• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

USS Oregon & Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'Creationism' started by dunash, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunash

dunash New Member

+0
    Word of Faith
    Single
    It is claimed that "Naval architects rediscovered that the Ark's dimensions were the optimum for riding stormwaves with maximum stability, making it completely uncapsizeable. The 1935 USS Oregon was constructed to exactly the Ark's ratios, and is considered to have been the most seaworthy warship ever built."

Yet elsewhere it is said that the source of this claim is "Lost Cities of China, Central Asia and India" by David Hatcher Childress, described as "a rogue adventurer and a maverick". The USS Oregon was 348x68x24 feet. The Ark was 450x75x50 feet ie significantly different ratios. Patrick McSherry documented the Oregon's entire life and wrote that "it rolled excessively until retrofitted with bilge keels".

Is the famous comparison in Creationist circles between the two ships a myth & a red herring?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. juvenissun

juvenissun ... and God saw that it was good.

+771
    Baptist
    Married
    The whole thing sounds like some soap opera conversations to me.

3. MatthewDiscipleofGod

MatthewDiscipleofGod Senior Veteran

+261
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    I never heard of the comparison. I can say though that this site has a load of ark information and is an excellent source on this subject.

4. dunash

dunash New Member

+0
    Word of Faith
    Single
    According to a creationist article George W.Dickie designed the USS Oregon's 348x69x24 feet
    to the same ratio as the Ark's 300x50x30 cubits. But the ratio doesn't
    seem to be close.

5. Biblewriter

Biblewriter Senior Member Supporter

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    I know it is possible for such a thing to happen twice, but this story was originally told about a ship in the Royal navy of Great Briton.

6. dunash

dunash New Member

+0
    Word of Faith
    Single
    Have you the name of the RN ship?

7. Biblewriter

Biblewriter Senior Member Supporter

+1,221
    United States
    Christian
    Married