the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious what people think about this article. Basically, the Utah National Guard (and allegedly guard units from other states) were told they needed to leave their hotel by normal check out time today, by "order of the DC mayor."

Per the DC Mayor, she says she didn't order them evicted, rather that Trump ordered these various National Guard troops into DC (which is the one city he can do it legally) but that he is requiring DC to pay their hotel bills. In essence, she's saying DC did not ask for or want this large number of National Guard troops and so she refuses to have the city pay for their lodging. She didn't "evict" them, she instead told the National Guard they needed to pay for their own hotels. Since the military is not wanting to pay for the hotels, they are being "evicted."

The best number I can find is that 1500 National Guard from various states (not counting the DC National Guard troops in DC) have been deployed to Washington, D.C. I saw a number that it is costing $120/night per room to house these troops. According to Sen. Mike Lee, 1200 of these troops are being "evicted" -- the City of Washington, DC refuses to pay their bills anymore. That number, staying in DC hotels, would be a huge expense to a cities budget -- especially one that was not included in the annual budget. I can't blame the mayor for refusing to pay hotel bills for such a large number of troops that were not requested by the city.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The best number I can find is that 1500 National Guard from various states (not counting the DC National Guard troops in DC) have been deployed to Washington, D.C. I saw a number that it is costing $120/night per room to house these troops. According to Sen. Mike Lee, 1200 of these troops are being "evicted" -- the City of Washington, DC refuses to pay their bills anymore. That number, staying in DC hotels, would be a huge expense to a cities budget -- especially one that was not included in the annual budget. I can't blame the mayor for refusing to pay hotel bills for such a large number of troops that were not requested by the city.

If the Utah National Guard wants to take a field trip to DC maybe they should hold a bake sale.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the Utah National Guard wants to take a field trip to DC maybe they should hold a bake sale.

I don't have an issue with the Utah National Guard, they are just following the orders of their Commander in Chief. I actually have empathy for them, as they are caught in the middle of things, Trump trying to make himself the "law and order" President but trying to force DC to pay for his orders. Though, from what I've read, the Utah National Guard aren't being used as "law and order" but has instead been used to do clean up tasks around the city -- which seems like an inappropriate use of our military members.

If anything, particularly as a veteran, my complaint would be against Trump, who appears to believe that the armed forces are his own personal "work force" -- that he can assign them whatever task he wants done but can't find the money in the budget to hire actual workers to do (cleaning up DC, building his wall, etc).

• Optimistic
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Every time I stay at a hotel, they ask me for picture ID and a credit card.

From now on, I'll just jerk my thumb over my shoulder vaguely and say 'The mayor's paying for it.'

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From a purely economic perspective, I would have thought it's a fairly easy assessment:

Do the costs of accomodating the Utah National Guard exceed the short term costs of rebuilding after vandalism, looting, and arson, and the long term economic impact when corporations pull out because it's not worth the risk?

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes confusion is not the fault of any one person. But you'd think Marriott would have talked to the military commanders to see if there was another way to pay for the rooms before kicking them out. Unless maybe they actually needed the rooms for the people they were reserved for ...

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's another aspect to the story that's concerning. Military Times DC mayor asks Trump to withdraw troops and federal police, Guardsmen to leave hotels verifies what I've heard elsewhere, that although National Guard were identified, there were other units that wore no identification and refused to identify themselves. Am I being paranoid in considering that ominous? How do you even know they're actually Federal agents?

• Agree
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From a purely economic perspective, I would have thought it's a fairly easy assessment:

Do the costs of accomodating the Utah National Guard exceed the short term costs of rebuilding after vandalism, looting, and arson, and the long term economic impact when corporations pull out because it's not worth the risk?

Do they really need 1,500 National Guard from other states to perform that job, on top of the Metropolitan police and DC National Guard? Not to mention the Park Police, Secret Service, and other LE personnel that are located in DC. Particularly, as shown in the article in the above post, much of what the UNG unit has been doing is cleaning trash and graffiti? It seems like overkill, particularly given how much this is costing the government.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do they really need 1,500 National Guard from other states to perform that job, on top of the Metropolitan police and DC National Guard? Not to mention the Park Police, Secret Service, and other LE personnel that are located in DC. Particularly, as shown in the article in the above post, much of what the UNG unit has been doing is cleaning trash and graffiti? It seems like overkill, particularly given how much this is costing the government.

If the vandals, looters, and arsonists kick off again, then surely it would be good to have them around. Does the state have to pay anything for them apart from accomodation costs? And I doubt the hotels can justify charging regular rates, seeing as it's a block booking, and the combination of coronavirus and violent disorder probably means they have few other customers. How many people want to visit a city that has been trashed? Isn't it in everyone's interest to get the city cleaned up ASAP, unless people are just looking to score cheap points against Trump by rejecting the people he sent to help.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
If the vandals, looters, and arsonists kick off again, then surely it would be good to have them around. Does the state have to pay anything for them apart from accomodation costs? And I doubt the hotels can justify charging regular rates, seeing as it's a block booking, and the combination of coronavirus and violent disorder probably means they have few other customers. How many people want to visit a city that has been trashed? Isn't it in everyone's interest to get the city cleaned up ASAP, unless people are just looking to score cheap points against Trump by rejecting the people he sent to help.
There isn't much reason to visit DC while they are still in Phase 1. And Trump sent in the national guard against the explicit wishes of the local government. He has the power to do that, but he doesn't have the power to make DC bear the cost of that. DC sanitation can handle the mess well enough without needing hundreds of federal troops, including a contingent that is Special Forces trained.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time I stay at a hotel, they ask me for picture ID and a credit card.

From now on, I'll just jerk my thumb over my shoulder vaguely and say 'The mayor's paying for it.'

...or Mexico.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I didn't say none should be there, just that 1500 seems like overkill. Not to mention, I'm not thrilled with the idea, as a Veteran, that a Green Beret unit is being tasked to work basically as janitors.

Look at this for a moment -- without calling in any additional law enforcement, DC can call on the Metropolitan Police, the US Marshal's Service (which in DC has agents that act essentially as county sheriffs would in most states), the DC Housing Authority Office of Public Safety, DC Protective Services Division (the officers that provide security for DC monuments not policed by Federal agencies), Metro Transit Police (maybe not great for helping stop a riot but they do protect the DC subway system from rioters), the US Park Police (who cover DC parks and monuments operated by the National Park Service), and the Washington National Cathedral Police. All of these can be called upon by the Mayor of DC.

On top of those police departments, you have the Amtrak Police, the Armed Forces Retirement Home Police (which will protect those buildings), Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police, DC National Guard, the FBI and the FBI Police (there are actually police to protect the FBI and their buildings), Federal Protective services (more police that protect various federal monuments and buildings in the DC area), Government Publishing Office police, Military Police (given the high number of military installations and buildings in the DC area), Naval District of Washington Police, Smithsonian Police, Supreme Court Police, and the US Capitol Police (which has hundreds of officers).

In total, there are over 4,200 officers working as some type of "police" in Washington, D.C. With the shut down, there are few tourists, most of Congress is not in DC, etc. You start to see why the DC Mayor did not see a need for National Guard units from out of state.

Upvote 0