Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's the same in the Orthodox Church. You get a mix. Some parishes (especially ROCOR) will pretty much insist on head coverings, while parishes like mine have a lot of women who don't wear head coverings, though some will wear hats, those doily things on their heads, scarves, chapel veils and mantillas.

I personally have a black chapel veil that I wore while traveling to various churches that I figured would be more strict on that sort of thing. I found it folded neatly in my purse the other day as I had forgotten about it. Anyway, I've not worn it in my home parish. The one time I asked my priest about it (as I was debating on whether or not to do this full time) I was snapped at and decided to drop it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's the same in the Orthodox Church. You get a mix. Some parishes (especially ROCOR) will pretty much insist on head coverings, while parishes like mine have a lot of women who don't wear head coverings, though some will wear hats, those doily things on their heads, scarves, chapel veils and mantillas.

I personally have a black chapel veil that I wore while traveling to various churches that I figured would be more strict on that sort of thing. I found it folded neatly in my purse the other day as I had forgotten about it. Anyway, I've not worn it in my home parish. The one time I asked my priest about it (as I was debating on whether or not to do this full time) I was snapped at and decided to drop it.
Snapped at? Why?

I just don't feel called to wear one. I know that there are many that do.

I run across a lot of old vintage ones that I scoop up & save for those that feel called to wear them though.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know why you would ask the priest. It's pretty much "anything goes" in the realm of what to wear to Mass. The Church, for most of the centuries, has required or requested it. Therefore, you may. Whether the priest likes it or not isn't a question. Honestly, if folks can wear shorts, tanks, flip flops, beachwear, and so on, why should Father Flannigan have a problem with people who dress like they're there to worship God? And no, I'm not suggesting that someone dressed as above isn't there to worship God, I just grew up with the concept of Sunday Best, rather than Come As You Are. Personally, for example, if I know I'm going to Mass before or after going to a ball game, and I plan to support my team by wearing a jersey, I'll take it as a change of clothes. But I'm not the fashion police.

My wife wears a mantilla, and I really like the eternity scarf idea. I'm going to show it to her.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll wear a scarf if I go to the Russian Parish - women there [ and little girls ] do wear scarves - long ones with the ends crossed in front and taken round to the back and hanging down your back :)

The other two parishes I go to - heads are uncovered

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Veiling making a comeback? I can believe it. Even in my very liberal (among the very veiless and hatless womenfolk in congregation) I'm beginning to see a lot more hats and veils of late. In fact one woman in the congregation complimented me on the veils I wear each Sunday.

Reactions: MoNiCa4316
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Veiling making a comeback? I can believe it. Even in my very liberal (among the very veiless and hatless womenfolk in congregation) I'm beginning to see a lot more hats and veils of late. In fact one woman in the congregation complimented me on the veils I wear each Sunday.
Have you been wearing the ones I sent? :)

I found a very strange head covering the other day. It's made with lace but has velvet ties. Almost bonnet like.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KatherineS

Jan 31, 2010
Washington, DC
✟5,152.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
I don't know why you would ask the priest. It's pretty much "anything goes" in the realm of what to wear to Mass. The Church, for most of the centuries, has required or requested it. Therefore, you may. Whether the priest likes it or not isn't a question. Honestly, if folks can wear shorts, tanks, flip flops, beachwear, and so on, why should Father Flannigan have a problem with people who dress like they're there to worship God? And no, I'm not suggesting that someone dressed as above isn't there to worship God, I just grew up with the concept of Sunday Best, rather than Come As You Are. Personally, for example, if I know I'm going to Mass before or after going to a ball game, and I plan to support my team by wearing a jersey, I'll take it as a change of clothes. But I'm not the fashion police.

My wife wears a mantilla, and I really like the eternity scarf idea. I'm going to show it to her.

Wearing a mantilla is like showing up at Mass with one breast bare and expecting praise for covering up the other breast, in my opinion. A proper woman wears a hat and gloves. Anything less suggests that she has compromised her virtue and modesty in my view.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wearing a mantilla is like showing up at Mass with one breast bare and expecting praise for covering up the other breast, in my opinion. A proper woman wears a hat and gloves. Anything less suggests that she has compromised her virtue and modesty in my view.
I wonder if Jackie Kennedy knew about her faux pas. Or Michelle Obama.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you ben wearing the ones I sent? :)

They are lovely. And see? It's not just me that says so.

I found a vey strange head covering the other day. It's made with lace but has velvet ties. Almost bonnet like.

Sounds similar to the one my deceased mother had, except yours is definitely fancier. Hers was fine dotted light net gathered "bonnet like" with grosgrain ribbon ties. Must be for folks who would wear their hair up.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are lovely. And see? It's not just me that says so.

Sounds similar to the one my deceased mother had, except yours is definitely fancier. Hers was fine dotted light net gathered "bonnet like" with grosgrain ribbon ties. Must be for folks who would wear their hair up.
Glad they are working for you AMDG. Yeah, the bonnet like ones had me confused but they come from a Catholic estate so I assume they were used as head coverings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nobody veils like the 'dox do!

114898.b.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I wear headcoverings in church.

I've worn hats (berets) but my hair is long and you can still see most of it that way. I usually wear a mantilla or a scarf now.

I've seen women cover their hair at my FSSP parish, at a more traditional church in the city (a basilica), and at the charismatic parish Adoration chapel. I hope this would lead to more women wearing headcoverings :) I just felt led to do it one time at Mass, after I asked St Padre Pio to pray for me, and that's how it started. :angel:

Upvote 0