United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
KPLC said:
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah is a step closer to requiring all cellphones and tablets sold in the conservative state to automatically block inappropriate contentography after the Republican governor signed legislation Tuesday that critics call a significant intrusion of free speech.

Gov. Spencer Cox has said the measure would send an “important message” about preventing children from accessing explicit online content. The proposal is the latest move in Utah’s legislative campaign to curb the availability of inappropriate content.

Utah governor signs divisive measure to require inappropriate content filters

Brought to you by the party of 'get the gubmint out of our lives'. with a soupcon of "Won't someone think of the children?" moral panic.
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Elliewaves

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It seems like a government over reach on private freedom. That kind of stuff should be on government computers for things like schools, libraries, various state and federal agencies etc. and should be something that people can elect to have on their phones when they buy them.

The article did say the bill would not go into effect unless 5 other states passed similar legislation.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, and it's not likely that this law will survive Constitutional muster either, on First Amendment grounds.

Even if it did, the unintended effect would probably be for phones to either become extremely expensive in Utah or for big companies to just skip selling them in Utah anymore.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,352.00
Faith
Christian
The legislation as it stands is pointless - state-based controls simply won't work and people could simply buy a device from over the border.

However, I do think that the idea that we should control or block inappropriate content in some way is not unreasonable. While I don't care if someone wants to stare at nudie pics in their own home, there is an awful lot of evidence both of the harm done by it and the illegal practices of the industry itself.

For the same reason we manage to control guns, albeit imperfectly, due to the harm they do, I think there is a way to restrict some of what is shown online for the same reason.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Brought to you by the party of 'get the gubmint out of our lives'. with a soupcon of "Won't someone think of the children?" moral panic.
Ringo
Another example of GOP cancel culture in action.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0

Nine of Spades

♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤ ♤
Nov 13, 2020
Texas
✟28,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Ringo

You should read the testimonies from former inappropriate content stars who talk about how awful the adult film industry is. They say there is a lot of blackmail that goes on. For example, if a woman doesn’t want to sleep with a creepy-looking or ugly male inappropriate content star, the producers will threaten to withhold wages she already earned or, even worse, expose her career choice to her parents on social media. Many women are abused and exploited just so socially inept men who can’t get a girlfriend can have dirty videos for self-pleasure.

I can’t find any links on the said subject, but I do recall reading several such testimonies on various blogs I used to frequent. I’ll post one later if I can find it.

By the way, opposition to inappropriate contentography isn’t a Republican thing, nor is it a conservative thing. Many people from all political persuasions rightfully oppose this awful, exploitative industry. Here is a video of Noam Chomsky, considered a very left-wing person, criticizing the adult film industry and explaining why it should be illegal:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0