• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Using Faith to Deal with PTSD Triggers

Eternum

May 28, 2019
College Station, TX
✟12,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I haven't stated clearly in previous posts, but I have been officially diagnosed with PTSD. I've been to therapy for it. Joined another forum that was strictly about PTSD survivors helping each other. Neither of these avenues were religious-based though. Given how much spiritual health and faith entwines with mental, social, and other kinds of health, I have a bunch of questions about that:

- Thoughts on medication?
- How to use faith during acute phases, such as panic attacks?
- If you have PTSD and are Christian, does this affect your ability to go to church?
- Do you receive much understanding from the Christians immediately around you?
- What are the long-term effects on your faith?

I wanted to say it's thanks to many on CF offering prayers and suggestions on where to point my prayers that things have become a lot more peaceful for me lately. More peaceful than a long time. God has been able to work miracles, and I'm really grateful.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find when I am triggered (for whatever reason)

At that moment the trigger mechanism is vulnerable, this is the time to trust God and really pray for transformation inside, instead of feeling guilty (or enter other unhelpful emotional reaction here) and going through the regular addictive cycle that is instinctual.

Triggers have an addictive aspect to them, kind of like when people are addicted to horror movies or bad type relationships.

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't stated clearly in previous posts, but I have been officially diagnosed with PTSD. I've been to therapy for it. Joined another forum that was strictly about PTSD survivors helping each other. Neither of these avenues were religious-based though. Given how much spiritual health and faith entwines with mental, social, and other kinds of health, I have a bunch of questions about that:

- If you have PTSD and are Christian, does this affect your ability to go to church?

I wanted to say it's thanks to many on CF offering prayers and suggestions on where to point my prayers that things have become a lot more peaceful for me lately. More peaceful than a long time. God has been able to work miracles, and I'm really grateful.

The spiritual health side of PTSD would be healing from the fear overtime with Jesus.

The medical health side would recommend antidepressants or some other drug to help cope with it and therapy.

I suppose these two would be intwined in treatment.

Labelling also can make it harder to overcome the past. You can become the label. Or see it as a symptom of the trauma that occurred in the past that takes time to heal from with Christ.

Upvote 0

rainingviolets

Jun 24, 2019
Midwest
✟17,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you're asking if taking medication for PTSD implies a weak faith, my answer is no. God provided the advancements in science and medicine to provide those medications to help us. PTSD is an illness. We need our medication just as anyone suffering with an illness does.

As a result of all the trauma I experienced as a child and as repressed memories were being uncovered as an adult, I had a breakdown. During this time I was employed as the administrative assistant at the church I attended for over 30 years. During that time I had served on various boards, taught classes, and was considered a respected member of the congregation and a woman of faith. Sadly, once I had my breakdown and was diagnosed with PTSD and depression, this Christian congregation shunned me so badly I ended up having to leave that church. I received terrible anonymous notes (and even an anonymous recording), was avoided in public, and was a favorite topic of gossip. The pastor even refused to pray with me. I was so badly emotionally hurt by these dear Christians that it took 5 years for me to find another church. Today I attend a lovely chuch, but do not share with these new friends about my PTSD or my experiences at our previous church. Sadly, stigma still exists.

Upvote 0

Eternum

May 28, 2019
College Station, TX
✟12,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If you're asking if taking medication for PTSD implies a weak faith, my answer is no. God provided the advancements in science and medicine to provide those medications to help us. PTSD is an illness. We need our medication just as anyone suffering with an illness does.

As a result of all the trauma I experienced as a child and as repressed memories were being uncovered as an adult, I had a breakdown. During this time I was employed as the administrative assistant at the church I attended for over 30 years. During that time I had served on various boards, taught classes, and was considered a respected member of the congregation and a woman of faith. Sadly, once I had my breakdown and was diagnosed with PTSD and depression, this Christian congregation shunned me so badly I ended up having to leave that church. I received terrible anonymous notes (and even an anonymous recording), was avoided in public, and was a favorite topic of gossip. The pastor even refused to pray with me. I was so badly emotionally hurt by these dear Christians that it took 5 years for me to find another church. Today I attend a lovely chuch, but do not share with these new friends about my PTSD or my experiences at our previous church. Sadly, stigma still exists.

Ah, to clarify, I agree with you about medication. I also believe God provided advancements in science and medicine to help us. I was also wondering what folks might utilize in their faith alongside it, as those I have spoken with thus far have been purely secular.

Regarding the rest of what you shared, I really appreciate your candid openness. What you went through is awful. Even though things have worked out to a degree for you, that's not right. I'm glad you held onto your faith and I believe for us and anyone else we can eventually heal from it all. I just hope that you can find a true haven where all of you is accepted until then. It's insane how so many Christians say they follow Christ but will not accept the wounded as Christ does.

I find when I am triggered (for whatever reason)

At that moment the trigger mechanism is vulnerable, this is the time to trust God and really pray for transformation inside, instead of feeling guilty (or enter other unhelpful emotional reaction here) and going through the regular addictive cycle that is instinctual.

Triggers have an addictive aspect to them, kind of like when people are addicted to horror movies or bad type relationships.

I've mulled this over a lot since I read it, and I'm intrigued at how insightful this is. It's true. I also like the perspective that moments of being triggered, or having emotional storms, are opportunities to transform. It was in large part due to this advice that a few days ago, when it was really bad for me, I made some different decisions and had a miraculous outcome. So thank you. :)

The spiritual health side of PTSD would be healing from the fear overtime with Jesus.

The medical health side would recommend antidepressants or some other drug to help cope with it and therapy.

I suppose these two would be intwined in treatment.

Labelling also can make it harder to overcome the past. You can become the label. Or see it as a symptom of the trauma that occurred in the past that takes time to heal from with Christ.

I just wanted to say in general that I really appreciate your kind messages of encouragement throughout CF to so many. I see them all the time. Thank you. :)

That last paragraph... yeah. While I appreciate knowing what bear I'm wrestling in the dark with, it can easily go wrong. Become too much of the focus. That was *the* reason I stepped away from the PTSD forum I found. I don't want to be that guy! I want my focus in life to be on following Christ, and trusting Him.

Do you have any favorite scriptures to share?

Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, to clarify, I agree with you about medication. I also believe God provided advancements in science and medicine to help us. I was also wondering what folks might utilize in their faith alongside it, as those I have spoken with thus far have been purely secular.

Regarding the rest of what you shared, I really appreciate your candid openness. What you went through is awful. Even though things have worked out to a degree for you, that's not right. I'm glad you held onto your faith and I believe for us and anyone else we can eventually heal from it all. I just hope that you can find a true haven where all of you is accepted until then. It's insane how so many Christians say they follow Christ but will not accept the wounded as Christ does.

I've mulled this over a lot since I read it, and I'm intrigued at how insightful this is. It's true. I also like the perspective that moments of being triggered, or having emotional storms, are opportunities to transform. It was in large part due to this advice that a few days ago, when it was really bad for me, I made some different decisions and had a miraculous outcome. So thank you. :)

I just wanted to say in general that I really appreciate your kind messages of encouragement throughout CF to so many. I see them all the time. Thank you. :)

That last paragraph... yeah. While I appreciate knowing what bear I'm wrestling in the dark with, it can easily go wrong. Become too much of the focus. That was *the* reason I stepped away from the PTSD forum I found. I don't want to be that guy! I want my focus in life to be on following Christ, and trusting Him.

Do you have any favorite scriptures to share?

Aw thanks! That's so nice of you to say. I do bring out the stinger at times as well.

Too many favs...

Isaiah 43:18-20 (Do not dwell on the past)

Philippians 3:13-14 (Putting the past behind us)

Ephesians 4:23-24 (Renewed thoughts)

Acts 2:38

2 Corinthians 5:17-18

Joshua 1:9
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

Isaiah 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord himself, is the Rock eternal.

(Because my mother left me when I was 16)
My absolute favourite verse is,

Isaiah 49:15
Can a mother forget her baby and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!

Maybe look up for verses on forgiveness as well and ones on the blood of Christ.

• Informative
Reactions: Eternum
Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't stated clearly in previous posts, but I have been officially diagnosed with PTSD. I've been to therapy for it. ....I have a bunch of questions about that:

I was diagnosed with PTSD, DID, and dissociation.

There are some great medicines which work specifically for PTSD's nightmares. I've tried one and it worked great for sleeping better. For me though, the side effects were worse than the cure.

I talk to God/Jesus a mile a minute, pouring out my feelings, memories, flashbacks, nightmares, etc. to him. I've found that works best for me. I must say though that because of my abuse and what it involved I cannot read the bible. I've tried for years. Prayed about it. Snippets of it are fine yet opening a bible and reading?...yikes!

I've been shunned by several churches. That coupled with seeing words from the bible in a song...yikes...can't handle that at all.

I hope to return someday.

I am fortunate to have found a Christian therapist who has a Master of Divinity. She only uses it when clients specifically ask about issues. There's no judgment from her about my PTSD, DID, dissociation and not attending church.

As well I know other Christians from online support forums who are understanding and they suffer from PTSD as well.

I think the most difficult is not being part of a church in person and to be able to fellowship.

I feel as close to Jesus as I've always felt from the moment I accepted him into my life. Though it's different now because I know the whys behind my needing to leave the church. My faith is strong.

• Useful
Upvote 0

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,276.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I do not agree with the concept of using medication to conceal symptoms though I acknowledge that sometimes they are life saving. My way is by natural means to enable the body to heal, so healthy diet and supplements. There are studies that show this way really helps with things like anxiety. definitely giving up stimulants like caffeine.

I find that using a symbol like an anchor (Christ holding us steady in the storms) is useful to concentrate the mind, and practise getting into that space that calms ones mind, with the help of breathing and relaxation excercises.

Seriously, so I go in late and leave early. I cannot trust myself not to overshare and have done this much to my embarassment as no support was there.

Little apart from the usual 'I will pray for you'. They have no idea and I am too traumatised to teach them better. What we need is love to heal. I got some once though some Christians I met away from home. They baked me a cake after reading up on my allergies. It touched me deeply and holds me up.

I have gone through many struggles as to why God has not provided the support I need but know that He can provide it all. It just requires resting in that. There have been some times when I have just held on by a thread but I always seem to get though.

God bless you and may you find peace in Christ.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Personally, I didn't find medication helpful with PTSD, but ymmv and that's a conversation to have with your doctors, really.

I find this question a bit confusing, because I'm not sure that I'd say I "use" faith in general. Does my faith offer me resources and sources of resilience? Yes, to some extent, and that was mostly actually from finding people in my faith community whom I could trust to talk to.

Not as such, but it definitely sent a wrecking ball through my prayer life.

On the whole, no. I was fortunate, when my PTSD was at its most debilitating, to have a couple of people who were absolutely amazing supports for me (one of them had PTSD herself), but I find there is little understanding of mental health issues in general or trauma in particular in churches.

That's not an easy question.

It was complicated for me in that I had dissociated a lot of memories to do with the trauma I'd been through, and they began to surface again while I was on retreat in a religious setting. So all of the pain, the dysphoria, the symptoms, stemmed from that time, when I had given myself to a time of intense prayer... it's made it extremely difficult to trust God in the same way I did before, because there's always the awareness that God allowed the trauma and then God allowed it all to come back in this absolutely debilitating way, during a time I had given to God. So prayer can be a very vulnerable time, a time when I don't know what else God might do or allow that might be debilitating. I don't feel completely safe in the same way.

And intellectually I know God loves me, works all things together for the good etc. etc., but you can't go back and make it as if that never happened, if you know what I mean?

• Informative
Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Back in 1988, I wished the medication for PTSD and nightmares had been available. I wasn't a Christian at that time and I couldn't sleep at all due to severe nightmares which plagued me all night long. I slept for 2 hours, sometimes less, each night. There wasn't much help available from therapists either. They didn't have a clue how do deal with PTSD and its symptoms. One therapist did say I had the worst PTSD she'd ever seen. She had been in practice for over 10 years seeing primarily clients with childhood trauma. There were no trauma specialists in 1988.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On the whole, no. I was fortunate, when my PTSD was at its most debilitating, to have a couple of people who were absolutely amazing supports for me (one of them had PTSD herself), but I find there is little understanding of mental health issues in general or trauma in particular in churches.

I don't feel that the majority of the church is supportive either. There are usually two reactions:

People won't lend a listening ear because they don't feel qualified
or
People tell you that you just need to have "more faith" to overcome it

Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard worse from pastors. Things I'd never thought a pastor would say to someone who's wounded from childhood abuse. Reminds of the book Why Do Christian's Shoot Their Wounded. I read that ages ago.

One pastor called me paranoid and he wanted to have me exorcised. Seriously? As far as I'm concerned he should've gone first. ;) Another called me a liar. Another refused to allow me to play on the worship team until I was fully healed. Say what? An impossibility. What happened to me will take more than a lifetime to heal. So God won't use me to minister to others until I'm fully healed? Poppycock! God uses the broken as much as he uses the whole believer.

Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've heard worse from pastors. Things I'd never thought a pastor would say to someone who's wounded from childhood abuse. Reminds of the book Why Do Christian's Shoot Their Wounded. I read that ages ago.

"Shoot the wounded"... I agree this should not be. That could result in someone being retraumatized.

Upvote 0

Mea_kākau

I'm A Work in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2016
Washington State
✟38,440.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't feel that the majority of the church is supportive either. There are usually two reactions:

People won't lend a listening ear because they don't feel qualified
or
People tell you that you just need to have "more faith" to overcome it

Or worse, "how come it's taking you so long to get over this?" I heard this from more than one pastor and especially supportive church leadership.

My therapist has told me some things about what happened will remain with me for the rest of my life. She's a Christian with a Master of Divinity degree so I believe her when she tells me these things. I believed God would heal it all and that's not always the case.

For instance, I had to install extra drawers in my kitchen to hide all knives because they trigger me. I hoped and believed some day I'll be able to free up those drawers. My therapist told me no.

• Friendly
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hoped and believed some day I'll be able to free up those drawers. My therapist told me no.

People should respect, and be sensitive towards you healing at your own pace. As long as you are improving, that's what counts. We are all work in progress as long as we remain on this earth.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums