✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can the OP define unconditional love?

Is it love given without a condition that simething be done?

Or is there another definition

When I asked a group of the non-Christian teenage boys I work with what unconditional means, they said "without conditions". Websters concurs.

If someone says that isn't what Bible means by unconditional, ask them where unconditional is used in the Bible. It isn't there.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 3:28-29King James Version (KJV)

28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost(CHRIST JESUS) hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

That doesn't show unconditional love. Or is that what you were trying to demonstrate?

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The condition is that a man believes what God has done through his Son for the whole world.

I agree. But God's idea of "belief" is more active than man's. It requires action. Every New Testament writer confirms that.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I asked a group of the non-Christian teenage boys I work with what unconditional means, they said "without conditions". Websters concurs.

If someone says that isn't what Bible means by unconditional, ask them where unconditional is used in the Bible. It isn't there.
so that takes us back to the question I keep asking but no one is willing to answer...what condition is placed on God's Love?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The condition is that a man believes what God has done through his Son for the whole world.
So your assertion is that even though scripture says that God LOVES us even when we didn't believe that His Love is only given to those that believe? How does that even make sense much less how is that supported in scripture?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But God's idea of "belief" is more active than man's. It requires action. Every New Testament writer confirms that.
Actually Belief unto salvation is a belief of the heart meaning it is a conscious choice to accept God's Love (that was given without conditions) and in that acceptance live as if we are Loved by the Creator. IOW's it's a determination to live as a son of the Most High God no matter the circumstances but there is nothing about that belief that is conditional when it comes to God extending His Love to us, rather belief is about how we respond to God's unconditional Love not whether or not God offered us Love.

Upvote 0

Matthew13:9

Nov 13, 2017
ontario
✟3,460.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So your assertion is that even though scripture says that God LOVES us even when we didn't believe that His Love is only given to those that believe? How does that even make sense much less how is that supported in scripture?

God died as a man for all sin for all men: even those that do not believe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On God's part I can't disagree.
ISn't that what we are talking about? Is God's Love conditional? The only answer I see in scripture is that there are NO conditions on God's Love to us....IOW's He Loves us unconditionally. I can't find any scripture that would even suggest otherwise yet some here seem to think that scripture teaches that there are conditions on God's Love...I would like to know what those conditions supposedly are.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually Belief unto salvation is a belief of the heart meaning it is a conscious choice to accept God's Love (that was given without conditions) and in that acceptance live as if we are Loved by the Creator. IOW's it's a determination to live as a son of the Most High God no matter the circumstances but there is nothing about that belief that is conditional when it comes to God extending His Love to us, rather belief is about how we respond to God's unconditional Love not whether or not God offered us Love.

In trying to catch up on your posts to me:

(1) unconditional love: No conditions to receive the full love. That doesn't mean "no conditions before love is expressed." That means "no conditions at all--before or after that love is expressed."
(2) I have continued to argue that God has never claimed that He has unconditional love for each and every man. This is a theological construct. Where did it come from, if it wasn't blatantly expressed in the Scripture? It is an assumption built on Scriptures that talk about God's GREAT (not unconditional) love and the death of His Son for us, while we were still yet sinners/enemies.
(3) I have never implied or meant to imply that God did not have to LOVE US FIRST (prevenient love). I believe I have said that was absolutely necessary for us and I have argued that all of us needed that prevenient love to be shown to us a minimum of twice (in what Jesus did, and then in an individual way). I don't question that God loves first. I just don't believe that loving first (even while we were still yet enemies) equals "unconditional love".
(4) I have shared verses that Jesus said (like John 15:9-10). If you have to do something to "continue in His love," it was never unconditionally given. I understand you and I disagree on this. You have already shared that.
(5) I also think "salvation"/staying in relationship cannot be separated from the "unconditional love" question.
(a) I don't believe God acting in unconditional love toward ALL MEN would allow ANY MAN to go into the hell described in the Bible. The hell described in the Bible is full out punishment with no chance of parole or repentence, if the Word of God is True (and I believe it is).
(b) Turning people over to a reprobate mind (Romans 1) or a reprobate mind (2 Thes 2) before they die is not "unconditional love" toward those people. Heb 6:4-6 also talks about those who fall away unable to be renewed to repentence if they fall away. That also doesn't show unconditional love which would be ever-ready to take them back no matter what they did, because there are no conditions and God realizes what hell will be like for them, if He doesn't let them repent.

I understand you don't agree with me on that. That is your choice. But I can't say it more clearly.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In trying to catch up on your posts to me:

(1) unconditional love: No conditions to receive the full love. That doesn't mean "no conditions before love is expressed." That means "no conditions at all--before or after that love is expressed."
Okay but what conditions govern God's Love? You show conditions for accepting that Love, conditions for living in the favor of that Love but no conditions for that Love to be given. In fact, one passage used to defend conditions says that God Matthew 5:45 which is the favor of Love shown to everyone, you know, without conditions...now that is not to say that we can't reject Love, if we couldn't it wouldn't be Love at all and we talked about that already...remember our son who refuses the benefits of our love? But that is not a condition on Love it is our son refusing to accept that Love. There is no condition but if he doesn't accept it there is nothing we can do but keep offering it unconditionally.
(2) I have continued to argue that God has never claimed that He has unconditional love for each and every man. This is a theological construct. Where did it come from, if it wasn't blatantly expressed in the Scripture? It is an assumption built on Scriptures that talk about God's GREAT (not unconditional) love and the death of His Son for us, while we were still yet sinners/enemies.
and yet you fail to show conditional Love in scripture. Without support from scripture you have no case by contrast many here have shown you where scripture talks about unconditional Love. I really think the core of the disagreement is what we mean by unconditional Love.
(3) I have never implied or meant to imply that God did not have to LOVE US FIRST (prevenient love). I believe I have said that was absolutely necessary for us and I have argued that all of us needed that prevenient love to be shown to us a minimum of twice (in what Jesus did, and then in an individual way). I don't question that God loves first. I just don't believe that loving first (even while we were still yet enemies) equals "unconditional love".
so we are back to what unconditional Love means...now I have shown you both in scripture and in real life what it means to me and you haven't seemed to question that understanding but you also refuse to address those examples. Let's take my son for example. I told him that he would always be welcomed in our home, invited, wanted, Loved, etc. because we respect him enough to let him make his own decisions. To which he replied, "if that is love I don't want it because it makes me feel bad about myself." Now, he is not reaping the benefits of our Love because he refused it but please tell me what conditions were put on that Love? There aren't any....in fact, our Love still flows out to him and calls him to come home but he refuses. He made up in his mind that because he decided to do something that we personally don't approve of that he would not be Loved. IOW's like you, he himself put conditions on our Love and because of that he refuses the very Love that he craves. The problem is that those conditions are a lie, a false construct of his mind in order for him to justify his decisions. They are not real and unfortunately keep him from the benefits of Love that we want to give him. The same is true for our putting conditions on God's Love that are not there.
(4) I have shared verses that Jesus said (like John 15:9-10). If you have to do something to "continue in His love," it was never unconditionally given. I understand you and I disagree on this. You have already shared that.
the only problem with your assertion if found in the context of scripture which is something we dare not dismiss. I would appreciate you addressing the contextual problems with your assertions.
(5) I also think "salvation"/staying in relationship cannot be separated from the "unconditional love" question.
as with our son it's an acceptance or dismissal of unconditional Love you are talking about here and as such is not making your case that God's Love is conditional.
(a) I don't believe God acting in unconditional love toward ALL MEN would allow ANY MAN to go into the hell described in the Bible. The hell described in the Bible is full out punishment with no chance of parole or repentence, if the Word of God is True (and I believe it is).
now we get into hell...as I pointed out previously, hell is the consequence for sin not the punishment for it....which in essence brings us back to the question of what condition is on Love. What you are trying to make a case for is that unconditional Love should remove our free will or choice. But see the problem with this argument is that if there is no choice it isn't Love at all. Love has built into it a choice, without that there is no Love
(b) Turning people over to a reprobate mind (Romans 1) or a reprobate mind (2 Thes 2) before they die is not "unconditional love" toward those people. Heb 6:4-6 also talks about those who fall away unable to be renewed to repentence if they fall away. That also doesn't show unconditional love which would be ever-ready to take them back no matter what they did, because there are no conditions and God realizes what hell will be like for them, if He doesn't let them repent.
why not...if I am being stubborn and defiant no matter the correction given why is allowing me to go my own way to see what our choices boil down to not LOVE? IOW's sometimes Love allows us to go our own way so that we can see where we should be...that is how Love works. Love has a goal, a purpose and that purpose is to show us that Love desires only what is best for us...if the only way I can see that is through being allowed to go my own way then that is what Love does...as I said, no conditions.

As to Hebrews I laugh only because there is a huge debate over what that means. But I do believe that it is talking about those who have experienced the fullness of God's Love and then reject it. So, let's look at it from a modern standpoint...mix in a bit of scripture and see where the conditions lie or if there are conditions....we have a prodigal son who takes his inheritance and squanders it...comes home and is welcomed with open arms as a son again...yeah...but instead of learning from his days of wandering, the son decided that he is due another inheritance and another bout of disobedient defiant behavior and demands the father cater to his whims no matter what. Does unconditional Love say, "screw the brother this child will get everything I have and can squander it without any restrictions till all I have and all I am is spent"? Or does unconditional Love say, "look, son, I love you but you have already been down this path and you have already spent your inheritance and now it is time for your brother to receive his portion. You are still my son but you have been foolish with what you were given." See, if we carefully read Heb in context this is the picture we are given. Which is unconditional Love?
I understand you don't agree with me on that. That is your choice. But I can't say it more clearly.
I'm not asking you to say it more clearly, you are clear enough on what you believe what I am asking you to do is address the issues I find with your opinions on the matter. If you cannot address the issues and concerns and questions I can't possibly fully understand where you are coming from and why and isn't that what discussion is suppose to do? exchange ideas and opinions in such a way as that we both can grow in our understanding of what the other is saying?

Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mark 3:28-29King James Version (KJV)
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost(CHRIST JESUS) hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.
Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the Earth. Matthew 5:5

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is about salvation not love.

My argument is that they aren't separate issues. It is because of His great love that some are saved and that some are not. And, I agree with the follow-on posted Scripture! I love Hebrews.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Okay but what conditions govern God's Love? You show conditions for accepting that Love, conditions for living in the favor of that Love but no conditions for that Love to be given. In fact, one passage used to defend conditions says that God Matthew 5:45 which is the favor of Love shown to everyone, you know, without conditions...now that is not to say that we can't reject Love, if we couldn't it wouldn't be Love at all and we talked about that already...remember our son who refuses the benefits of our love? But that is not a condition on Love it is our son refusing to accept that Love. There is no condition but if he doesn't accept it there is nothing we can do but keep offering it unconditionally. and yet you fail to show conditional Love in scripture. Without support from scripture you have no case by contrast many here have shown you where scripture talks about unconditional Love. I really think the core of the disagreement is what we mean by unconditional Love. so we are back to what unconditional Love means...now I have shown you both in scripture and in real life what it means to me and you haven't seemed to question that understanding but you also refuse to address those examples. Let's take my son for example. I told him that he would always be welcomed in our home, invited, wanted, Loved, etc. because we respect him enough to let him make his own decisions. To which he replied, "if that is love I don't want it because it makes me feel bad about myself." Now, he is not reaping the benefits of our Love because he refused it but please tell me what conditions were put on that Love? There aren't any....in fact, our Love still flows out to him and calls him to come home but he refuses. He made up in his mind that because he decided to do something that we personally don't approve of that he would not be Loved. IOW's like you, he himself put conditions on our Love and because of that he refuses the very Love that he craves. The problem is that those conditions are a lie, a false construct of his mind in order for him to justify his decisions. They are not real and unfortunately keep him from the benefits of Love that we want to give him. The same is true for our putting conditions on God's Love that are not there. the only problem with your assertion if found in the context of scripture which is something we dare not dismiss. I would appreciate you addressing the contextual problems with your assertions. as with our son it's an acceptance or dismissal of unconditional Love you are talking about here and as such is not making your case that God's Love is conditional. now we get into hell...as I pointed out previously, hell is the consequence for sin not the punishment for it....which in essence brings us back to the question of what condition is on Love. What you are trying to make a case for is that unconditional Love should remove our free will or choice. But see the problem with this argument is that if there is no choice it isn't Love at all. Love has built into it a choice, without that there is no Love why not...if I am being stubborn and defiant no matter the correction given why is allowing me to go my own way to see what our choices boil down to not LOVE? IOW's sometimes Love allows us to go our own way so that we can see where we should be...that is how Love works. Love has a goal, a purpose and that purpose is to show us that Love desires only what is best for us...if the only way I can see that is through being allowed to go my own way then that is what Love does...as I said, no conditions.

As to Hebrews I laugh only because there is a huge debate over what that means. But I do believe that it is talking about those who have experienced the fullness of God's Love and then reject it. So, let's look at it from a modern standpoint...mix in a bit of scripture and see where the conditions lie or if there are conditions....we have a prodigal son who takes his inheritance and squanders it...comes home and is welcomed with open arms as a son again...yeah...but instead of learning from his days of wandering, the son decided that he is due another inheritance and another bout of disobedient defiant behavior and demands the father cater to his whims no matter what. Does unconditional Love say, "screw the brother this child will get everything I have and can squander it without any restrictions till all I have and all I am is spent"? Or does unconditional Love say, "look, son, I love you but you have already been down this path and you have already spent your inheritance and now it is time for your brother to receive his portion. You are still my son but you have been foolish with what you were given." See, if we carefully read Heb in context this is the picture we are given. Which is unconditional Love? I'm not asking you to say it more clearly, you are clear enough on what you believe what I am asking you to do is address the issues I find with your opinions on the matter. If you cannot address the issues and concerns and questions I can't possibly fully understand where you are coming from and why and isn't that what discussion is suppose to do? exchange ideas and opinions in such a way as that we both can grow in our understanding of what the other is saying?

You seem to have an opinion that what I say is an opinion, but what you say is backed in Scripture. I have said before and will continue to tell you that what I am saying is backed in Scripture, whether you try to shout down those Scriptures or not, whether you declare them irrelevant to the topic or not, they are both relevant and of equal value. It is not opinion.

So, you can play this game where I accuse you of having opinions that are problematic and you can accuse me of that; but, how does the insult-slinging bring us help anything? A theology of unconditional love CANNOT explain "vessels of wrath prepared for destruction", being turned over to a reprobate mind, being condemned to hell for blaspheming the Holy Spirit, the inability to be moved back to repentance if you taste, turn away, and want to come back again, sending a strong delusion so men will believe a lie so they all might be damned. And, the list goes on.

My problem isn't with God doing that. He is truly God and can do what He decides is right as the Sovereign. He doesn't have to answer to anyone but Himself.

But, with an understanding of the conditional love of God, I don't have to explain any of that away. I don't have to backpedal with the Old Testament. And, what Jesus did isn't any less significant in my view of the world than in your view of the world.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have an opinion that what I say is an opinion, but what you say is backed in Scripture. I have said before and will continue to tell you that what I am saying is backed in Scripture, whether you try to shout down those Scriptures or not, whether you declare them irrelevant to the topic or not, they are both relevant and of equal value. It is not opinion.
hold on just a moment...I said nothing of the sort...what I said is that you have not made your case from scripture as best I can tell. You have offered scriptures that seem to not be related to the question being ask which is why I have offered rebuttal of your claims. You refuse to respond to that rebuttal which leaves me wondering why? If your case is scriptural then why not just answer the rebuttal as I have with you and move on with some sort of agreement as to what scripture says? It is your refusal to address the rebuttals that is troubling. For example, I show you the context and ask you how it applies and you are silent then come and accuse me of dismissing your scriptures...hog wash...I am asking you how in context of the passage the passage says God's Love is conditional when it is talking about something other than God's Love....if you can't answer that then I guess we can assume your interpretation is wrong because as I have previously stated, a right interpretation holds up to questions and scrutiny.
So, you can play this game where I accuse you of having opinions that are problematic and you can accuse me of that; but, how does the insult-slinging bring us help anything?
huh? I have addressed every "problem" that was presented for what I am saying. It is you who have refused to address the problems with your theology...and I have not accused you of anything but refusing to address the challenges to your theology which is nothing more than a matter of public record.
A theology of unconditional love CANNOT explain "vessels of wrath prepared for destruction",
how not? I have addressed it biblically and you didn't offer anything in rebuttal. Shall I summarize for you so you can offer a rebuttal?

The passage that led into that discussion was dealing with Pharaoh. As we see in the text not only is there nothing at all about this being a life long hardening of the heart but it also shows that Pharaoh did have a change of heart before once again hardening his heart. IOW's if we look at the account that is given as an example there is nothing in the text that suggests that God did not Love Pharaoh only that He used Him for the specific purpose of showing others who He is. This same theme is shown throughout scripture in all kinds of different ways not to mention that all the vessels in the other text are being used by God just some for one job while others for another.

Let's look at another example...what Paul a vessel that was created for wrath or something else? He started out being a persecutor of the brethren which is a "vessel of wrath" in God's eyes....yet God's Love for Paul was so great that He pursued him till he turned from his sin, from a vessel of wrath into a vessel for noble purpose. You see, when we look at the examples of what is being said it does NOT suggest nor say that God's Love is conditional...but let's look deeper

The whole passage in question is Romans 9:6-29 of which I would quote the whole thing if it weren't for space...none the less let's look at the context....The context of this passage is limited to Israel...iow's not all of Israel will be saved for there has to be room for the Gentiles. Now this was a big deal in biblical days so it is important to talk about how God brought salvation to not only the Jews but to the Gentiles as well. IOWs God's Love was so unconditional that it was given to both the Jews and Gentiles. So far, your passage that supposedly claims conditions is showing us unconditional but let's keep looking....By verse 13 we are into Jacob and Esau which is obviously talking about one being servant to the other and not something else of which I couldn't even follow the conversation being had...Verse 14 then clarifies what is being said which has to do with God's justness and not His Love. So we have a couple of problems right off the bat, both in context of the passage you claim says conditions on God's Love, first is that it is talking about Israel only which we know is God's chosen people, iow's Loved by God, second it is talk about god being just and not about His Love. Then we go to Pharaoh as an example which I speak of above and you have not offered anything to explain how I am wrong....Now verse 21 clarifies further and in the NIV it says this "some for special purposes and some for common use"...which takes us back to Paul...Paul was created to do a special task, another great example is John the Baptist....not everyone can be Pharaoh, Paul, John, nor can they have those jobs, jobs with noble purpose. Some of us have to just be simple ordinary people doing simple ordinary things. Consider this passage as evidence...Ephesians 2:10...God has designed us for a purpose, some of those designed purposes are for extraordinary things other for very ordinary things...please do tell how that equals a condition on God's Love? Do you really believe that God Loved Paul but not the Samaritan woman at the well since they were created for very different tasks? ...verse 23 is the key to our whole discussion however...we once again are talking about those created for wrath and look at what it says and I quote " What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25 As he says in Hosea:" Notice that in the context of the passage in question glory/heaven was created even for the subjects of wrath...how very interesting. A "conditional" Love that is extended even to the objects of wrath that God created. How does that equal conditional Love? Please specify how objects God uses to demonstrate His power and might are not allowed to experience His Love because it is conditional when the same advantages of that Love are extended even to them? I am very curious how you answer that question of your theology...the passages finishes with the prophesy that clarifies the above understanding as I have presented it.

So if you want to discuss, discuss and tell us how your assertion that God gives even an opportunity for enjoying the benefits of His Love to the "objects of wrath" are conditions placed on His Love?

being turned over to a reprobate mind, being condemned to hell for blaspheming the Holy Spirit, the inability to be moved back to repentance if you taste, turn away, and want to come back again, sending a strong delusion so men will believe a lie so they all might be damned. And, the list goes on.
I would love to get into the context of this one as well but you are refusing to address anything that even suggests you might be wrong so if you are changing your mind and willing to discuss let's discuss the above then tackle this one. As I said, I have been studying this for many years now and so I have looked at all these passages in depth. Maybe it is time we did so together to see what I must have missed...[/quote]

My problem isn't with God doing that. He is truly God and can do what He decides is right as the Sovereign. He doesn't have to answer to anyone but Himself. [/quote]amen but we are talking about whether or not His Love is conditional and you haven't evidenced it is yet. In fact, I have repeatedly asked what condition is on His Love and you won't even answer what condition you think is on His Love only that condition given for remaining in the favor of His Love which is not the same thing.
But, with an understanding of the conditional love of God, I don't have to explain any of that away. I don't have to backpedal with the Old Testament. And, what Jesus did isn't any less significant in my view of the world than in your view of the world.
I have no idea what you are even suggesting here...everything I have said is straight out of scripture and is consistent with the totality of scripture. Any scholar worth a salt will tell you that scripture interprets scripture if we want to know what it says.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The word "unconditional" doesn't need to be there when the implication of it is thoroughly present.

St. Paul in his epistle to the Romans writes that God, "demonstrates His love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). Notice that God's love for us wasn't after we did X, Y, and Z in order to merit or win over God's affections, it was while we were still sinners, while we were enemies of God (Romans 5:10) that we were reconciled to Him. Was there something about us that made God love us? No, not as St. Paul says it, God had love for us and on that account, Christ died for us and God reconciled us--sinners and enemies--to Himself.

And consistently throughout Scripture that's the theme of God's love. God loves us, not because there's something that we did to win His affection, or because we did anything righteous to merit His favor; but just the opposite we've done nothing of worthwhile to win Him over to us, and in fact, we have done everything possible to stand opposed to God. What did Paul say in Romans 3? "All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" and "There is no one righteous, not even one. No one has understanding, there is no one who seeks God." (Romans 3:10-11).

So what condition was there that triggered God's love for us? There wasn't one. God loved us, because that's who God is. What does St. John write? "God is love" (1 John 4:8), and what else does he say, does he say, "God loved us because we loved Him?" No, just the opposite, "We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19).

The occasion of God's love is that He is love, and He has purposed to redeem and rescue His creation out of His love for what He has made, and that means coming down to meet us sinners, acting in all our blood-thirsty hatred of Him, suffering at our hands in love, and dying for us that we might be reconciled to God, redeemed, saved. Because that's who God is, the One who throws Himself away in love for the unloving and the unlovely. While we were enemies of God, even while our fists were balled up, shaking them furiously at God because of our own hatred of all that is good, He wrapped us up in the robes of His righteousness, in Jesus, and declared us to be His own beloved children. That's who God is.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0