Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I shoot Steel Challenge and use red fiber-optics for the front sights on my competition guns with standard partridge-type rear sights. I've heard that a v-notch rear sight helps with faster target acquisition for those of us with failing eyes.

Any of you older folks have experience with v-notch sights?

Last edited:

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If sights are blurry you might use low power reading glasses to clear both front and rear sights up. Until I a bought a rifle with a scope I did this when hunting with my 30/30. I also wear them while bow hunting. It clarifies both sight pin and deer. No more fuzzy image. You're welcome. :)

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I shoot Steel Challenge and use red fiber-optics for the front sights on my competition guns with standard partridge-type rear sights. I've heard that a v-notch rear sight helps with faster target acquisition for those of us with failing eyes.

Any of you older folks have experience with v-notch sights?
Are you talking about buckhorn sights? For some reason I can acquire a brass tip through semi-buckhorn faster

R92_Rear.jpg

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for carbine this works best for me as I have top/bottom double vision in each eye. On my carbine I can see the front post and target good enough at 50 yards to knock out the 10 ring.

hqdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As for carbine this works best for me as I have top/bottom double vision in each eye. On my carbine I can see the front post and target good enough at 50 yards to knock out the 10 ring.

hqdefault.jpg

The small aperture of the rear peep sight causes the pupil to contract thus clarifying the view of the front sight. This doesn't happen with open rear rights. The downside is that peep sights aren't very good in low light situations, and can make it difficult to acquire the sight picture quickly.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The small aperture of the rear peep sight causes the pupil to contract thus clarifying the view of the front sight. This doesn't happen with open rear rights. The downside is that peep sights aren't very good in low light situations, and can make it difficult to acquire the sight picture quickly.
That is true. At the range in broad daylight it is fine but it isn't good for low light.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you talking about buckhorn sights? For some reason I can acquire a brass tip through semi-buckhorn faster

R92_Rear.jpg
I just got the Henry Big Boy .357/.38 rifle and this is the first time I can focus in on the target and front sight with enough accuracy to shoot 50 yards consistently. As for "fast" acquisition I am not sure as I didn't try. But for "consistency" I can say yes, that brass bead through a semi-buck-horn rear sight is my go to for 50 yards and more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status