• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vatican II's teaching on religious freedom changed policy, not doctrine

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+15,684
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Halbhh

Halbhh Hubble telescope saw in empty sky....galaxies! Supporter

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What is the church's official position on the Inquisition?

Does the church still think it has authority to kill people?

3. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater AgnusDei,qui tollis peccata mundi,dona nobis pacem Supporter

+4,574
    Norway
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Except she never did, you're confusing the church with the state.
    The church did declare people heretics, but the sword/ death sentence/ torture was carried out by the governments.

4. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    Stabat, you are such a huge help as I try to navigate and understand the Catholic Church better. I wanted to send something your way, especially in light of your real, valid concerns about Pope Francis ('cause the other thread was locked).

Mother of God

This link above gets you to an awesome forum, where Traditionalist Catholics and seekers can discuss, express fears and concerns, and call heresy heresy. And pray for one another, the Pope, and the Dubia Cardinals.

God bless you, man. You have been and are a great blessing, to me, and others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    Also, the only Scripture verse I've yet seen that might point to or allude to physical / life-ending punishment for sin would be1 Corinthians 5:1-5.

6. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Before you participate with anyone calling anything heresy, and me too, we should read through the 4 Gospels, so that we can be sure we don't call a direct paraphrase of Christ Jesus a 'heresy'.....

Why? Because reading though homilies from Francis, I'm seeing direct paraphrase after direct paraphrase of Christ Jesus.

Read 5 or 10, and see for yourself:
    Pope Francis - Homilies - Vatican Radio

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  7. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That excommunication, the only one in the NT I know of, was Paul wrote that in hope that by suffering outside the congregation, that flagrant sinner would turn and be saved, finally, before his end. In hope for his repentance. There was no execution.

Gospel of John, chapter 8 starts with how execution here on Earth is no longer done by believers, when when someone was guilty of an executable crime by the law.

8. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    Halbhh; I agree that heresy is a word not to be wielded lightly. But there are times when it is appropriate, and accurate. I won't get into that here. But having somewhere to talk about what is happening at the Vatican, in the Church, and in our hearts and minds as we go through increasingly difficult trials can be a huge blessing. I just wanted to point out a place on-line that might help Stabat, and others.

9. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, and I don't know for certain you were thinking of something Francis said, and wanted to warn you that over and over Francis lines up perfectly with Christ Jesus our Lord.

10. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, but my translation does say "destruction of the flesh". Not "emotional suffering".

11. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    Debatable. But again, not on-topic, so.... I think we can just agree that praying for Pope Francis right now is incredibly vital, and can not be done enough.

12. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    That's the text, accurately, yes, meaning that without the protection of the Church, outside it, he would be subject to (normal mortal) suffering without any protection of fellow believers or fellowship, and thus feel, as an emotion and thought and experience, the bad effects of the life of sin, and thus, hopefully, turn and repent. Unrepented sin leads of course leads to death, spiritually, but it also leads to suffering even here in the mortal life, in time.

13. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married

14. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+814
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    While it is true that the State carried out the death penalty, it is also true that the Catholic Encyclopedia itself acknowledges that at least five popes and probably more, forced the civil authorities to put heretics to death, under threat of excommunication.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+814
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I believe that Pope Francis is a Godly man.

16. Gracia Singh

Gracia Singh Newbie

+1,276
    Christian
    Married
    And my personal take on 1 Corinthians 5:1-5 is that it *seems* to be referring to a destruction of the flesh in this life, so that the soul may yet be saved on the Last Day. Which could at least include the possibility of executing heretics. Does anyone else have any info on this?

17. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Read the text and you see it is not believers, not the church, that does that destruction. If the church tried to do it, it would be acting as if that other force Paul wrote of, therefore you can be sure the church isn't to do so.

18. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,604
    Catholic
    Single
    I agree
    huh? where does it say that?
    you seem to be reading a lot into that situation
    you are looking at a particular event and assuming it means some standard response

for example the situation was used to entrap Jesus, not people seeking true justice
    only the woman was brought forth, not the man who was committing adultery with her, this clearly shows that this was not a true cry for justice

also it was not a court that was calling for her death, just a mob of people

but the main thing is that this was not a true search for justice but rather a way to entrap Jesus, either showing Him to be "soft on crime" or "harsh on common people"

also keep in mind that in Romans 13:4 Paul describes civil rulers as servants of God and agents of wrath for those who do wrong

19. Halbhh

+1,301
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    You are right to wonder where is the man.

But...a "mob" of scribes and Pharisees?

That's reading something into it.

How are they a "mob" when they come and ask Him and wait for His answer?

?

Read the passage and think again.

Once you realize it's not an impassioned mob, next notice what happens.

He changes the rule ...now His new rule is the person without sin is to cast the first stone.

Entirely new. That was #not# in the Law... until this moment.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  20. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+7,604
    Catholic
    Single
    you quote one word of my post and seem to pretty much ignore the rest
    if you read the Scripture the same way you read peoples posts I can see why your views are so deeply mistaken

thank you
    but you just seem to gloss over it
    an instance that specifically shows that this is NOT a normal case of someone breaking the law, this is one instance of many in the scripture where the Pharisees try to trap Jesus with what they see as "no win situations"
    I did not say an impassioned mob
    I said a mob, like a lynch mob
    a group of people acting in an extrajudicial manner in order to kill someone who they feel is guilty

they are not a legitimate authority, they are not just sadists, they are not soldiers or police
    so "mob" was the best word I could think of, maybe a bit anachronistic, but we should search for truth instead of just playing word games
    where does Jesus say this is the new rule?
    you are taking a specific instance and warping it into a hard rule
    a rule that goes against how Christians have historically interpreted this verse
    novel innovations dreamed up by the imaginations of men should be frowned upon when searching for the wisdom of God