Is Getting a Vasectomy a Sin? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
AngelusSax said:
No, you didn't say it would be trying, as I just proved. You said it would ensure, not just that it would try to ensure. There's a difference, and in reality, I only put words in your mouth that came out to begin with.

I'm not sure what your problem is. It's easy to make a mistake when typing or even talking for that matter, and I was correcting myself, telling you what I meant to say.

AngelusSax said:
I'm not trying to do anything. Hey, tell you what... you point to me where it says "and thou shalt not have a vasectomy" (or some long-winded way of describing a vasectomy), and maybe I'll believe they're sinful... and then I'll believe that the free gift of Grace won't damn vasectomied-people into hell anyway.

I'm sorry... did you start this thread? No. Everything I said was for the benefit of the person who asked my(our) opinion(s). And frankly I don't care what you believe. In stating my opinion (which the thread starter asked for) I was not asking for, nor was I inviting a debate. If you wish to continue this however, feel free to PM me.
Sean C.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Peter said:
Interesting. Would you please respond in kind with a scriptural basis for having a vasectomy?

There isn't a scriptural basis for a lot of things. I am not claiming there is a scriptural basis for vasectomies, but other people who don't like them (catholic church) try to use scripture when it's fairly obvious there are none against birth control.

There doesn't need to be a scriptural basis for getting a vasectomy; it's called using our God-given brain's logic and reason capabilities to make responsible decisions.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
invisible trousers said:
There isn't a scriptural basis for a lot of things. I am not claiming there is a scriptural basis for vasectomies, but other people who don't like them (catholic church) try to use scripture when it's fairly obvious there are none against birth control.

The CCC doesn't attempt to directly back up the position against birth control with scripture. We are against the idea of Sola Scriptura which by itself isn't even biblical.

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
New_Found_Faith said:
The CCC doesn't attempt to directly back up the position against birth control with scripture. We are against the idea of Sola Scriptura which by itself isn't even biblical.

To which I might refer ALL to Jaroslav Pelikan's book, "Whose Bible Is It?" A very good read if you are Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant or Jewish.

Before this breaks down into a mud slinging thread over the validity of sola scriptura, I think everyone who posts here should read this book. History is messy, and all of us show our ignorance on such matters as the one mentioned here.

If one is RC, then they should consult RC teaching on the subject. If one is Protestant, what ever denomination, they should consult those teachings, etc.

True scholars, such as Pelikan, help put issues such as this into perspective.

Peace.

Rdr. Peter

Upvote 0

msaenz

May 1, 2005
South Florida
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Peter said:
Interesting. Would you please respond in kind with a scriptural basis for having a vasectomy.

BTW, had mine already. Sex not the same. I didn't say worse, just not the same. My experience.

Peace.

Rdr. Peter

I would definitely say that it is a sin. I am not surprised that after having the vasectomy sex isn't the same...you have removed a major component from "the marital act". One purpose for unifying the spouses and the other for procreation.

Birth Control and sterilization is a sin because it blocks the Love of God to fully enter in our families. As Christians we try to give God our lives, our marriage and our families....why not give Him our fertility?

Another thing, we as Christians are all HORRIFIED by abortion-the murder of innocent and helpless children. Yet closely tied to this rejection of children is the rejection of children through birth control. As a society we have all contributed to this "abortion mentality" because even as Christians we are not truly OPEN TO LIFE because we limit the number of children through BIRTH CONTROL AND STERILIZATION.

It's not an easy thing to accept but following Christ isn't an easy road either as he says:

Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many. How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.
(Matthew 7:13-14)

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How many times do we have to go over this? The catholic church promotes their ideal version of birth control, natural family planning. All birth control methods are used with the same intention and produce the same results. There is no moral distinction between any methods of birth control. Using a condom is as moral as natural family planning. Just because the church says so doesn't make it true. There is no scriptural basis for the belief, but it comes through questionable logic and twisting verses out of context to conform them to a specific idea.

Upvote 0

msaenz

May 1, 2005
South Florida
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
invisible trousers said:
. There is no moral distinction between any methods of birth control. Using a condom is as moral as natural family planning. QUOTE]

This is the moral distinction:

The use of Birth Control removes the procreative aspect of the marital act. The procreative aspect allows for the possibility of conception to take place. Hence, the pill, the condom or the IUD (especially a vasectomy) removes that possibility.

A couple that uses Natural family planning is having NATURAL CONDOM-FREE, PILL- FREE, PATCH-FREE, SHOT-FREE SEX that is ALWAYS OPEN TO LIFE. For those who are not familiar with NFP it is the means through which a couple (not just the woman) observes the wife’s fertility cycle and through PRAYER determines when to have children. PRAYER is the key!!! If there is a serious reason for not having a child, then the couple should abstain during the fertile times.

Again, when the marital act is performed it is barrier free…just two people united in marriage giving of themselves completely….not holding anything back…not even their fertility…it’s the way God intended…

“ That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body” (Genesis 2 :24)

God said to Adam and Even “be fertile and multiply” (Gen 1:28) and later he tells Noah “be fertile and multiply” (Gen 9:1 AND Gen 9:7) and he tells us today the same. His Word remains the same yesterday, today and forever! Praise be to God!

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
:sigh:
msaenz said:
his is the moral distinction:
The use of Birth Control removes the procreative aspect of the marital act. The procreative aspect allows for the possibility of conception to take place. Hence, the pill, the condom or the IUD (especially a vasectomy) removes that possibility.

Which is precisely what natural family planning does. Natural family planning is a form of birth control.

A couple that uses Natural family planning is having NATURAL CONDOM-FREE, PILL- FREE, PATCH-FREE, SHOT-FREE SEX that is ALWAYS OPEN TO LIFE.
Using any type of birth control means you are not open to life. This includes natural family planning.

For those who are not familiar with NFP it is the means through which a couple (not just the woman) observes the wife’s fertility cycle and through PRAYER determines when to have children. PRAYER is the key!!!
Ok.

Newlywed christian couple A decides they do not wish to have children. Both the husband and wife pray and determine that using a contraceptive would be in their best interest. The couple uses contraception, has sex, and the wife doesn't become pregnant.

Newlywed christian couple B decides they do not wish to have children. Both the husband and wife pray and determine that using a contraceptive would be in their best interest. The couple uses contraception, has sex, and the wife doesn't become pregnant.

What's the difference? Well, nothing. Couple A decided to use natural family planning, while couple B decided the husband should wear a condom. How can you make a moral distinction? There is none.

If there is a serious reason for not having a child, then the couple should abstain during the fertile times.

Which is a type of contraceptive, like a condom or birth control pills.

Again, when the marital act is performed it is barrier free…just two people united in marriage giving of themselves completely….not holding anything back…not even their fertility…
"Barrier free" is a worthless term. Whenever a couple is using a form of contraceptives, whether it be condoms, natural family planning, birth control, or whatever, they are holding back their fertility.

it’s the way God intended…
You have no scriptural justification for this.

“ That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body” (Genesis 2 :24)

God said to Adam and Even “be fertile and multiply” (Gen 1:28) and later he tells Noah “be fertile and multiply” (Gen 9:1 AND Gen 9:7) and he tells us today the same. His Word remains the same yesterday, today and forever! Praise be to God!

Do you remember what I wrote about taking verses out of context and twisting their meaning to support a certain belief?

You're making a stellar example with those verses.

Upvote 0

msaenz

May 1, 2005
South Florida
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
invisible trousers said:
Newlywed christian couple A decides they do not wish to have children. Both the husband and wife pray and determine that using a contraceptive would be in their best interest. The couple uses contraception, has sex, and the wife doesn't become pregnant.

Newlywed christian couple B decides they do not wish to have children. Both the husband and wife pray and determine that using a contraceptive would be in their best interest. The couple uses contraception, has sex, and the wife doesn't become pregnant.

What's the difference?
QUOTE]

This is a great example to make the moral distinction between birth control and Natural Family Planning:

Couple A doesn't become pregnant and CANNOT become pregnant because they use birth control.

Couple B doesn't become pregnany but MAY become pregnant because they use NFP not birth control.

Couple A has sex and they remove the possibility of conception.

Couple B has sex and the possibility for conception exists.

There is a HUGE moral distinction.

Interesting point: Most couples who practice NFP have large families. (I only have 3 so far). Today's society wants us to believe that there are "serious reasons" for delaying a pregnancy. But as we see in the old Testament Children are a blessing (Psalm 127:3) ...why deny ourselves of such a gift? And if a "serious reason" for delaying a pregnancy exists, why not use NFP and give God a chance to bless the family with child if He chooses?

We don't always know what's in our best interest as can be see in Isaiah 55:8-9:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thougths above your thoughts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
Maccie said:
Can't imagine any of the Bible writers knew about vasectomy. Castration, yes - for their enemies!

Seriously though, why should it be a sin?? Are you only going to make love with your wife when you want a child?? Are you going to condemn her to pregnancy after pregnancy after pregnancy because sexual intercourse is only for procreation?

Planning children, and spacing them properly is loving responsibility to your family. I can see that some think that contraception that prevents a fertilised ovum from embedding is wrong, although I don't agree with them, but physical separation of sperm and ova to avoid pregnancy is surely not a sin? And vasectomy comes under that heading, IMHO.

And any sort of sterilization, whether by the man or the woman, makes life a great deal easier!!! :)

Go for it! And good luck with the twins. Anyone offers you help, you take it!!!
Man.
I have a dear friend who doesnt believe in birth control.
Hes mid 40s and his wife late 30s.
She has 6 kids, the oldest is 14 or so, the youngest about 2 1/2.

Its just a matter of time before she has another one if he doesnt stop seeing things the way he does.

you can look at this sweet woman and just tell her body is giving out, I mean, she just doesnt look healthy when Ive seen her the last year or so.

I love them both, but honestly, if he loses her at some point here I fear he'll only have himself and his irresponsibility to blame.

We're not animals who breed at random to keep the species alive.
We're human beings with the intellects God gave us and we should take into account a persons health and whether or not we can actually afford to feed and cloth 6 kids.

Upvote 0

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
No matter how you slice it, birth CONTROL is CONTROL.

It doesnt matter how you attempt it, if it is sin, then SIN it is.

msaenz said:
This is a great example to make the moral distinction between birth control and Natural Family Planning:

Couple A doesn't become pregnant and CANNOT become pregnant because they use birth control.

Couple B doesn't become pregnany but MAY become pregnant because they use NFP not birth control.

Couple A has sex and they remove the possibility of conception.

Couple B has sex and the possibility for conception exists.

There is a HUGE moral distinction.

Interesting point: Most couples who practice NFP have large families. (I only have 3 so far). Today's society wants us to believe that there are "serious reasons" for delaying a pregnancy. But as we see in the old Testament Children are a blessing (Psalm 127:3) ...why deny ourselves of such a gift? And if a "serious reason" for delaying a pregnancy exists, why not use NFP and give God a chance to bless the family with child if He chooses?

We don't always know what's in our best interest as can be see in Isaiah 55:8-9:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thougths above your thoughts.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
HelpyHelperton said:
Man.
I have a dear friend who doesnt believe in birth control.
Hes mid 40s and his wife late 30s.
She has 6 kids, the oldest is 14 or so, the youngest about 2 1/2.

Its just a matter of time before she has another one if he doesnt stop seeing things the way he does.

you can look at this sweet woman and just tell her body is giving out, I mean, she just doesnt look healthy when Ive seen her the last year or so.

I love them both, but honestly, if he loses her at some point here I fear he'll only have himself and his irresponsibility to blame.

We're not animals who breed at random to keep the species alive.
We're human beings with the intellects God gave us and we should take into account a persons health and whether or not we can actually afford to feed and cloth 6 kids.

You are certainly being judgmental. Isn't it their choice? Aren't you intruding into an area of their private decisions?

My bride and I I raised six children, too. Neither of us believed in b/c. God knows better than we do what our future holds, how much we can handle physically and financially, and how critical His own kids (like you) will be of those of us who choose to let God make these decisions. "Having a brain" would indicate being smart enought to know that only God really knows the future or what you can handle.

Upvote 0

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
porcupine said:
You are certainly being judgmental. Isn't it their choice? Aren't you intruding into an area of their private decisions?
arent you being judgemental since you dont know waht youre talking about?

The wife on a few occasions has voiced suicidal thoughts that she frequently gets.
Adding the stress of 2 more kids just doesnt seem like something that is going to help, does it.

My bride and I I raised six children, too. Neither of us believed in b/c. God knows better than we do what our future holds, how much we can handle physically and financially, and how critical His own kids (like you) will be of those of us who choose to let God make these decisions. "Having a brain" would indicate being smart enought to know that only God really knows the future or what you can handle.
Is God required to save me if I refuse to wear a seat belt?

Your logic is flawed.
WE are responsible if we dont use the minds God gave us.

And thats great it worked for you.
Were you having suicidal thoughts as well?

Reactions: AngelusSax
Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
HelpyHelperton said:

The wife on a few occasions has voiced suicidal thoughts that she frequently gets.
Adding the stress of 2 more kids just doesnt seem like something that is going to help, does it.

You are still being judgmental of their choices -- and you are judgeing me for judging. Is that all you have time to do? Judge others? (Noting your name: Is this how you "help"? By questioning other people's personal decisions?)

Your logic is flawed.

God doesn't promise to keep you safe during an auto accident, but He DOES promise to BLESS with children. He says children are an unqualified blessing. How much brain power does it take to know that he knows best.

It has 'worked" for every person of faith in God I have ever met. God gave them PRECISELY the number of children He wanted to (0 - 15 in my experience) and they did JUST FINE without your criticism.

I never had suicidal thought because of the number of children we had -- nor did my wife. I do have suicidal thoughts -- more like perplexed thoughts -- when I meet people claiming to trust God who cannot believe Him when He says something is a blessing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
I

I'ddie4him

HelpyHelperton said:

Your logic is flawed.

So, How is her mental health your concern ?? That is between her and her husband. Not you and her. How is your being rude accomplishing anything ?? God told us to go forth and multiply did he not ?? Some folks just choose to do so more than others. That is not our concern nor is our business to be judgemental about how many kids somone has. After all, We don't have to pay for their food and such, So, Mind your own business.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
HelpyHelperton said:

You have no scriptural justfication for that statement.

porcupine said:
Neither of us believed in b/c. God knows better than we do what our future holds, how much we can handle physically and financially, and how critical His own kids (like you) will be of those of us who choose to let God make these decisions. "Having a brain" would indicate being smart enought to know that only God really knows the future or what you can handle.

Since God knows better than we do about our future, then He's gonna cause the wife to be pregnant no matter what type of birth control is used. It's absolutely silly to somehow think that humans are able to undermine God's plans.

Upvote 0
I

I'ddie4him

HelpyHelperton said:
No matter how you slice it, birth CONTROL is CONTROL.

What a truly insightful statement this is, NOT.
BC is not a sin. Is it mentioned in the Bible ?? Is is addressed by Christ or the discipes ??
NO, Therefore it is not a sin. Back it up with scripture and have a reasonable reply for me the next time. Thank you.

Upvote 0

porcupine

Dec 5, 2003
✟1,363.00
Faith
Christian
Since God knows better than we do about our future, then He's gonna cause the wife to be pregnant no matter what type of birth control is used. It's absolutely silly to somehow think that humans are able to undermine God's plans.

There are many instances in the Bible where people missed out on blessings because of their own lack of faith and unwillingness to follow God. One that immediately springs to mind is the 40 EXTRA years Israel spent meandering around in the desert because they would not enter the promised land when God told them to -- even after all the miracles. So your premise is wrong.

However, assuming your premise were correct, is it right to put obstacles in the way of God when He is trying to bless you? Do you deliberately take low paying jobs because you know God can bless your finances in spite of that choice?

Upvote 0

HelpyHelperton

May 16, 2005
✟504.00
Faith
Christian
I'ddie4him said:
So, How is her mental health your concern ?? That is between her and her husband. Not you and her.
Uh, anytime a fellow christian speaks to me in private about something like this, I tend to take it seriously.
Id have spoken to her husband about it, but Im sure he already knows.

So you think its ok for a man to insist his wife keep pushing out kids to the point of a mental breakdown or suicide, is that correct?

How is your being rude accomplishing anything ?? God told us to go forth and multiply did he not ??
Have all the kids you want.
Just dont give me some bogus tripe line that God commanded all people to keep pushing out kids till their 90.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.