Depression can happen from different reasons but one reason is chemical imbalance. In such case, there is little that a person can do except to get medication to restore the balance. Medication has help some people while others are not easy to cure.

I know someone who wanted to reduce his consumption of coffee and by cutting back too much too fast, he went into a depression. It was quite severe but he bear with it. He said when depressed you cannot feel or think, difficult to get out of his room on weekends (when he didnt have to got to work). e was healed 3 years later.

Very True, I went through the same thing. Many people gave me the wrong advice regarding the meds. I just recently wrote an article on my personal thoughts about it on by blog.

:groupray:

Upvote 0

Mikeolive

Jan 21, 2015
✟7,627.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depression is caused by an evil spirit. I have seen a guy command evil spirits out of people's lives, and when he would ask the spirit what they are doing, the spirit would say things like depression, fear, anxiety, addiction. Cast the spirit out and you are free INSTANTLY. I suggest getting a book in amazon written by someone who prays for pastors and evangelists called Addictions Spiritual Roots in amazon. It would change your life forever. The contents change my life instantly once I did what was spoken of in the book. I have never known freedom like I do now after that book. Get it - it has scripture all over it so you have God's truth to back you up.

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

I found that the B vitamins are 'washed out' by drinking water, soda, coffee, etc because they are water soluble and the body doesn't hold too tightly to them. Whenever I took a few , it greatly reduced my desire for coffee. without effort. (no will power needed). And no depression from lack of the vitamins needed for contentment and to deal with stress (as in the so-called stress-tabs, which are often B vitamins) .. (also called the happy pill - not a drug at all, just people are happier when they are in proper nutrition) .

• Informative
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0

Al Gammate

Jun 20, 2013
United States
Visit site
✟3,848.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I have been suffering depression for many years. and over the last 5 year things have gotten progressively worse at my job. I am now working in the same position that I started at 11 years ago (that I hate) . and to make matters worse i just got my first negative review. over the past number of years i probably have applied for about 40 jobs but have not gotten any offers. I am really starting to think things will never get better in this life, is the only hope we have after we die?

From my own personal experiences, during times when I had bouts of depression, I found that saying positive affirmations to myself such as "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13), several times a day, everyday helped to improve my mood.

On top of this, I took an herbal supplement called St. John's Wort that you can buy at any vitamin store. This boosts the anti-depression neurotransmitter called serotonin in the brain, but takes about a month for it to fully kick in. And lastly, I engaged in regular exercise to make my body feel better.

So in summary, I found that a regular dose of positive thinking, a serotonin-boosting supplement, and exercise effectively reduce depression and help increase success in life. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Al A. Gammate

Upvote 0