Vatican reaffirms euthanasia is ‘intrinsically evil act,’ says those who seek it may not receive...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...sacraments

Vatican City, Sep 22, 2020 / 03:45 am MT (CNA).- In a new document released Tuesday, the Vatican’s doctrinal office reaffirmed the Church’s perennial teaching on the sinfulness of euthanasia and assisted suicide, and recalled the obligation of Catholics to accompany the sick and dying through prayer, physical presence, and the sacraments.

The document also addressed the pastoral care of Catholics who request euthanasia or assisted suicide, explaining that a priest and others should avoid any active or passive gesure which might signal approval for the action, including remaining until the act is performed.

Samaritanus bonus: on the Care of Persons in the Critical and Terminal Phases of Life is a new document by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), published Sept. 22.

The 45-page text, approved by Pope Francis on June 25, is signed by CDF prefect Cardinal Luis Ladaria and secretary Archbishop Giacomo Morandi.

The letter presents Catholic teaching on a range of end-of-life issues, affirming the intrinsic value and dignity of every human life, especially for those who are critically sick and in the terminal stages of life.

The document’s introduction noted that “it is widely recognized that a moral and practical clarification regarding care of these persons is needed.”

Pastoral accompaniment of those who expressly request euthanasia or assisted suicide “today presents a singular moment when a reaffirmation of the teaching of the Church is necessary,” Samaritanus bonus said.

Continued below.
Vatican reaffirms euthanasia is ‘intrinsically evil act,’ calls Catholics to accompany the dying

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
When my husbands were sick, it was like some of the hospital staff couldn't wait for them to die--it was extremely disturbing. I finally had to go to administers to tell some of them to back off. There is a depraved group out there that are ghouls and enjoy seeing people die. Now that euthanasia's out of Pandora's box, it's just gonna get worse.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When my husbands were sick, it was like some of the hospital staff couldn't wait for them to die--it was extremely disturbing. I finally had to go to administers to tell some of them to back off. There is a depraved group out there that are ghouls and enjoy seeing people die. Now that euthanasia's out of Pandora's box, it's just gonna get worse.
I’ve seen it too. It’s really scary.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0