Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ROME — Plenary or full indulgences traditionally obtained during the first week of November for the souls of the faithful in purgatory can now be gained throughout the entire month of November, the Vatican said.

Also, those who are ill or homebound and would not be able to physically visit a church or cemetery in the prescribed timeframe still will be able to receive a plenary indulgence when meeting certain conditions, the Apostolic Penitentiary, a Vatican tribunal that deals with matters of conscience, said in a notice released Oct. 23.

The tribunal also asked that priests be particularly generous throughout November in offering the sacrament of reconciliation and in administering Communion to those who are infirm.

Continued below.
Vatican extends time to obtain full indulgences for souls in purgatory

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
ROME — Plenary or full indulgences traditionally obtained during the first week of November for the souls of the faithful in purgatory can now be gained throughout the entire month of November, the Vatican said.

I never did understand this.

If one week going out to one month is a good thing... how about 12 months? What is the downside to 12 months?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never did understand this.

If one week going out to one month is a good thing... how about 12 months? What is the downside to 12 months?
You mean no special indulgences granted at certain times but continually?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You mean no special indulgences granted at certain times but continually?

yes.. plenary indulgence any time. My understanding is that you already have to be a saved Christian to get an indulgence anyway, so it is no like having the risk that someone on their way to hell will accidentally get an indulgence granted - right?

What is being preserved by not having every month as full plenary indulgence month?

If extending from 2 weeks to the full month of November is good -- why isn't one month extended to 12 months better?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Catholics can receive no more than one plenary indulgence per day from what I’ve read. I do not completely understand it myself but this short article may help you as well.

CATHOLIC ANSWERS TO PLENARY INDULGENCE QUESTIONS

Thanks! :)

Your article says this

"What does purgatory have to do with plenary indulgences?

After physical death, souls that still carry this lingering punishment go to purgatory - a spiritual state where souls are purified so they can enter heaven, Smith says. People who receive indulgences when they are alive can prevent their souls from going to purgatory after they die. But the church warns people should not feel like they have a license to sin before they receive a plenary indulgence. Catholics also believe that they can offer indulgences for people who have already died, essentially praying that their souls may leave purgatory and enter heaven."

=========================

Which still adds to the idea that if extending the time to get them goes from 1 week to a month... then how much better 12 months? What is the downside to this idea?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! :)

Your article says this

"What does purgatory have to do with plenary indulgences?

After physical death, souls that still carry this lingering punishment go to purgatory - a spiritual state where souls are purified so they can enter heaven, Smith says. People who receive indulgences when they are alive can prevent their souls from going to purgatory after they die. But the church warns people should not feel like they have a license to sin before they receive a plenary indulgence. Catholics also believe that they can offer indulgences for people who have already died, essentially praying that their souls may leave purgatory and enter heaven."

=========================

Which still adds to the idea that if extending the time to get them goes from 1 week to a month... then how much better 12 months? What is the downside to this idea?
@Davidnic or @chevyontheriver are my go to guys to understand certain aspects of the Faith better. I tagged them for you. Maybe one of them will drop in to help us both. Lol! :)

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
yes.. plenary indulgence any time. My understanding is that you already have to be a saved Christian to get an indulgence anyway, so it is no like having the risk that someone on their way to hell will accidentally get an indulgence granted - right?

What is being preserved by not having every month as full plenary indulgence month?

If extending from 2 weeks to the full month of November is good -- why isn't one month extended to 12 months better?
There are other indulgences for different things. There is an indulgence for reading the Bible. There is an indulgence for going on a retreat. Any time of the year. Others are tied to the calendar. It's not just November. You could get one today for Bible reading of I think an hour or more. The usual provisions applying of course.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are other indulgences for different things. There is an indulgence for reading the Bible. There is an indulgence for going on a retreat. Any time of the year. Others are tied to the calendar. It's not just November. You could get one today for Bible reading of I think an hour or more.

Ok but what about plenary (unlimited) indulgences? The point in the OP about having them for one week in November extended out to the entire month.. is a good thing right?

If one month is a good thing - why not 12 months? what is the downside to that?

I am just curious about how Catholics view this idea of plenary indulgences.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok but what about plenary (unlimited) indulgences? The point in the OP about having them for one week in November extended out to the entire month.. is a good thing right?

I’m just going to speak up and say I see no downside to it. But I’m not well informed in this area as a convert from Protestantism. The Church may have a very good reason for it I’m not aware of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

You can get a plenary indulgence for Bible reading any time of the year. Turns out it's for thirty minutes or more at a time. So the fact that there is an indulgence in November, well there are lots of other indulgences.

My guess is that the early November one has to do with All Souls Day, and was available the week after All Souls Day. Why they felt the need to extend it to all of November I haven't a clue.

When things are made available all the time they are often more ignored than something available all the time. A State Fair for example is only available at the end of the summer. If it ran continually, would it be special any longer? If this indulgence ran all year, then what of the Divine Mercy indulgence? Would that one have to also be available all year. Pretty soon it's like your birthday is all year long and then it becomes nothing special.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have read some catholic descriptions of purgatory that make it very clear that it is not a place you would want to be in - if a plenary indulgence could keep you out of it.
It would be far better than one of the alternatives. But no, not a place you would want to be.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have read some catholic descriptions of purgatory that make it very clear that it is not a place you would want to be in - if a plenary indulgence could keep you out of it.
I’ve heard and read all sorts of things about purgatory. I remember (I think it was Fr. Groshel) saying we’d be happier there than our happiest day on earth. I remember saying in confession that I had a fear of purgatory and the priest did not seem to think it was a place of torment except our longing for God. There are all sorts of thoughts on purgatory and I’m told it is not the same for everyone.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You can get a plenary indulgence for Bible reading any time of the year. Turns out it's for thirty minutes or more at a time. So the fact that there is an indulgence in November, well there are lots of other indulgences.

Sounds like that plenary indulgence is available all day long 365 days a year. Nothing particular to November in the one you are describing.

What is a plenary indulgence? - The Catholic Sun
VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Pope Francis said he will grant a plenary indulgence to the faithful who watch or listen to his extraordinary blessing “urbi et orbi” (to the city and the world) at 6 p.m. Rome time (10 a.m. PT) March 27.

What are indulgences and plenary indulgences and is the concept biblical? | GotQuestions.org
". An indulgence is partial if it removes part of the temporal punishment due to sin, or plenary if it removes all punishment.

"An indulgence can be obtained through a good deed done, a Mass being offered on behalf of someone, prayer, abstinence, giving to the poor, or some other meritorious act performed in accordance with requirements set by a Pope or bishop having jurisdiction over that individual. The offering of a Mass for someone is seen as one of the most effective means of reducing the temporal punishment of that person in Purgatory. A partial indulgence will reduce the temporal punishment a person has. A plenary indulgence will remove all temporal punishment."

============================

The article in the OP says this --

"Plenary or full indulgences traditionally obtained during the first week of November for the souls of the faithful in purgatory can now be gained throughout the entire month of November, the Vatican said.

Also, those who are ill or homebound and would not be able to physically visit a church or cemetery in the prescribed timeframe still will be able to receive a plenary indulgence when meeting certain conditions, the Apostolic Penitentiary, a Vatican tribunal that deals with matters of conscience, said in a notice released Oct. 23."

Sounds to me like this is a special dispensation for November. Or am I missing something?

If you can read your Bible for 15 minutes any day of the year and get this already -- then I don't see how the language above is accounting for that.

"The new provisions were made after a number of bishops asked for guidance as to how the faithful could perform the works required for receiving a plenary indulgence given the ongoing pandemic and restrictions in many parts of the world limiting the number of people who can gather in one place, Cardinal Mauro Piacenza, head of the Apostolic Penitentiary, told Vatican News Oct. 23."

As far as I know - the virus in the pandemic does not stop people from reading their Bibles at home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’ve heard and read all sorts of things about purgatory. I remember (I think it was Fr. Groshel) saying we’d be happier there than our happiest day on earth. I remember saying in confession that I had a fear of purgatory and the priest did not seem to think it was a place of torment except our longing for God. There are all sorts of thoughts on purgatory and I’m told it is not the same for everyone.
You apparently get to know that you are only a temporary resident there. So you would have the peace of knowing you spend eternity with God.

It has been described as the purifying flame of God's love. So it might not be pleasant, but like sitting in the dentist's chair the discomfort leads to something better.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,235,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sounds like that plenary indulgence is available all day long 365 days a year. Nothing particular to November in the one you are describing.
Different indulgences for different occasions, or some available any time. Right.

If we made it simple then anybody could understand it. And we can't have that.

• Haha
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I’ve heard and read all sorts of things about purgatory. I remember (I think it was Fr. Groshel) saying we’d be happier there than our happiest day on earth.

In that view of it - I would not be too anxious to try and get someone out of there any time before they are scheduled to get out anyway.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In that view of it - I would not be too anxious to try and get someone out of there any time before they are scheduled to get out anyway.
What about their longing to be in the presence of God? That would be the ultimate happiness.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While we are on the subject, I remember learning that those that die for the faith automatically go to heaven.

My mind is all over the place but I think about the believing thief on the cross where Jesus told him that he would be in paradise with Him that day. Which makes me wonder.

What is this place called Paradise? Just another word for Heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0