Is Getting a Vasectomy a Sin? What Does the Bible Say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitties

May 20, 2005
✟130.00
Faith
Christian
My wife and I have 2 girls, and we have twins on the way. I thank God for them. We have decided that these two babies will be our last and my wife brought up vasectomy as an option.

The only thing holding me back is if this is a sin.

Does anyone know of any scripture or anything saying that this is/is not sin?

Or could i just get some peoples ideas and thoughts on it.

Thank you.

Reactions: McDLT

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi fitties,

I had a vasectomy after my forth son. I have never thought of it as a sin nor do I see birth control as a sin. I do not see any scripture in the Bible supporting the idea that it is a sin even though I know there are others who disagree.

Upvote 0

Maccie

Jul 3, 2004
NW England, UK
✟1,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can't imagine any of the Bible writers knew about vasectomy. Castration, yes - for their enemies!

Seriously though, why should it be a sin?? Are you only going to make love with your wife when you want a child?? Are you going to condemn her to pregnancy after pregnancy after pregnancy because sexual intercourse is only for procreation?

Planning children, and spacing them properly is loving responsibility to your family. I can see that some think that contraception that prevents a fertilised ovum from embedding is wrong, although I don't agree with them, but physical separation of sperm and ova to avoid pregnancy is surely not a sin? And vasectomy comes under that heading, IMHO.

And any sort of sterilization, whether by the man or the woman, makes life a great deal easier!!! :)

Go for it! And good luck with the twins. Anyone offers you help, you take it!!!

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
My boyfriends little brother was concieved a few weeks after his dad has a vasectomy. If God really wants you to have another kid he's not going to let that stand in his way. In no way can I see that as being a sin and I applaud any man who's willing to have the procedure done (it puts alot less pressure on the woman as far as BX is concerned and is much simpler than a woman getting her tubes tied). Good luck.

Upvote 0

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
IMO It would most definately be a sin to get a vasectomy as a form of birth control. God created sex for us for the primary reason that we may reproduce, and the pleasures of sex are secondary to this reason. To use birth control would be to use his gift out of purpose, and would be ensuring that God's will is not accomplished. One might argue that birth control or not God's will will be done anyway, but with this logic you might as well not get the operation. If God doesn't want you to have any more kids, then you wont have any more.
Sean C.

Upvote 0

invisible trousers

~*this post promotes non-nicene christianity*~
Apr 22, 2005
✟13,218.00
Faith
Non-Denom
New_Found_Faith said:
IMO It would most definately be a sin to get a vasectomy as a form of birth control. God created sex for us for the primary reason that we may reproduce, and the pleasures of sex are secondary to this reason. To use birth control would be to use his gift out of purpose, and would be ensuring that God's will is not accomplished.

There is not any scriptural basis to this teaching, but instead a whole bunch of stretching and questionable logic done by the catholic church.

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To use birth control would be to use his gift out of purpose, and would be ensuring that God's will is not accomplished.

To say this is to say that humans are more powerful than God, and can ultimately stop His Will from happening. I do not serve a God so weak that He can't overcome anything we may or may not do and still have His Will done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
AngelusSax said:
To say this is to say that humans are more powerful than God, and can ultimately stop His Will from happening. I do not serve a God so weak that He can't overcome anything we may or may not do and still have His Will done.

If you'd like to put words in my mouth. I said that the act of doing so would be trying to ensure that something God wills will not occur. With this logic you might as well not have the operation, because if God wills you to have no more kids, then you will have no more. Why try to treverse what god has given you?

Upvote 0

Grishnak

Mar 21, 2005
✟904.00
Faith
Christian
New_Found_Faith said:
IMO It would most definately be a sin to get a vasectomy as a form of birth control. God created sex for us for the primary reason that we may reproduce, and the pleasures of sex are secondary to this reason.
God said it is not good for man to be alone... not ''it is not good for man to have a mate to procreate"

I think you have those two in reverse.
Eve was created as Adams HELPmeet, not his baby maker.
procreation is secondary in the marital/sexual union.

Upvote 0

Grishnak

Mar 21, 2005
✟904.00
Faith
Christian
invisible trousers said:
There is not any scriptural basis to this teaching, but instead a whole bunch of stretching and questionable logic done by the catholic church.
Whats odd about the doctrinal stance that says birth control is a sin is that what if a man and wife can ''afford'' 3 children and no more?

Are they supposed to stop having sex after 3 ?
and isnt that still birth ''control" ?

Are they supposed to have babies they cant feed, house and clothe ?

My cousin has had two children with cystic fibrosis.
It appears they seem to be at great risk for it.
Is he supposed to callously and intentionally bring another human being into the world with this disease?

And my hereditary genetic disorder nearly killed me.

I was quadreplegic for about 8 months and nearly died of respiratory failure.
Every child I produce has a 50/50 chance of inheriting it.

Should I just keep popping kids out not caring in the least if one happens to be a girl and her very hormones are a trigger for severe attacks that could threaten her life each and every month she is alive starting at puberty....only to get worse once she hits menopause and starts taking estrogen.

God said ''be fruitful and multiply''
He didnt say ''be naive and uncaring and totally irresponsible''

Upvote 0

Grishnak

Mar 21, 2005
✟904.00
Faith
Christian
New_Found_Faith said:
If you'd like to put words in my mouth. I said that the act of doing so would be trying to ensure that something God wills will not occur. With this logic you might as well not have the operation, because if God wills you to have no more kids, then you will have no more. Why try to treverse what god has given you?
hmm

I dont have to worry about getting an operation for cancer? God will save me ?

There is a thing called responsibility.
Dont expect God to come save you if youre not at least trying to do your part.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Various churches and Christian writers express differing opinions on contraception or birth control, most of which do not fully express the biblical view. The Bible does not mention birth control as such.

We are to speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent. Birth control of any kind is one of those gray areas where the Bible is silent on the exact situation. Some people say that the prevention of pregnancy is wrong, but isn't that the goal with any birth control method, including natural family planning? In my opinion, there are times when a couple must consider that, for medical reasons or any other reasons, it would be better for the woman not to become pregnant. In fact, it would be unmerciful. Yes, we are to be fruitful and multiply, but we are also to be merciful. Those who make sweeping statements that Christians must never use contraception fall into the same ditch as the Pharisees, at least on this subject. I truly believe the decision of when to use birth control in obedience to the law of mercy is the couple's.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New_Found_Faith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2004
✟30,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Grishnak said:
hmm

I dont have to worry about getting an operation for cancer? God will save me ?

There is a thing called responsibility.
Dont expect God to come save you if youre not at least trying to do your part.

Poor example. That wasn't what I was insinuating. Either way, I'm not trying to start a debate, simply adding my opinion. That was what he asked for in the first place.

Upvote 0

constance

The littlest billy goat gruff
Apr 3, 2005
Indiana
✟29,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
New_Found_Faith, in all due respect, although you are welcome to your opinion, you may be lacking some of the life experience necessary to give advice on this subject.

One more child could kill me.

I prayed for a long time about it - I don't think God wants me to die or tell my husband he has to sleep on the couch for the rest of his life. So I had a tubal ligation, but I told God if He wanted to give us another child that we would gladly receive him or her.

Constance

Upvote 0

Miss_Music

Senior Veteran
Mar 31, 2005
✟2,390.00
Faith
Baptist
this subject always reminds me of this joke:

a man was caught on top of his car in a flash flood. he cried out to God to save him, beging God for his very life. a man in a little tinny(boat) came up to the car and offered to save the man but he refused to get in the boat saying "I don't need your help, God will save me!"
five minutes later a larger boat came along, threw out a life ring and told the man to grab on. again he replied, "I don't need your help! God will save me!"
a short while later a helicopter flew overhead and dropped a harness down for the man to get into. once again the man cried out, "i don't need your help! My God will surely save me!"
eventually the man was swept away and drowned. when he got to heaven he asked God, "i called out to you for help, why did you not save me?" God replied, "i sent two boats and a helicopter, what else did you expect me to do?!?"^_^

(sorry if this offends, i am in no way trying to limit what God can do. please take this as what it is - A JOKE!)

i don't know if this makes sense to anyone else. but to me it kinda equates to asking God, "why did you keep giving us kids?" i'm sure His answer will be, "because you kept having unprotected sex!"

yes, God has a hand in everything that we do but are we forgetting about free will? our physical actions have consequences, whether they are God ordained or not.

i don't feel in any way that geting a vasectomy or using any other form of contraception is a sin (as long as it is pre-fertilization... but that's a whole other can of worms!).

i think that it is a responsible and wise man who can recognise that he cannot care for any more kids and so takes measures to prevent a child to be brought into an environment where it will not receive everything it needs in ample amounts. like someone said, if God really wants you to have another child then your vasectomy won't stop Him anyway!:D

good luck with the twins!

Upvote 0

AngelusSax

Believe
Apr 16, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟15,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and would be ensuring that God's will is not accomplished.

I said that the act of doing so would be trying to ensure that something God wills will not occur.

No, you didn't say it would be trying, as I just proved. You said it would ensure, not just that it would try to ensure. There's a difference, and in reality, I only put words in your mouth that came out to begin with.

With this logic you might as well not have the operation, because if God wills you to have no more kids, then you will have no more. Why try to treverse what god has given you?

I'm not trying to do anything. Hey, tell you what... you point to me where it says "and thou shalt not have a vasectomy" (or some long-winded way of describing a vasectomy), and maybe I'll believe they're sinful... and then I'll believe that the free gift of Grace won't damn vasectomied-people into hell anyway.

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
invisible trousers said:

Interesting. Would you please respond in kind with a scriptural basis for having a vasectomy.

BTW, had mine already. Sex not the same. I didn't say worse, just not the same. My experience.

Peace.

Rdr. Peter

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.