Not open for further replies.

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Another one of InnerPhyre's random late-night thoughts......I was reading scripture tonight, and I came upon Hebrews 10:26-27

"If we sin deliberately after receiving knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains sacrifice for sins but a fearful prospect of judgment and a flaming fire that is going to consume the adversaries."

This seems like a pretty clear argument against OSAS to me, and a vivid definition of what we know is mortal sin... i.e. intentional. Am I interpreting this correctly?

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know it definitely goes against OSAS -
but -

How does this jive with the Sacrament of Reconciliation?

"It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift( Eucharist???) , who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because* to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting Him to public disgrace."

* in my Bible it says "Or 'repentance while'"

If it should read "to be brought back to repentance while to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again..." and means that we cannot repent during sin.. then that makes sense, but is that what it means? I am lost here.

I have never understood this passage, and I am glad you brought it up.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
this is another Good scripture... I included the last scripture do to the fact that it specifically mentions to who it is referring and that is the Brethren.
Romans 11
16 For if the firstfruit be holy, so is the lump also: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

17 And if some of the branches be broken and thou, being a wild olive, art ingrafted in them and art made partaker of the root and of the fatness of the olive tree:

18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root: but the root thee.

19 Thou wilt say then: The branches were broken off that I might be grafted in.

20 Well: because of unbelief they were broken off. But thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear.

21 For if God hath not spared the natural branches, fear lest perhaps also he spare not thee.

22 See then the goodness and the severity of God: towards them indeed that are fallen, the severity; but towards thee, the goodness of God, if thou abide in goodness. Otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24 For if thou were cut out of the wild olive tree, which is natural to thee; and, contrary to nature, wert grafted into the good olive tree: how much more shall they that are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

25 For I would not have you ignorant, brethren, of this mystery (lest you should be wise in your own conceits) that blindness in part has happened in Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles should come in.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
kimber1 said:
i always took that first verse mentioned above by the OP to mean if we blasphemed against the Holy Spirit that we could not find the Grace of God again. just my thoughts..:)

I think the verse from the seconf post refers to total apostasy from the Christian faith...look at all the atheists in General Apologetics or at the Internet Infidels forum...most of them are former Christians. Now they are complete apostates that talk about God all the time but supposedly dont believe in Him. They are interested enough to argue about it, and they mock Christianity, and anything we say doesnt matter. I know for a fact that they dont listen because I argued with them for a year in General Apologetics and nothing you say makes any difference, which is why the above verse is true...it is impossible to enlighten them once they have become apostates.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I know for a fact that they dont listen because I argued with them for a year in General Apologetics and nothing you say makes any difference,
actually, don't sell yourself short. :) i know from firsthand experience that some good (although rare i admit) comes from debating in there. kiwirob aka papist (once he converted) comes to mind. i remember feeling like i was beating my head against a brick wall trying to debate with him and then we started taking it to pm's and IM and witnessed my heart out :) then it's like he disappeared from the forums for awhile and when he came back, he pm'd me and told me that he was converting to Christianity because it finally dawned on him that there was just no way he could refute anyone anymore without believe we were all totally delusional which he siad we obviously weren't! *true story* :)

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
kimber1 said:
actually, don't sell yourself short. :) i know from firsthand experience that some good (although rare i admit) comes from debating in there. kiwirob aka papist (once he converted) comes to mind. i remember feeling like i was beating my head against a brick wall trying to debate with him and then we started taking it to pm's and IM and witnessed my heart out :) then it's like he disappeared from the forums for awhile and when he came back, he pm'd me and told me that he was converting to Christianity because it finally dawned on him that there was just no way he could refute anyone anymore without believe we were all totally delusional which he siad we obviously weren't! *true story* :)[/size][/font]

Wow...was he a Christian before he was an unbeliever?

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
yea i think he used to be a Christian and then turned unbeliever and then back again so maybe it was easier to get through to him b/c of that but he left me frustrated many a time i'll say that b/c he was so adamant about his beliefs. i remember getting really frustrated once and commenting that we weren't a bunch of mindless idiots following a myth ya know and he pm'd me very nicely apologizing for making me think that's what he thought of us and then it went from there. actually, there's a thread you may want to check out in GA now:
http://www.christianforums.com/t90117

*edited to say this isn't about kiwirob but to show you that seeds are being planted:)

Upvote 0

Bastoune

Jul 14, 2003
New York, NY, USA
✟1,694.00
Faith
Catholic
Well, I always ask, why are Peter, Paul and the others coming back with "reminders" so that they remain firm in the faith, if OSAS is true? Basically they are wasting their time writing for nothing!

"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway." - 1 Corinthians 9:27

"If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:11-14

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." - Matthew 10:22

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Matthew 24:13

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." - Mark 13:13

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." - Matthew 7:21

"Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed." - John 8:31

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." - James 1:12

"For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them." - 2 Peter 2:20-21

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Bastoune said:
Well, I always ask, why are Peter, Paul and the others coming back with "reminders" so that they remain firm in the faith, if OSAS is true? Basically they are wasting their time writing for nothing!

][/b]

I have often wondered that, too! It just seems so srtaightforward to me- but obviously that is not the case for everyone!!

In the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
Shannon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ShannonMcMorland said:
I have often wondered that, too! It just seems so srtaightforward to me- but obviously that is not the case for everyone!!

In the Sacred Heart of Jesus,
Shannon

Its not easy when they have pre-conceived notions that make OSNAS impossible...they simply ignore those problem verses or come up with some bizarre hand-waving explanation of them to believe OSAS.

Upvote 0

ps139

Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine!
Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
InnerPhyre said:
OSAS is, in my opinion, a security blanket, which gives a false sense of security. I wonder who would want to give Christians a false sense of security, so they'll think that nomatter what they do, they will avoid hell....hmm
Its also a marketing technique - when you can attract people to church by saying "Get saved here!! Heaven guaranteed!!"

There's actually a place near me called "The Soul Saving Station."

Upvote 0

Michelina

Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Hebrews 10:26-31 said:
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people." It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

It is certainly a very strong argument against OSAS.
After the persecutions started @64 AD, some weak Christians committed apostasy. They could not avail themselves of the sacrament of reconciliation unless they repented of their apostasy. It is natural and understandable that many Christians did not want to embrace the repentant apostates, but they did so. Many repentant apostates were required to do severe penances.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know every time i have debated the issue of OSAS I am never disappointed because along with the old I know that a new argument will come up in there somehow. But I think the best one of all that I ever heard was that it can't be true and all of those scriptures weren't meant for us because God is too loving and wouldn't do that to us.
Then the altime shocker for me was the time that someone said that they were Christian and they were saved but then didn't believe in the Bible either OT or NT nor that Christ walked the earth the way the Bible said because she couldn't trust the Bible. Also then discounted all of Christ's teachings. Now did I tell you this person said they were Christ...ian.
They come up with all types of excuses to discount things they are not comfortable with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.