Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Turns out that, in the middle of a pandemic, there isn’t much need for hospital beds for people not suffering from the pandemic.

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 3 Patients.

Such were the expectations for the Navy hospital ship U.S.N.S. Comfort that when it chugged into New York Harbor this week, throngs of people, momentarily forgetting the strictures of social distancing, crammed together along Manhattan’s west side to catch a glimpse.

On Thursday, though, the huge white vessel, which officials had promised would bring succor to a city on the brink, sat mostly empty, infuriating local hospital executives. The ship’s 1,000 beds are largely unused, its 1,200-member crew mostly idle.

Only three patients had been transferred to the ship, officials said, even as New York hospitals struggled to find space for the thousands infected with the coronavirus. Another Navy hospital ship, the U.S.N.S. Mercy, docked in Los Angeles, has had a total of 15 patients, officials said.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,391.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
My understanding was that these two ships would relieve the hospitals by treating traumatic injuries and other cases so that the hospitals could concentrate on COVID ---- this avoids cross contamination

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My understanding was that these two ships would relieve the hospitals by treating traumatic injuries and other cases so that the hospitals could concentrate on COVID ---- this avoids cross contamination

YEAH!!!! finally someone with some understanding and not just talking out of other parts of their anatomy.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My guess is that Mercy is docked somewhere in San Pedro. I have no idea more specific than that. Even now assuming no traffic that is close to an hours drive.

I know exactly where my local hospital is. I ride by it on my bike several times a week. Come to think of it I know where the front desk admitting is and also the emergency admitting is. I think it is similar for most people.

So lets say I mess up and injure myself badly. If I am still good enough to drive I'm not driving for an hour. I might not be able to drive by the end of that time. If I'm badly enough hurt that I can't drive it is pretty likely that I'm going to be in real trouble if it takes an hour to get me to a hospital.

It seems to me that the hospital ship in LA is really only useful for patients who will need care for a while and are then worth transporting after their initial care.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Turns out that, in the middle of a pandemic, there isn’t much need for hospital beds for people not suffering from the pandemic.

The 1,000-Bed Comfort Was Supposed to Aid New York. It Has 3 Patients.
It's so early. It really is. Potential new patients will happen over time. People have been resting at home (and if they needed prescriptions would typically have them). Rest is good for those that have health problems. It's very early to see how much such non-corona beds will be used. When needs are pressing enough (they will grow), it will have an effect on all of those restrictions and rules. Just my guess. The DOD and administration don't want that to become a new scandal we could guess. An interesting item: that huge convention center will be converted to be corona, which totally makes sense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This stood out --

"Across the city, hospitals are overrun. Patients have died in hallways before they could even be hooked up to one of the few available ventilators in New York. Doctors and nurses, who have had to use the same protective gear again and again, are getting sick. So many people are dying that the city is running low on body bags."

It's starting.

Coming soon to the cities in your state, and the rural hospitals too.

But in NY City, it won't be so hidden as it has been in many places before now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums