San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
People today think the Old Testament has little to do with our "New Testament" theology. Outside of prophecy, people don't think we should learn much about the Old Testament. I don't mean that nothing is taught from the Old Testament, but it is restricted to covering the main characters and history. Most churchgoers have been taught Gen 1-6, the story of Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Judges, 1st and 2nd Samuel, and 1st and 2nd Kings, with a little Chronicles thrown in. And of course, Ruth, Esther, Jonah, and Nehemiah. Let's not forget a lot of teaching from Daniel. If you are lucky, you will have gone through Job, Proverbs, Psalms and the Song of Songs.
But no teaching from Ezra, Ecclesiastes, or Lamentations.
Regarding the books of the Prophets, there is an excellent chance you have gone through Hosea and occasional verses from the other minor Prophets. Of the three biggest prophetic books, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, you will have gotten the most teaching from Ezekiel because of the prophecy about the nation of Israel and the "third Temple." Very little is taught from Isaiah and Jeremiah outside a few verses, which is criminal since Isaiah is extremely important, especially concerning theology. Another book that should be covered is Deuteronomy. Have you ever been taken through any of these three books? And we have our favorite proof texts covered, "I know the plans I have for you...," "If my people, who are called by my name...," and "For such a time as this."

Beyond that, parts of the Old Testament don't apply to us today. But, there are parts that people should be taught but ignored. The parts that are ignored harm us and mar the complete picture of God that every believer should have burned in their mind. God doesn't change. There are verses about God that are important to know. You can argue with me but you can't argue with the verses. These verses are as valid today as when they were written.

Deut 32:41 If I whet my glittering sword and my hand takes on judgement, I will render vengeance to my enemies and will recompense them that hate me.

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in a city and the people not be afraid? Shall there be evil in a city that the LORD has not done?

Job 42:11 "...and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him..."

Lev 26:30 I will destroy your high places and cut down your images...and my soul will abhor you.

Deut 7:10 And repays them that hate Him to their face to destroy them. He will not be slack to those who hate Him. He will repay them to their face.

2Chr 21:18-19 And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease. And it came to pass that after two years, and his bowels fell out...(Acts 12:21-23)

Ps 5:5-6 The foolish shall not stand in your sight. You hate all workers of iniquity. You will destroy liars. The LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Ps 10:3 For the wicked brags of his heart's desire, and he blesses the covetous, whom the Lord hates.

Ps 11:5 The LORD tries the righteous, but He hates the wicked and the violent man.

Ps 78:58-59 For they provoked Him to anger with their high places and moved Him to jealousy with their graven images. When God heard this, He was wroth and greatly abhorred Israel.

Ps 106:40 Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against His people, insomuch that He abhorred His own inheritance.

Ps 145:20 The LORD preserves all those who love Him, but He will destroy all the wicked.

Pro 3:32 For perverse people are an abomination to the LORD...

Pro 15:9 The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but He loves those who follow after righteousness.

Pro 17:15 He that justifies the wicked and he that condemns the just are both an abomination to the LORD.

Hos 9:15 All of their wickedness is in Gilgal, for there I hated them. Because of their wickedness, I will drive them out of My house and no longer love them...

Nah 1:2 "...the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries. He reserves wrath for His enemies.

Zec 11:8 "...My soul loathed them, and they hated Me.

After reading these verses, do you still believe God loves all people? And that His love is unconditional? Ask yourself this question, "Who does God love?" and read these three verses:

John 14:21 He that has my commandments and keeps them is the one that loves me. He that loves me will be loved by my Father. And I will love him.

John 14:23 "If a man loves me, he will keep my commandments. And my Father will love him...

John 16:27 For the Father loves you because you have loved me and believe that I came out of God.

You can believe what you like, but the verses say what the verses say. These verses are in your bible. You can believe them or ignore them. Even if you ignore them, that doesn't make the verses go away. Even if you don't like what the verses say, it doesn't make them not true.

John 14:

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deuteronomy 32

32 Listen, you heavens, and I will speak;
hear, you earth, the words of my mouth.
2 Let my teaching fall like rain
and my words descend like dew,
like showers on new grass,
like abundant rain on tender plants.
3 I will proclaim the name of the Lord.
Oh, praise the greatness of our God!
4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
upright and just is he.
5 They are corrupt and not his children;
to their shame they are a warped and crooked generation.
6 Is this the way you repay the Lord,
you foolish and unwise people?
Is he not your Father, your Creator,[a]
who made you and formed you?
7 Remember the days of old;
consider the generations long past.
Ask your father and he will tell you,
your elders, and they will explain to you.
8 When the Most High gave the nations their inheritance,
when he divided all mankind,
he set up boundaries for the peoples
according to the number of the sons of Israel.
9 For the Lord’s portion is his people,
Jacob his allotted inheritance.
10 In a desert land he found him,
in a barren and howling waste.
He shielded him and cared for him;
he guarded him as the apple of his eye,
11 like an eagle that stirs up its nest
and hovers over its young,
that spreads its wings to catch them
and carries them aloft.
12 The Lord alone led him;
no foreign god was with him.
13 He made him ride on the heights of the land
and fed him with the fruit of the fields.
He nourished him with honey from the rock,
and with oil from the flinty crag,
14 with curds and milk from herd and flock
and with fattened lambs and goats,
with choice rams of Bashan
and the finest kernels of wheat.
You drank the foaming blood of the grape.
15 Jeshurun[c] grew fat and kicked;
filled with food, they became heavy and sleek.
They abandoned the God who made them
and rejected the Rock their Savior.
16 They made him jealous with their foreign gods
and angered him with their detestable idols.
17 They sacrificed to false gods, which are not God—
gods they had not known,
gods that recently appeared,
gods your ancestors did not fear.
18 You deserted the Rock, who fathered you;
you forgot the God who gave you birth.
19 The Lord saw this and rejected them
because he was angered by his sons and daughters.
20 “I will hide my face from them,” he said,
“and see what their end will be;
for they are a perverse generation,
children who are unfaithful.
21 They made me jealous by what is no god
and angered me with their worthless idols.
I will make them envious by those who are not a people;
I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.
22 For a fire will be kindled by my wrath,
one that burns down to the realm of the dead below.
It will devour the earth and its harvests
and set afire the foundations of the mountains.
23 “I will heap calamities on them
and spend my arrows against them.
24 I will send wasting famine against them,
consuming pestilence and deadly plague;
I will send against them the fangs of wild beasts,
the venom of vipers that glide in the dust.
25 In the street the sword will make them childless;
in their homes terror will reign.
The young men and young women will perish,
the infants and those with gray hair.
26 I said I would scatter them
and erase their name from human memory,
27 but I dreaded the taunt of the enemy,
lest the adversary misunderstand
and say, ‘Our hand has triumphed;
the Lord has not done all this.’”
28 They are a nation without sense,
there is no discernment in them.
29 If only they were wise and would understand this
and discern what their end will be!
30 How could one man chase a thousand,
or two put ten thousand to flight,
unless their Rock had sold them,
unless the Lord had given them up?
31 For their rock is not like our Rock,
as even our enemies concede.
32 Their vine comes from the vine of Sodom
and from the fields of Gomorrah.
Their grapes are filled with poison,
and their clusters with bitterness.
33 Their wine is the venom of serpents,
the deadly poison of cobras.
34 “Have I not kept this in reserve
and sealed it in my vaults?
35 It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
In due time their foot will slip;
their day of disaster is near
and their doom rushes upon them.”
36 The Lord will vindicate his people
and relent concerning his servants
when he sees their strength is gone
and no one is left, slave or free.[d]
37 He will say: “Now where are their gods,
the rock they took refuge in,
38 the gods who ate the fat of their sacrifices
and drank the wine of their drink offerings?
Let them rise up to help you!
Let them give you shelter!
39 “See now that I myself am he!
There is no god besides me.
I put to death and I bring to life,
I have wounded and I will heal,
and no one can deliver out of my hand.
40 I lift my hand to heaven and solemnly swear:
As surely as I live forever,
41 when I sharpen my flashing sword
and my hand grasps it in judgment,
I will take vengeance on my adversaries
and repay those who hate me.
42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood,
while my sword devours flesh:
the blood of the slain and the captives,
the heads of the enemy leaders.”
43 Rejoice, you nations, with his people,[e][f]
for he will avenge the blood of his servants;
he will take vengeance on his enemies
and make atonement for his land and people.
44 Moses came with Joshua[g] son of Nun and spoke all the words of this song in the hearing of the people. 45 When Moses finished reciting all these words to all Israel, 46 he said to them, “Take to heart all the words I have solemnly declared to you this day, so that you may command your children to obey carefully all the words of this law. 47 They are not just idle words for you—they are your life. By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess.”

Moses to Die on Mount Nebo

48 On that same day the Lord told Moses, 49 “Go up into the Abarim Range to Mount Nebo in Moab, across from Jericho, and view Canaan, the land I am giving the Israelites as their own possession. 50 There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die and be gathered to your people, just as your brother Aaron died on Mount Hor and was gathered to his people. 51 This is because both of you broke faith with me in the presence of the Israelites at the waters of Meribah Kadesh in the Desert of Zin and because you did not uphold my holiness among the Israelites. 52 Therefore, you will see the land only from a distance; you will not enter the land I am giving to the people of Israel.”

Footnotes

Deuteronomy 32:6 Or Father, who bought you
Deuteronomy 32:8 Masoretic Text; Dead Sea Scrolls (see also Septuagint) sons of God
Deuteronomy 32:15 Jeshurun means the upright one, that is, Israel.
Deuteronomy 32:36 Or and they are without a ruler or leader
Deuteronomy 32:43 Or Make his people rejoice, you nations
Deuteronomy 32:43 Masoretic Text; Dead Sea Scrolls (see also Septuagint) people, / and let all the angels worship him, /
Deuteronomy 32:44 Hebrew Hoshea, a variant of Joshua

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Deuteronomy 32 explained:

Verse 1

Speak. Hebrew and Septuagint, "Heaven attend, and I will speak." (Haydock) --- Never was there an exordium more pompous, or better adapted to the subject. Moses calls those who never die to witness what he asserts, as if to insinuate that these truths ought never to be forgotten. See Numbers iv. 6. Virgil (Æneid xii.) imitates this style, Esto nunc sol testis & hæc mihi terra precanti, (Calmet) which puts inthe moth of Æneas, to whom Latinus replies, Hæc eadem Ænea, terram, mare, sidera juro.

Verse 2

Gather, as rain does from vapours; (Menochius) so let the sum of what I have taught you be collected into this short canticle, and penetrate your hearts. (Haydock) --- Chaldean, "may my discourse be as delightful as the rain." Septuagint, "may my apophthegm (or sententious discourse, Calmet) be expected with earnestness, like rain," when the soil is thirsty. (Haydock) --- Preachers are compared to clouds, and their speech to rain, Isaias lx. 8., and Ecclesiasticus xxxix. 4. --- Drops. Some explain this and the former term in the original, of "a stormy and vehement shower," while others attach this idea only to the last part of the sentence. (Calmet) --- The lawgiver wishes to engage the hearts of his audience by mildness, though he is forced also to thunder, in order to rouse their attention, ver. 15. (Haydock) --- Sound doctrine produces much fruit in good dispositions, as rain causeth the seed to push forth which has been sown in an excellent soil. (Worthington)

Verse 3

Invoke, or praise. (Vatable) --- Magnificence; admire and fear this greatness. (Calmet) --- The first duty of men is to praise God, the next to confess their sins, ver. 5. (Worthington)

Verse 4

Right. You cannot complain of having been first abandoned by God. All his works and proceedings are entitled to praise. Hebrew, "This rock, (hatsur) his works are perfect." (Calmet) --- Septuagint, "God, his works are true." (Haydock) --- God is often styled a rock, to denote this strength, ver. 18., and Psalm lxii. 8.

Continued below.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People today think the Old Testament has little to do with our "New Testament" theology. Outside of prophecy, people don't think we should learn much about the Old Testament. I don't mean that nothing is taught from the Old Testament, but it is restricted to covering the main characters and history. Most churchgoers have been taught Gen 1-6, the story of Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Judges, 1st and 2nd Samuel, and 1st and 2nd Kings, with a little Chronicles thrown in. And of course, Ruth, Esther, Jonah, and Nehemiah. Let's not forget a lot of teaching from Daniel. If you are lucky, you will have gone through Job, Proverbs, Psalms and the Song of Songs.
Regarding the books of the Prophets, there is an excellent chance you have gone through Hosea and occasional verses from the other minor Prophets. Of the three biggest prophetic books, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, you will have gotten the most teaching from Ezekiel because of the prophecy about the nation of Israel and the "third Temple." Very little is taught from Isaiah and Jeremiah outside a few verses, which is criminal since Isaiah is extremely important, especially concerning theology. Another book that should be covered is Deuteronomy. Have you ever been taken through any of these three books? And we have our favorite proof texts covered, "I know the plans I have for you...," "If my people, who are called by my name...," and "For such a time as this."

Beyond that, parts of the Old Testament don't apply to us today. But, there are parts that people should be taught but ignored. The parts that are ignored harm us and mar the complete picture of God that every believer should have burned in their mind. God doesn't change. There are verses about God that are important to know. You can argue with me but you can't argue with the verses. These verses are as valid today as when they were written.

Deut 32:41 If I whet my glittering sword and my hand takes on judgement, I will render vengeance to my enemies and will recompense them that hate me.

Amos 3:6 Shall a trumpet be blown in a city and the people not be afraid? Shall there be evil in a city that the LORD has not done?

Job 42:11 "...and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him..."

Lev 26:30 I will destroy your high places and cut down your images...and my soul will abhor you.

Deut 7:10 And repays them that hate Him to their face to destroy them. He will not be slack to those who hate Him. He will repay them to their face.

2Chr 21:18-19 And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease. And it came to pass that after two years, and his bowels fell out...(Acts 12:21-23)

Ps 5:5-6 The foolish shall not stand in your sight. You hate all workers of iniquity. You will destroy liars. The LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man.

Ps 10:3 For the wicked brags of his heart's desire, and he blesses the covetous, whom the Lord hates.

Ps 11:5 The LORD tries the righteous, but He hates the wicked and the violent man.

Ps 78:58-59 For they provoked Him to anger with their high places and moved Him to jealousy with their graven images. When God heard this, He was wroth and greatly abhorred Israel.

Ps 106:40 Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against His people, insomuch that He abhorred His own inheritance.

Ps 145:20 The LORD preserves all those who love Him, but He will destroy all the wicked.

Pro 15:9 The way of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD, but He loves those who follow after righteousness.

Pro 17:15 He that justifies the wicked and he that condemns the just are both an abomination to the LORD.

Hos 9:15 All of their wickedness is in Gilgal, for there I hated them. Because of their wickedness, I will drive them out of My house and no longer love them...

Nah 1:2 "...the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries. He reserves wrath for His enemies.

After reading these verses, do you still believe God loves all people? And that His love is unconditional? Ask yourself this question, "Who does God love?" and read these three verses:

John 14:21 He that has my commandments and keeps them is the one that loves me. He that loves me will be loved by my Father. And I will love him.

John 14:23 "If a man loves me, he will keep my commandments. And my Father will love him...

John 16:27 For the Father loves you because you have loved me and believe that I came out of God.

You can believe what you like, but the verses say what the verses say. These verses are in your bible. You can believe them or ignore them. Even if you ignore them, that doesn't make the verses go away. Even if you don't like what the verses say, it doesn't make them not true.

John 14:
The entire O.T. is part of the bible and the N.T. can not be fully appreciated unless the O.T. is understood, they are one book and not two books, the are interrelated and equally important.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John 14:
Plucking verses from scripture with no context is not wise either.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The entire O.T. is part of the bible and the N.T. can not be fully appreciated unless the O.T. is understood, they are one book and not two books, the are interrelated and equally important.
Agreed. . .and the relationship is concealed and revealed.
The OT is the NT concealed, and the NT is the OT revealed, and fulfilled.
The OT is incomplete, the NT is complete.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You can believe what you like, but the verses say what the verses say. These verses are in your bible. You can believe them or ignore them. Even if you ignore them, that doesn't make the verses go away. Even if you don't like what the verses say, it doesn't make them not true."

We need to add a word to all this "context" which you left out. Are some of those verses....hmm tied to the law? Spoken to only Israel?

Then you say "After reading these verses, do you still believe God loves all people? And that His love is unconditional? Ask yourself this question, "Who does God love?" Yet oddly you could have answered it by the same book "For God so loved the world He gave His only son that who so ever believes in Him will have ever lasting life". You could have posted the OT as in God saying "And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more" Or Christ saying "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”

According to the word those "sinners" are the unrighteous, unholy, wicked. Seems He loved those that hate Him so much He died for them. We can miss Christ in the OT. He is everywhere within it. So picking and choosing verses out of context we can make it paint it anyway we want. That's just it its our personal view

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums