Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Oil-producing Native American tribe seeks exemption from Biden drilling pause

The Ute Tribe of Native Americans have petitioned the government in response to Biden's executive orders going against fossil fuel exploration and harvesting, saying that because fossil fuels are so critical to the tribe's economy that he's threatening their sovereignty.

Other tribes derive a lot of their financial status from resource extraction, so I can imagine that more petitions will be filed before too long.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The Ute Tribe of Native Americans have petitioned the government in response to Biden's executive orders going against fossil fuel exploration and harvesting, saying that because fossil fuels are so critical to the tribe's economy that he's threatening their sovereignty.

Other tribes derive a lot of their financial status from resource extraction, so I can imagine that more petitions will be filed before too long.
Unfortunately that article groups leases on federal and tribal lands together. If this is a tribal sovereignty matter, shouldnt we be discussing those separately?

I mean what authority does or should the US govt even have over oil/gas development on tribal lands?

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Ah will his response be "Learn to Code", like he did that one guy 8-9 months ago..?

(Which I thought was a horrible and hypocritical response, if he or his son were put in a similar situation)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And what does Tesla stock have to do with it? Ultimately, Teslas are largely powered by fossil fuels, just like everything else.
Seems like the affordability of wind and solar is catching up to nat. gas for power generation. At least thats what Ive heard.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately that article groups leases on federal and tribal lands together. If this is a tribal sovereignty matter, shouldnt we be discussing those separately?

I mean what authority does or should the US govt even have over oil/gas development on tribal lands?

I though the discussion was about them being separate. Discussing the request by the Utes to be disinclined in the EO. Unfortunately the US government and often individual state governments tend to think they have a tremendous amount of authority on supposedly sovereign tribal lands.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I though the discussion was about them being separate. Discussing the request by the Utes to be disinclined in the EO. Unfortunately the US government and often individual state governments tend to think they have a tremendous amount of authority on supposedly sovereign tribal lands.
My first take is the fed govt shouldnt have authority over oil/gas development on tribal lands. But the article vaguely suggests that federal land policy is also an issue for the Utes. But I dont see a sovereignty issue there wrt to fed lands. Do you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Racist acts against Native Americans isn't exactly the best way to start off a presidency that supposedly is commited to "unity." But with Biden, it's no surprise.
How soon we forget...

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My first take is the fed govt shouldnt have authority over oil/gas development on tribal lands. But the article vaguely suggests that federal land policy is also an issue for the Utes. But I dont see a sovereignty issue there wrt to fed lands. Do you?

I am not familiar with "wrt". Could it mean "with regard to"? If so you have a superfluous to in there. I don't see as there is any sovereignty issue in regards to the Utes when it comes to lands that the Utes do not have sovereignty over. There is in my mind a sovereignty issue about the entire idea of having something called federal lands. I don't approve of the idea. I don't believe it is in keeping with the philosophy of a federal Democratic Republic. IMO If any entity is to own land within that system it should only be a state government and not the federal government. Of course, as with all things the federal government decides to do, my approval for that was never sought.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am not familiar with "wrt". Could it mean "with regard to"? If so you have a superfluous to in there. I don't see as there is any sovereignty issue in regards to the Utes when it comes to lands that the Utes do not have sovereignty over. There is in my mind a sovereignty issue about the entire idea of having something called federal lands. I don't approve of the idea. I don't believe it is in keeping with the philosophy of a federal Democratic Republic. IMO If any entity is to own land within that system it should only be a state government and not the federal government. Of course, as with all things the federal government decides to do, my approval for that was never sought.
Yes with regard to. Sorry about the double "to".

Please lets not go conflating tribal sovereignty issues with federalism issues. Its like everyone wants to bring their pet issues to the table all at once. It was racism issues further up the thread for some unknown reason.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian

I was thinking the same thing. I would think that Tribes would control what happens on their own land.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes with regard to. Sorry about the double "to".

Please lets not go conflating tribal sovereignty issues with federalism issues. Its like everyone wants to bring their pet issues to the table all at once. It was racism issues further up the thread for some unknown reason.
I am not for conflating anything. I will happily refrain from conflation. Are the Utes attempting to conflate sovereignty with federalism in this case or are they actually being commanded by Joe Biden what to not do on their sovereign land?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I was thinking the same thing. I would think that Tribes would control what happens on their own land.

Unless it is an oil pipeline.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am not for conflating anything. I will happily refrain from conflation. Are the Utes attempting to conflate sovereignty with federalism in this case or are they actually being commanded by Joe Biden what to not do on their sovereign land?
I read the article and it doesnt say. Maybe the OP person cares about this issue and could inform us, or maybe its just a bash-Biden drive by. I dunno.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read the article and it doesnt say. Maybe the OP person cares about this issue, or maybe its just a bash-Biden drive by. I dunno.
One can be interested in both. From my perspective, one will be.

Upvote 0