• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

US Theologians Echo Fears of Schism in Catholic Church in Germany

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+39,223
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+9,027
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Talk about a German schism is getting louder and louder, it seems. Funny how history repeats itself. I mean, let's be honest, if the German bishops broke off there wouldn't be a shred of difference between them and the Lutherans, so basically the latter would just get bigger. Maybe it'd take a few years for the effect to be realized but that's where it would go, I'm sure of it. The German bishops want everything the Lutherans have - open communion, female clergy, gay marriages and ordinations. So just like the way Rome brought breakaway Anglicans into the fold with the Ordinariate, I imagine the schismatic German Catholics will be ultimately be folded into the Lutherans.

On another note, it's fascinating to me that there's so much talk of things like schism between by the Germans, and political secession here in the U.S. I guess we're at a crossroads worldwide where people will have to choose sides pretty soon.

3. Michie

+39,223
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    People have turned their politics into an idol. It’s their religion.

4. Fenwick

+9,027
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    That's no exaggeration either. I have a family friend who's so religious about his devotion to the GOP, I agree with a lot of his views but I'm so uncomfortable when a person spends that much more time thinking and talking about politics rather than their faith in, and relationship with, God.

It seems like for those who have struggled to find their identity in Christ and the faith, politics is the only other thing that offers something similar. But it's really a perverted identity, even if ideology in question is morally closer to God than the alternatives.

5. Michie

+39,223
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I can spot a political animal a mile away. I avoid them. I think it’s great to be aware but I tend to like people that are more multifaceted that eating and breathing politics 24-7. What really grinds me is when they try to politically label Jesus and let their politics rule them instead of their faith. I see them as worldly puppets.

6. Fenwick

+9,027
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Right, the good ol' "renaissance man" as opposed to the one who eats and breaths politics. I wager not even the pundits on Fox News or CNN spend their off hours going on and on and on about the Supreme Court or the Equality Act.

Be well-rounded people!

Oof tell me about it. Yeah it's as if Jesus is there as a vehicle to suit and serve their political addiction rather than be the Messiah that he is.

7. Michie

+39,223
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus was concerned with the Kingdom of God. He was not concerned with worldly politics.

8. Taodeching

Taodeching Well-Known Member

+384
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Constitution
    I did at one time. I have given up politics

9. Fenwick

+9,027
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm just about there myself.

10. Michie

+39,223
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Thats the healthy thing to do. Of course be informed and write your representatives when needed but to be consumed by it where it overtakes you’re identity and life, you have to dump it like a hot potato. I’m more of the mindset of trying to improve things that you can. Volunteer, etc. But when you are trying to make your faith conform to your politics, you know you are in trouble.