Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
B-corporations:

Certified B Corporation

Fair Trade certifications:

World Free Trade Organization discussing the role of business as essential for addressing global poverty & climate issues:

No climate justice without trade justice

Global Organic Textile Standard detailing their method of certification for ethical businesses:

The Certification of organic textiles - GOTS

A critical article detailing different fair trade certifications, which listed the above three as the best ones to look for:

The 3 Ethical Certifications You Can Trust (And 7 That Might Not Mean Much) | Ethicalista

The TV show A Force For Good, bringing ethical businesses to the televised spotlight. The philosophy behind the show is that business is the God-given vocation for human flourishing in Creation (episodes also available on YouTube):

A Force For Good | EWTN

The Kroger brand Simple Truth has Fair Trade certification:

https://www.kroger.com/b/simpletruth/why-simple-truth/fair-trade

The way we shop can have quite the impact, and we all shop quite a bit during our lives. As many social justice issues are out there that can make us feel powerless, I like sharing this information because we can have a real impact, starting today. Send feedback to stores have ethical certifications, thanking them for what they do (I thanked & encouraged Kroger for taking this step with Simple Truth; they need to know that shoppers appreciate money going somewhere good!).

I simply want to open this thread up for discussion on anything I shared above.

• Winner
Reactions: Eftsoon

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not entirely sold on fair trade. It seems to be a last gasp for attempting to collectivize agriculture, and collectivized agriculture was a disastrous failure in the 20th century which resulted in many people starving to death who didn't need to.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never believed in HANDOUTS. I'm all for EDUCATING people and giving them TOOLS whereby they can support themselves... Handouts are NEVER a blessing.

I agree mostly. However some people are so down and out they absolutely need a handout before they are ready for a hand up.

Consider the temporary use of chemical fertilizer to get something, anything, growing on a barren plot. Once vegetation is established organic methods can be incorporated.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nearly 50% of Companies’ Sustainability Claims Are “Exaggerated, False, or Deceptive,” According to New Probe

Garments, cosmetics and household product companies came under the microscope in a recent “sweep” of websites, in which regulators found that nearly half of sustainability-centric claims made by brands are lacking.

In furtherance of an annual screening of the marketing claims made on companies’ websites, this year with a special focus on greenwashing, the European Commission revealed that national consumer protection authorities had reason to believe that in 42 percent of cases of companies making “green” claims, the claims were “exaggerated, false or deceptive.”

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree mostly. However some people are so down and out they absolutely need a handout before they are ready for a hand up.

Consider the temporary use of chemical fertilizer to get something, anything, growing on a barren plot. Once vegetation is established organic methods can be incorporated.
I'm fine with that...but it's a TEMPORARY, like 6 month type of thing...not GENERATIONAL as it is today.

• Agree
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm fine with that...but it's a TEMPORARY, like 6 month type of thing...not GENERATIONAL as it is today.

I think we're seeing the formation of a large, permanent underclass that will need help on a perpetual basis. Of course I'm speaking of immigrant minorities mainly, who will find that assimilation into the productive job market will be very difficult. That's why we placed limits on immigration from third world countries. A limited number have a good chance to learn the language, customs, etc. that will advance them. However the current numbers will overwhelm the process resulting in failure that they (and we) may never recover from.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nearly 50% of Companies’ Sustainability Claims Are “Exaggerated, False, or Deceptive,” According to New Probe

Garments, cosmetics and household product companies came under the microscope in a recent “sweep” of websites, in which regulators found that nearly half of sustainability-centric claims made by brands are lacking.

In furtherance of an annual screening of the marketing claims made on companies’ websites, this year with a special focus on greenwashing, the European Commission revealed that national consumer protection authorities had reason to believe that in 42 percent of cases of companies making “green” claims, the claims were “exaggerated, false or deceptive.”

Most advertising contains falsehoods. Often so obvious that it must be a joke, albeit one that consumers usually don't get. :scratch:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a business owner I’m committed to sustainable fashion, fair wages, and working conditions.

As a consumer we buy organic and humanely raised food from direct sources and rely on the grocer as needed.

We make our own cleaning and beauty products or purchase items with natural ingredients that are cruelty and paraben free and never tested on animals.

~bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As a business owner I’m committed to sustainable fashion, fair wages, and working conditions.

As a consumer we buy organic and humanely raised food from direct sources and rely on the grocer as needed.

We make our own cleaning and beauty products or purchase items with natural ingredients that are cruelty and paraben free and never tested on animals.

~bella

While some of us can afford organic foods, many cannot. Organic is labor intensive and requires much more land than conventional agriculture thus the higher prices. Cereal grain crops cannot be easily converted to organic, leaving most food products made from such dependent upon conventional methods. So presently organically produced foods are a luxury for those that can afford them. Of course home gardens can be managed organically, but this doesn't help the masses who don't have such garden space.

Some price comparisons where I shop.

Organic eggs xtra lg - $5.00 doz.
Conventional xtra lg - $1.50 doz.

Organic skim milk - $7.00 gal.
Conventional--------$2.50 gal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
So presently organically produced foods are a luxury for those that can afford them. Of course home gardens can be managed organically, but this doesn't help the masses who don't have such garden space.

Affordability is subjective. We assign values to different items. I'd rather afford better food with less chemicals and harmful ingredients than material items. This is the only body I have. You are what you eat and what I eat is a priority.

I see the difference in my health, skin, and fitness. I'm not riddled with ailments or swallowing a pharmaceutical cocktail. The upsides are worth the expense. :)

~bella

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant