Los Angeles Area
✟827,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
OK, we don't have a strategic cheese reserve, but we have a surplus stockpile that's enormous.

While Americans consumed nearly 37 pounds per capita in 2017, it was not enough to reduce the country's 1.4 billion-pound cheese surplus, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The glut, which at 900,000 cubic yards is the largest in U.S. history, means that there is enough cheese sitting in cold storage to wrap around the U.S. Capitol.

The stockpile started to build several years ago, in large part because the pace of milk production began to exceed the rates of consumption, says Andrew Novakovic, professor of agricultural economics at Cornell University.

Evidently, we're drinking less milk, so surplus milk is being made into cheese. Simultaneously, our tastes in cheese are becoming more refined, which is probably a good thing, unless you're producing mass quantities of processed cheese.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
This a major part of the reason that the USA put so much pressure on Canada for greater access to Canada for milk and dairy products in the negotiations leading up to the CUSMTA. Canada has a supply side management system that works extremely well. That is something that the USA dairy industry needs to seriously consider rather than bullying your greatest ally.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
That is something that the USA dairy industry needs to seriously consider rather than bullying your greatest ally.

Why are you eating 'Kraft Dinner' when you can be eating American Kraft Mac & Cheese with authentic American non-perishable processed cheese-food powder?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why are you eating 'Kraft Dinner' when you can be eating American Kraft Mac & Cheese with authentic American non-perishable processed cheese-food powder?

Actually, as a Canadian I no longer buy for the best price. I look to the label and if its American made I avoid it unless it is the only product available. I will continue to do so until the USA treats Canada fairly in trade.

Upvote 0

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OK, we don't have a strategic cheese reserve, but we have a surplus stockpile that's enormous.

While Americans consumed nearly 37 pounds per capita in 2017, it was not enough to reduce the country's 1.4 billion-pound cheese surplus, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The glut, which at 900,000 cubic yards is the largest in U.S. history, means that there is enough cheese sitting in cold storage to wrap around the U.S. Capitol.

The stockpile started to build several years ago, in large part because the pace of milk production began to exceed the rates of consumption, says Andrew Novakovic, professor of agricultural economics at Cornell University.

Evidently, we're drinking less milk, so surplus milk is being made into cheese. Simultaneously, our tastes in cheese are becoming more refined, which is probably a good thing, unless you're producing mass quantities of processed cheese.

This would be American Cheese. Do you think that Americans are eating more foreign cheeses which causes a cheese trade imbalance?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This would be American Cheese. Do you think that Americans are eating more foreign cheeses which causes a cheese trade imbalance?

I don't know how big the cheese market is, but I would imagine that yes, over the last 10-20 years, domestic suppliers have lost some market share to foreign, boutique suppliers. When I was a kid, you'd have to go to a specialty cheese shop or butcher to find anything other than cheddar, swiss, or monterey jack. Nowadays, most run-of-the mill grocery stores have a decent cheese selection.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This a major part of the reason that the USA put so much pressure on Canada for greater access to Canada for milk and dairy products in the negotiations leading up to the CUSMTA. Canada has a supply based quota system that works extremely well. That is something that the USA dairy industry needs to seriously consider rather than bullying your greatest ally.

What a bizarrely cumbersome way to say "American dairy industry".

What is funny about my post @JackRT ? Y

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Do you think that Americans are eating more foreign cheeses which causes a cheese trade imbalance?

At least yes on the first part.

"What has changed — and changed fairly noticeably and fairly recently — is people are turning away from processed cheese," Novakovic says. "It's also the case that we're seeing increased sales of kind of more exotic, specialty, European-style cheeses. Some of those are made in the U.S. A lot of them aren't."

It would be great if the US had a micro-cheese revolution like the micro-brew revolution. More places like Cowgirl Creamery.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I remember when the US government gave out free cheese.
Now they give free money, medical, housing, education, financing, transportation, etc etc etc .... (but there is a HORRIBLE, terRIBLE cost) (stealing people's hearts and souls, draining life out of each one , when they can ..... removing access to anything right and truthful for vast multitudes )

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now they give free money, medical, housing, education, financing, transportation, etc etc etc .... (but there is a HORRIBLE, terRIBLE cost) (stealing people's hearts and souls, draining life out of each one , when they can ..... removing access to anything right and truthful for vast multitudes )
I try not to debate politics.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cheese (or any dairy for that matter) isn't a healthy food anyway... Not to mention, dairy farming (or any farming involving cows) is horrendous on the environment...both in terms of climate change, and if people don't believe climate change, it also does bad things to the air quality & local water supplies.

If they have that much, then that means it's time for the government to stop subsidizing the dairy industry. (or at the very least, stop giving them concessions with regards to the ecological damage they do)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I try not to debate politics.
Nor I.
Just posting what Yahweh Says in Scripture about what's going on today.

He knew all along, always.

As Jesus says, I tell this ahead of time so you know it, and your joy (disciples joy) will not be diminished as it happens.
In the world, will be much suffering, painfully....

"But Be Of Good Cheer, I Have Overcome The World"

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
If they have that much, then that means it's time for the government to stop subsidizing the dairy industry.
Not according to the government, the congress, the corporations, or the dairy farmers.

It has been pork barrel spending for almost 100 years........ sheer waste and greed....

Upvote 0