✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wow

I am definitely not very loving. But I want to be.

Well, most of us don't have a line of "hungry people and orphans" readily identifiable that we can go down the line and tend to each of them. Don't get me wrong, we are probably surrounded by people in need, but often we don't see and can't know what those needs are.

It IS possible to seek people out. There may be a "homeless camp" area nearby and it may be possible to take them a bunch of food. It may be possible to volunteer to cheer up sick children in a hospital, or visit elderly people in a nursing home and just bring them cards or flowers and sit and listen to them, hold their hand.

But failing these, what we CAN all easily do is keep our eyes open. If someone is struggling a bit with their bags, offer to carry. Open the door and let others go through first. Be especially aware of elderly people who may need help reaching something. If someone looks sad, offer them a compassionate smile. If a mother is struggling with an upset infant, offer her some words of encouragement instead of the dark looks she may get from many at having their peace disturbed. And so on.

If for some reason these are a problem, there are surely other things you can do. Even praying for others is an act of love. Some people pray often and with real care for many others.

Just put other's needs before yourself, as often as you can, in whatever ways you can, and then try to do it more. Ask God to give you love for others. Your words and deeds should come out of a desire for their good, and concern for them. If you have trouble with that, I'd talk to a pastor who might be able to give you more concrete steps. (It might be a good idea to find one who is actively engaged in helping others themselves.)

I just hope my post didn't make it seem impossible for you. In a sense it can be easy, in that even small acts of kindness can demonstrate love for others. But on the other hand, if we think to ourselves, "I'm such a loving person!" that would probably show a great and dangerous spiritual pride. So I'm trying to communicate as clearly as possible without causing a misunderstanding. Which can be difficult with only words on a screen.

Peace to you.

Upvote 0