• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Vacation Spikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxers1

Jan 11, 2007
✟15,245.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just got back from a great vacation, but I was troubled that I found my OCD spiking while on vacation...I did my best to employ my therapy techniques but I was really annoyed that my vacation was scattered with various OCD spikes that seemed to put a damper on my mood. I can't tell you how many times I battled with the cancelling compulsion....I am really trying to replace the cancelling compulsion with "Oh well that's the way it goes" so I can get away from all the Nots and Nevers that are feeding the OCD. I have learned that it takes a really long time to learn the coping skills to ignore your OCD. It takes persistence and practice and the healing doesn't come overnight...It comes over a long stretch of time...So I guess we all need to be patient and EVERYTIME say "Oh well." Looking for a way to escape the thoughts is NOT effective...Allowing them to sit there and do nothing with them is the only "escape."
I am so grateful to all of you for this forum where I can learn about therapy and share in a safe environment with others who truly understand the pain of OCD.
Thanks for listening,
Boxers1

jc9992

Oct 2, 2006
Florida
✟7,946.00
Faith
Pentecostal
yeah i know what you mean about spikes messing up a vacation.when im on vacation i usually have these "scattered" spikes that i remember the trip for.

I too have been battling the cancel compulsion constantly the past couple days,but hopefully i can get back on track and not give up.i hope you can stop too.

Upvote 0

ObsessedButBlessed

Jul 15, 2007
✟8,131.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Ooooh...going on vacation always brings up the toughest times with my OCD. I think it is because when I had REALLY bad OCD spell last spring, I was on vacation. Now, whenever I go, I find myself testing myself to see if I am obsessing or not... and eventually, find myself going down that path.

I think you should focus on the fact that you tried very hard to battle your OCD with these new techniques. Great job! You're right, we don't get better right away, but with slow, steady progress... you can get there!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.