Vatican insider: ‘Furious’ Francis demanded Benedict retract his name from priestly celibacy book

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Vaticanist Antonio Socci said that Pope Francis ordered Benedict’s secretary to remove the name of Benedict XVI from the cover of the book.

Vatican insider: ‘Furious’ Francis demanded Benedict retract name from priestly celibacy book
I hope that isn't true. Or, if it is, that there's a reasonable explanation for it.

Tbh though, my opinion of this pontificate is really starting to decline. In retrospect, I can overlook Pope John Paul II's kind of incompetent pontificate because of the amazing legacies he left behind and his strong stand against communism. But so far, I'm at a real loss to think of a lasting (positive) legacy that Francis will leave behind when his time comes.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope that isn't true. Or, if it is, that there's a reasonable explanation for it.

Tbh though, my opinion of this pontificate is really starting to decline. In retrospect, I can overlook Pope John Paul II's kind of incompetent pontificate because of the amazing legacies he left behind and his strong stand against communism. But so far, I'm at a real loss to think of a lasting (positive) legacy that Francis will leave behind when his time comes.
Confusion and avoidance? Passive aggressive homilies? Seriously, only things I can think of.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But so far, I'm at a real loss to think of a lasting (positive) legacy that Francis will leave behind when his time comes.

Probably a heavy deposit of Universalism. He may not be a Born Again Christian at all. He sure does say things that would make one doubt.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s strange when I think back when he was first elected. I never imagined he would have such a temper and so cold to the faithful.

So much for first impressions.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
It’s strange when I think back when he was first elected. I never imagined he would have such a temper and so cold to the faithful.

So much for first impressions.

Well to be fair, he did ask God to forgive us for electing him to the office at his first official speech.

What a gross error the 2013 conclave made...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well to be fair, he did ask God to forgive us for electing him to the office at his first official speech.

What a gross error the 2013 conclave made...
I don’t remember that specifically but it fits with the impression of how I used to think how humble he was.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No surprise, he has been kind of a loose canon for his entire pontificate.
Turns out the problems went back farther than that. His term as Jesuit provincial messed with his mind. And we are paying for that dearly.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Agree
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

Isnt freedom of speech a human right endorsed by the vatican? Perhaps Jorge Mario should undergo a crash course in European civil rights. In Argentina, its different perhaps (as its part of the periphery), but in Europe the pope is way off in his rhetoric.

I support Ratzinger both as a human being (who are to enjoy the same level of human rights as I do) and one of the greatest minds of our time.

The UN should (if they actually functioned!) have aired some similar concerns. Im genuinely concerned about the well being of Ratzinger as a suppressed citizen of the vatican state.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is there corroboration yet for this? Absolute armor piercing bombshell if it's true. And I suspect it is true, based on how curious Fr. Fessio thought it was for Benedict to retract it. To him it really didn't add up.
Seem like there really was a 'Furious Francis' moment which caused Ganswein to tell Benedict he had to retract his authorship. My question then becomes about Ganswein and who he is actually working for? Is he protecting Benedict from Francis or making sure Benedict behaves?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Seem like there really was a 'Furious Francis' moment which caused Ganswein to tell Benedict he had to retract his authorship. My question then becomes about Ganswein and who he is actually working for? Is he protecting Benedict from Francis or making sure Benedict behaves?

possibly both?
Someone who does genuinely want to help the Pope Emeritus
But also someone who wants to have a job in the Vatican after Benedict passes on

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
possibly both?
Someone who does genuinely want to help the Pope Emeritus
But also someone who wants to have a job in the Vatican after Benedict passes on
Interesting. It seems clear from cardinal Sarah's correspondence that Benedict was still 'with it' AND approved of the book. Fr. Fessio was baffled by the whole thing. Me too. I still find Ganswein's behavior inexplicable. Maybe it is just that he wants to have a job like you say.

• Agree
Upvote 0