Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Talk about a German schism is getting louder and louder, it seems. Funny how history repeats itself. I mean, let's be honest, if the German bishops broke off there wouldn't be a shred of difference between them and the Lutherans, so basically the latter would just get bigger. Maybe it'd take a few years for the effect to be realized but that's where it would go, I'm sure of it. The German bishops want everything the Lutherans have - open communion, female clergy, gay marriages and ordinations. So just like the way Rome brought breakaway Anglicans into the fold with the Ordinariate, I imagine the schismatic German Catholics will be ultimately be folded into the Lutherans.

On another note, it's fascinating to me that there's so much talk of things like schism between by the Germans, and political secession here in the U.S. I guess we're at a crossroads worldwide where people will have to choose sides pretty soon.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Talk about a German schism is getting louder and louder, it seems. Funny how history repeats itself. I mean, let's be honest, if the German bishops broke off there wouldn't be a shred of difference between them and the Lutherans, so basically the latter would just get bigger. Maybe it'd take a few years for the effect to be realized but that's where it would go, I'm sure of it. The German bishops want everything the Lutherans have - open communion, female clergy, gay marriages and ordinations. So just like the way Rome brought breakaway Anglicans into the fold with the Ordinariate, I imagine the schismatic German Catholics will be ultimately be folded into the Lutherans.

On another note, it's fascinating to me that there's so much talk of things like schism between by the Germans, and political secession here in the U.S. I guess we're at a crossroads worldwide where people will have to choose sides pretty soon.
People have turned their politics into an idol. It’s their religion.

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
People have turned their politics into an idol. It’s their religion.

That's no exaggeration either. I have a family friend who's so religious about his devotion to the GOP, I agree with a lot of his views but I'm so uncomfortable when a person spends that much more time thinking and talking about politics rather than their faith in, and relationship with, God.

It seems like for those who have struggled to find their identity in Christ and the faith, politics is the only other thing that offers something similar. But it's really a perverted identity, even if ideology in question is morally closer to God than the alternatives.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's no exaggeration either. I have a family friend who's so religious about his devotion to the GOP, I agree with a lot of his views but I'm so uncomfortable when a person spends that much more time thinking and talking about politics rather than their faith in, and relationship with, God.

It seems like for those who have struggled to find their identity in Christ and the faith, politics is the only other thing that offers something similar. But it's really a perverted identity, even if ideology in question is morally closer to God than the alternatives.
I can spot a political animal a mile away. I avoid them. I think it’s great to be aware but I tend to like people that are more multifaceted that eating and breathing politics 24-7. What really grinds me is when they try to politically label Jesus and let their politics rule them instead of their faith. I see them as worldly puppets.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,830.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can spot a political animal a mile away. I avoid them. I think it’s great to be aware but I tend to like people that are more multifaceted that eating and breathing politics 24-7. What really grinds me is when they try to politically label Jesus and let their politics rule them instead of their faith. I see them as worldly puppets.

Right, the good ol' "renaissance man" as opposed to the one who eats and breaths politics. I wager not even the pundits on Fox News or CNN spend their off hours going on and on and on about the Supreme Court or the Equality Act.

Be well-rounded people!

What really grinds me is when they try to politically label Jesus and let their politics rule them instead of their faith.

Oof tell me about it. Yeah it's as if Jesus is there as a vehicle to suit and serve their political addiction rather than be the Messiah that he is.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did at one time. I have given up politics
Thats the healthy thing to do. Of course be informed and write your representatives when needed but to be consumed by it where it overtakes you’re identity and life, you have to dump it like a hot potato. I’m more of the mindset of trying to improve things that you can. Volunteer, etc. But when you are trying to make your faith conform to your politics, you know you are in trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums