Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know, possibly millions of people vape and I only see seven reported cases (some with preexisting health problems), so is it really a national epidemic? We need more time. I certainly don't want to be one of those who later finds out that it causes some sort of health risk after using it for twenty years.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There's some oddities in this whole vaping thing...

I have some theories, but unfortunately nothing concrete.

Vaping has been popular for the better part of a decade now and has helped a lot of people kick the habit. The issues of this mysterious lung disease have just showed up recently, and in several of the cases, have been with people who just recently started vaping.

Here's something we do know:
Most vaping deaths linked to THC devices, but experts still looking for root cause
"This outbreak does not appear to be associated with traditional legally-sold e-cigarettes, but with illicit and sometimes counterfeit THC vaping cartridges," said Dr. Michael Siegel, a professor at Boston University School of Public Health.

The majority of the issues are surrounding people using THC vaping devices and products, for which there's a huge black market as due to federal prohibition, thus there's still a lack of regulation and quality testing on the products.

Also, with regards to regulations, I find it odd that they're talking about vaping bans, when traditional cigs are still killing half million people per year.

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Vaping cannabis products has a long history of causing lung problems. The waxes and heavy oils can contribute to lipid pneumonia. But people that engage in this kind of drug abuse rarely have health as a priority anyways.

The only things I would be really concerned about vaping is the folks that are inhaling large quantities of vapor fluid, especially vegetable glycerin. Alot of these devices are far away from the original e-cigarettes made in China years ago that only involved a small quantity of fluid.

Also, some flavors, such as diacetyl and other butter flavorings, should never be vaped, as they have a problem track record of destroying lungs.

Upvote 0

Jacksonville

Sep 24, 2019
Irvington
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found a video on YouTube that explains the dangers of e-cigarettes with some great tips.

Click on that link above and once you land on the page, click where it says

“I am not a robot”. And then you will be redirected to the YouTube video that shows the dangers of e-cigarettes..

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Also, with regards to regulations, I find it odd that they're talking about vaping bans, when traditional cigs are still killing half million people per year.

Yeah, you and me both.
I just came across this thread today by doing a search for "vaping" because I was thinking of starting a thread on the subject. I see it make national news each time a person dies of vaping. We're up to 7 now, aren't we? And now they're talking about bans. Sure, 7 people dead is tragic, but how many have died of regular cigarettes, and why isn't each smoking related death making the news? Here's what the CDC says, and the numbers are staggering:

Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death.
  • Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 7 million deaths per year.2 If the pattern of smoking all over the globe doesn’t change, more than 8 million people a year will die from diseases related to tobacco use by 2030.
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day.
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.
  • If smoking continues at the current rate among U.S. youth, 5.6 million of today’s Americans younger than 18 years of age are expected to die prematurely from a smoking-related illness. This represents about one in every 13 Americans aged 17 years or younger who are alive today.
Fast Facts

And there you have it! Around the world, a million times more people die each year from smoking that have died in total from vaping.
It would seem that our news media doesn't have their priorities straight about this.

For the record, I have never smoked or vaped. However, I am perplexed at the news coverage on this subject and sort of brings to question what the real motivation for wanting to ban certain items and not others is.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think any young people have died from vaping regular e-cigs. They all seem to be due to vaping THC.

A few reports of people dying in Europe under mysterious circumstances while vaping have appeared, but they all had pre-existing lung diseases, so it would be hard to say exactly how vaping contributed to it. All the fluids in the most commonly marketted e-cig juices are non-toxic.

Upvote 0