Utah anti-evolution bill gets the smackdown.

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
http://sltrib.com/ci_3552481

The Utah House of Representatives voted 46-28 to kill SB96, which cast doubt on the teaching of evolution.

Urquhart, a St. George Republican, first amended the bill, stripping any reference to 'origins of species." The gutted bill simply read:The
State Board of Education shall establish curriculum requirements relating to scientific instruction." Urquhart opposed Buttars' bill because he doesn't feel that science conflicts with religion and said it was misleading to single out one theory as unproven.

Gutted by a republican and voted down in Utah.

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
Although I'm not LDS, I got to give props to them. They own the complete majority in the house, but they didn't pass it. I knew that this wouldn't pass, because first, ID got smacked down by our state education board and evolution was unanimously supported by the board, and second, our Republican and LDS governor stated that he supports science.

Take that Kansas.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh man, Buttars is quite a character: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635171066,00.html

"It doesn't hinder them about talking about evolution at all," Buttars said. "They can talk about evolution from the Big Bang or life crawled out of the slime somewhere. But what they can't do is . . . tell students, 'This is how it happened, how you became man, you evolved from an ape.' That is all I asked the State Board of Education to do in the first place, and they thumbed their noses at me.

"You don't know how life began; nobody does in the scientific community," Buttars said. "Therefore, you can only teach these things as theories. It's a small step, but it's a big step, and I can pass this bill."

Buttars said last summer intelligent design should be taught in Utah public schools — perhaps in a required philosophy or humanities class — if students are to be taught that humans evolved from lesser species.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
USincognito said:
I'm so glad that the Utah legislature took Kansas and Dover to heart and realized that religious based objections to teaching science are untennable in an evidentiary or Constitutional sense.

Not just the legislator, but our state educational board. The bill was introduced by Buttars after the a meeting was called about evolution. Buttars brought a witness to support ID, but instead, the first action was a vote to unanimously support evolution. Buttars started to ask for time to present his side, and the board basically told him to shut up. Buttars brought the bill to try to go above the board. The bill was killed when another republican stripped the language and changed it to, "Only the state educational board can decide science standards."

No need for a $1 million lawsuit for us.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Praxiteles said:
And now we should all hold hands and offer a prayer of thanks to Saint John Jones III. :thumbsup: For his works are mighty and his deeds far-reaching.
I'm seeing a market for a new wave of holy icons! Not to mention relics! Who wants an authentic splinter from Judge Jones' mighty gavel?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
REPUBLICANS ARE NOT THE ANSWER, NOR SHOULD THEY EVEN IMAGINE THAT THEY ARE ----------- THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS THE ONLY ANSWER.

Any theory that does not point to CHRIST is not a theory CHRISTIANS should bet on.....

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
LittleNipper said:
REPUBLICANS ARE NOT THE ANSWER, NOR SHOULD THEY EVEN IMAGINE THAT THEY ARE ----------- THE LORD JESUS CHRIST IS THE ONLY ANSWER.

Any theory that does not point to CHRIST is not a theory CHRISTIANS should bet on.....
Calm down my Lil'nip. You're blood pressure is on the rise again. Close your eyes. Imagine...

Your now in a nice, warm valley, looking at the sheep, the green gras, feeling the warmth of the sun.

Inhale....

Exhale...

Inhale...

Exhale...

Doesn't that feel nice and comfortable? Just relax... Relax...

Inhale...

Exhale...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tomk80 said:
Calm down my Lil'nip. You're blood pressure is on the rise again. Close your eyes. Imagine...

Your now in a nice, warm valley, looking at the sheep, the green gras, feeling the warmth of the sun.

Inhale....

Exhale...

Inhale...

Exhale...

Doesn't that feel nice and comfortable? Just relax... Relax...

Inhale...

Exhale...

It is funny how people view capital letters. They are simply an attention grabber and have nothing to do with the person typing them. A better way to see a person's demeanor is to watch for misspelling of small words and if words are skipped. That may mean they are thinking faster than they can type and are too worked up to proofread what they wrote....

Upvote 0

Garnett

Jan 10, 2006
✟16,110.00
Faith
Agnostic
Sorry - I feel the need to rant.

LittleNipper said:

Haha. Out comes CAPSLOCK. When all else fails, shout, eh, Lil'Nip?

Most Christians here realise acceptance of the theory of evolution is not contrary to Christianity. Why can't you?

I notice also that you seemed to have given up on 'Jurassic beaver' turns theory on its tail. How can you walk away from a debate, without walking away from your mistaken position in that debate? Just another aspect to your twisted logic.

Surely debate can be seen as a tool for reasoning, a way to ascertain the best, most rational view on a topic. If nobody can stand up for a position that position is discarded.

The funny thing about debating with Creationists is that so often the belief in Creationism comes with a stubborness to change one's viewpoint. I am sure the people with this fault also fail to realise it is a fault and actually take pride in their unreasoned stubborness. This means these people start from an erroneous position and refuse to be moved elsewhere. I do not have a problem with this inability to interact with other members of society, whether it comes from ignorance or arrogance (and I can't see any other possible cause), but when these people try to inflict their views on others I get fed up.

Why should an individual be allowed (or even have the temerity to expect to be allowed) to foist their views on the rest of society when they demonstrate such a resentment to, intolerance of, and lack of any reasoned counter argument against the ideas of the rest of society which come back the other way?
http://www.christianforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=22303479
I don't object to your perversion just as long as you keep it to yourselves, it's between consenting adults (and by that I mean informed consent) and nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: caravelair
Upvote 0

TheInstant

Hooraytheist
Oct 24, 2005
✟8,738.00
Faith
Atheist
LittleNipper said:
It is funny how people view capital letters. They are simply an attention grabber and have nothing to do with the person typing them. A better way to see a person's demeanor is to watch for misspelling of small words and if words are skipped. That may mean they are thinking faster than they can type and are too worked up to proofread what they wrote....

The thing about typing in all caps is that when a person reads they tend to see the overall shape of the word instead of the individual letters. When words are in all caps you cannot do this anymore. That is why reading type that is in all caps is so annoying. Please stop typing like that.

Upvote 0