• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Vaccinate?

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am just looking for some basic information. My sister is a huge anti-vaccine person and I am afraid to ask her for information because of how passionate about it she is. But I dont really understand all the information I am hearing from different sources, so could anyone explain to me the different arguments without getting into it too much?

I keep hearing about this measles outbreak, but I dont understand how that could be caused by unvaccinated children, because wouldnt that mean only children who are unvaccinated would be getting it? That is the whole purpose of a vaccine, is it not? The vaccinated children should not be catching it. So is there something wrong with the vaccines? Or they not working properly?

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am just looking for some basic information. My sister is a huge anti-vaccine person and I am afraid to ask her for information because of how passionate about it she is. But I dont really understand all the information I am hearing from different sources, so could anyone explain to me the different arguments without getting into it too much?

I keep hearing about this measles outbreak, but I dont understand how that could be caused by unvaccinated children, because wouldnt that mean only children who are unvaccinated would be getting it? That is the whole purpose of a vaccine, is it not? The vaccinated children should not be catching it. So is there something wrong with the vaccines? Or they not working properly?
Yes, only the unvaccinated children will catch the disease. Those who have been vaccinated against it will not.

AHS says all confirmed cases of measles are in unimmunized people - Lethbridge | Globalnews.ca

People who do not vaccinate their children are risking the health and wellbeing of their own children and the children of others. All of my children were vaccinated and I had no doubts whatsoever about having them vaccinated.

Upvote 0

Briseis

Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2006
✟10,555.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, I dont understand. If only unvaccinated children have been getting measles, shouldnt that be obvious to the parents what is causing it? Why is it still an issue? My sister even said that ppl dont want to hang out with her kids because they are unvaccinated and they are afraid to catch something, but she wants to stay strong and stand up for her beliefs. But what are her beliefs? I dont understand why ppl make this choice. I should just ask her, but I am really afraid she will get upset with me if I disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So, I dont understand. If only unvaccinated children have been getting measles, shouldnt that be obvious to the parents what is causing it? Why is it still an issue? My sister even said that ppl dont want to hang out with her kids because they are unvaccinated and they are afraid to catch something, but she wants to stay strong and stand up for her beliefs. But what are her beliefs? I dont understand why ppl make this choice. I should just ask her, but I am really afraid she will get upset with me if I disagree.

Some people have strange beliefs. Some people believe that God will protect their kids. Some people believe that vaccines are dangerous. Some people think that God is opposed to vaccines. There is nothing biblical about not taking steps to protect your kids and the kids of other people.

Of course other parents keep their kids away! There isn't much that would make me keep my kids from befriending others, other than a dangerous home situation i.e. drugs or violence, but if the friends were unvaccinated, I would consider that to be dangerous and I would ask my kids to find 'safer' friends.

I'm sorry but you would have to ask your sister for her views because I can only guess. You don't have to agree or disagree, you can just stay 'on the fence' and nod politely at whatever she tells you.

Upvote 0

Dusky Mouse

Cats Are In Charge ~ Accept It!
Sep 25, 2013
Adelaide S.Australia
✟2,598.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

The measles vaccine can't be given to children under 3 years of age, if I remember that correctly.

The problem of outbreaks stems from people who are opposed to vaccinations and their child(ren) get the virus, if they do, and that child then interacts with other children who are either not vaccinated or are too young to be, and the spread compounds itself.

Measles can kill a child.

In short, vaccinations save lives. A parent can't be forced to vaccinate their child. However, their infected child can infect other children who have not yet been vaccinated.
Forbes 8/24 Measles Outbreak Traces To Vaccine-Refusing Megachurch

"Those sickened by measles include nine children and six adults, ranging in age from 4 months old to 44 years old. At least 12 of those infected were not fully immunized against measles, Roy says. The other patients lack documents to show whether they were vaccinated."

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is my belief that many illnesses are being manufactured in a laboratory and unleashed on us so Big Pharma can make its $280 Billion a year, in addition to dumbing us down with the mercury laced injections that affect our neurological system and eventually give us alzheimers, so we keep electing Democrats and Republicans into office. Okay, I admit to making the last one up, but it's likely. :)

I'm sort of split on vaccinations for my kids, so I resolved to allowing their childhood vaccinations (with prayer each time). However, I will not allow them to get flu shots, because for one, I know they're not effective, and two, 5,000- 10,000 I.U.'s of VitD per day is way better. So is avoiding dairy, taking iodine and applying peroxide in their ears when they start to feel unwell.

My 11 year old hasn't gotten sick in 3 years, and my 6 year old briefly got sick for the first time in at least 2 years. Even the doctors don't know exactly what's in the vaccines, unless they were in the lab putting the ingredients together themselves.

If you don't trust politicians, then why would you trust drug companies that donate millions to political campaigns who employ "Igor" to make these formulas in a dungeon.... Or, electronic voting machines for that matter? I'm off-topic here, but I think you get the point.

You can find tons of literature on the dangers of vaccines at naturalnews.com.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
And how much of that anti-vaccination literature is the result of years of medical research, and scientific study? Oh wait, I forget, doctors are a part of this huge conspiracy to make billions from patients so they won't speak up. LOL.

Seriously. You only have to look at real, historical facts to discover that huge swathes of the population were killed off by infectious diseases long, long before "big pharma" was invented. That is, unless "big pharma" generated the Black Death in the 1300s?

Measles, chickenpox, smallpox, polio ... all eradicated by vaccines in the first world long before "big pharma."

Pediatricians are not involved in the creation of vaccines, but an informed pediatrician can tell you exactly what is in a vaccination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm mixed on vaccinations. If I had kids then I would be forced to give them some vaccinations by law. But as for the ones I wasn't forced to give them, I wouldn't. BUT... I actually probably would because kids are still growing and the last thing they need is health problems because I didn't vaccinate them.

Me personally, I don't get vaccinations aside from Tetanus. I skip the Flu one and have yet to get the flu (except the one time I did get the shot and got the flu lol). I did have others shots like Hep A and B...etc for going overseas. When I become a bit older like in my 50s I'll probably get the shots because at that point my body will be weaker.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,620.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Keep in mind that vaccinations trigger the immune system which consists of the brain, liver, and kidney.

That's how vaccines imprint signatures of diseases into our immune system so our immune system would be able to effectively deal with future infections of the same diseases.

Sounds great right? But problems??

Over stimulation of the immune system can also damage any of the organs concerned with the immune system. The most important organ being the brain.

And not everyone responds similarly to vaccines! Vaccines will over stimulate the immune system of some individuals, causing permanent damage to the liver or kidneys or the brain!

Sadly, I found out the truth myself in my niece. Great kid, but very soon after her vaccination, developed psychological problems. :(

And I've also read similar problems of brain damage caused by vaccines, not only in infants, but also in adults.

Maybe, just maybe.... It's safe to take vaccines shots one at a time but not multiples shots in the same session, it might overstimulate the immune system. I've also read stories of adults getting brain damaged with just one shot!

Maybe some of you never had any first-hand accounts with vaccines causing permanent damage, I did. So now I think it's a gamble when you vaccinate your kids or yourself... Everything could go fine but there's also a chance it could go wrong.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I assume that you are talking about that headcase, Michele Bachmann and her assertion that HPV vaccine causes mental retardation. <eye roll>

There is no scientific evidence that vaccines cause psychological problems. Psychological problems may well present in a similar timeframe to the delivery of vaccines, but there is no causal link. Vaccines also don't "cause" autism or retardation.

The American Academy of Pediatrics would like to correct false statements made in the Republican presidential campaign that HPV vaccine is dangerous and can cause mental retardation. There is absolutely no scientific validity to this statement. Since the vaccine has been introduced, more than 35 million doses have been administered, and it has an excellent safety record.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vanilla Scripture

Nov 9, 2013
✟1,215.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People suffered horribly in the old days when there was no such thing as vaccinations to keep them safe from virus. Now in the 21st century people want to return to a primitive state where their immune system is compromised by strains they can't fight but can contract and give to others while suffering themselves.

Doesn't make sense.
Vaccinate.
But wait until your child is at least 24 months old so that their natural immune system is fully developed. Which doesn't usually happen until they're fully 18 months old at the very least.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And how much of that anti-vaccination literature is the result of years of medical research, and scientific study? Oh wait, I forget, doctors are a part of this huge conspiracy to make billions from patients so they won't speak up. LOL.

Seriously. You only have to look at real, historical facts to discover that huge swathes of the population were killed off by infectious diseases long, long before "big pharma" was invented. That is, unless "big pharma" generated the Black Death in the 1300s?

Measles, chickenpox, smallpox, polio ... all eradicated by vaccines in the first world long before "big pharma."

Pediatricians are not involved in the creation of vaccines, but an informed pediatrician can tell you exactly what is in a vaccination.

I have friends who are pharmaceutical sales reps and they tell me what they do for doctors. I know for a fact that many doctors are receiving perks for prescribing certain medicines, including steak dinners and cruises. Not to mention the monthly office visits with sushi platters and other goodies.

Medical schools receive tons of funding by Big Pharma. As Dr. David Browstein said, "As doctors, we are taught to identify that one pathology of an illnesses, but not how to achieve and maintain good health." Also, "The FDA will not endorse the use of natural substances to cure people unless millions have been spent on clinical trials and studies. But why would any pharmaceutical company do such a thing when there's no money to be made from them?"

So you can rely on the piles of Big Pharma literature to justify using drugs and chemicals in your body that don't treat the underlying cause of illness. I'll rely on personal experience and findings of doctors that truly care and aren't trying to make a buck off of me. To each his/her own.

And speaking of disease, 1/4th of the world's population living in China don't receive vaccinations. I don't see them dying on the side of the road from the plague or getting dementia or developing alzheimer's like us. My mother-in-law in China never received a vaccination in her life, has all her teeth and is a relatively healthy 80 year old, living in the country side. I'm not denying that vaccines helped to quell diseases, but there's a lot to be said for drinking lots of tea, eating lots of vegetables, and getting regular exercise.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I assume that you are talking about that headcase, Michele Bachmann and her assertion that HPV vaccine causes mental retardation. <eye roll>

There is no scientific evidence that vaccines cause psychological problems. Psychological problems may well present in a similar timeframe to the delivery of vaccines, but there is no causal link. Vaccines also don't "cause" autism or retardation.

In 1987, when thimerosol (a mercury based preservative) was used in vaccines in Europe, autism cases increased by 100%. The same happened in the United States in 1988. And this doesn't seem suspect to you? How can any amount of mercury, a potent neurotoxin, be good for you? Or what about DNA from aborted fetuses, which is used in the Rubella vaccine and around 15 others? Don't you think that, in conjunction with squalene, it's contributing to increased cases of illnesses like Lupus and different types of allergies, where the body's immune system is attacking itself? I guess we'll have to wait for million dollar studies by Big Pharma to put themselves out of business.

Still, according to Drs. David Brownstein, Guy Abraham, Jorge Flechas, Donald Miller and others, the biggest cause of mental retardation is a lack of iodine. And the FDA has been successful in restricting our access to it while establishing a ridiculous RDA of only 150 mcg/day (less than 100 times the amount we need for optimum health).

We live in an age where we've become so dependent on government, that we've given up our sovereignty to think for ourselves the way grandma and grandpa did.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Bobinator, you do know that disease existed prior to big pharma, right? You do know that millions died from even the most simple infections because nobody even knew about washing their hands before attending a wound, let alone without antibiotics? You do know that the average life expectancy has increased hugely, right? That people died in their 40s a couple of hundreds years ago, and women died in childbirth in swathes, and their children died with them? You do know that the simple infections that now can be treated by a vaccine have also killed millions? You do know that when people don't use vaccines, they risk infecting their own and other kids?

Oh, but let's follow China's example, because not having vaccines worked so well for us in the past.

And, you should know that travelers to China are advised to get Hepatitis shots, right, because the water has been known to carry Hepatitis?

You have to look at things from a historical perspective. For a very long time, China was closed off to the rest of the world, so of course the same diseases did not 'travel' the same way.

Interesting that this issue of ChinaDaily suggests that people get vaccinated for whooping cough. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2010-09/15/content_11305107.htm

Upvote 0