North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Helen Thomas announced Monday that she is retiring, effective immediately," Hearst news reported.

"Her decision came after her controversial comments about Israel and the Palestinians were captured on videotape and widely disseminated on the internet."

BBC News - US reporter Helen Thomas quits over Israel comments

Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish!!! One less anti-semite we will be hearing from!:clap::clap::clap:

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Och! I always thought so highly of Helen Thomas. But I can't say that's a very thoughtful, nuanced view of the situation in the region. Even if the first generation had no business being moved there, we're down to the second and third generations, here. For them, _that_ is home. There is no other home to which they can go.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I find it hypocritical that she's being attacked for expressing her freedom of speech, when I've seen most people here complain that there isn't enough of it (freedom of speech). What ever happened to freedom of opinion?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,550.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I find it hypocritical that she's being attacked for expressing her freedom of speech, when I've seen most people here complain that there isn't enough of it (freedom of speech). What ever happened to freedom of opinion?
Well said. Let's not forget that this came from a 89 year old lady.

Just wait for the responses when she dies....

Reactions: Caitlin.ann
Upvote 0

SwordoftheLord

Defender of the Faith
Mar 23, 2009
✟18,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does anyone have a link to the full video were she said all these things? I saw clips on the news but never the full thing and didn't even get to hear that really.

Theres a post I believe in the Baptist boards here that shows a video of it..

I am all for free speeech, but disagree with what she said ad the way she expressed it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,550.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
For most Christians, denigrating Islam, calling Muslims terrorists etc. etc. is all about freedom of speech and it is perfectly justifiable. But one comment about the apartheid state of Israel, and you're an anti-Semite!:doh:
You realize that when you even mention this you come dangerously close to crossing the line into "blame Israel first" and "terrorist apologist" camps, correct? ;)

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
For some Christians, denigrating Islam, calling Muslims terrorists etc. etc. is all about freedom of speech and it is perfectly justifiable. But one comment about the apartheid state of Israel, and you're an anti-Semite!:doh:
Edited for precision.

I think part of her sentiment was bang on. It was the "go home" bit of it that was probably impractical... but the whole "you're on someone else's land" is pretty appropriate.

Upvote 0

bsd31

Aug 16, 2009
South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Edited for precision.

I think part of her sentiment was bang on. It was the "go home" bit of it that was probably impractical... but the whole "you're on someone else's land" is pretty appropriate.

Wait... Who is on someone else's land? Wasn't her comments about the Jewish people and Israel? Did I miss something in her statement? Was she chastising the palestinians about being illegal occupiers?

Upvote 0

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Dec 29, 2004
Kentucky
✟1,343.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Freedom of speech is not about a lack of social repercussions, but of legal, governmental ones. She is, legally, free to speak her mind, and we are free to express our opinion of her and her opinions...

She can tell the Jews to "go home"... and we can tell her where to go...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't know if anybody is attacking her for her freedom of speech. Maybe some are, and they... have a right to do they have a right to do that, too (you can use your freedom of speech to attack freedom of speech). But of the posters, here, I think most people are criticizing _her_ and saying she was off base.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who is saying this? Isn't Israel one of the biggest receivers of American foreign aid? I think we're one of Israels largest supporters politically too.

It has come up a lot recently in discussions of the flotilla raid. Lots of evangelical Christians saying things like, "it's a shame people want to praise Palestine first and accuse and persecute Israel". There seems to be this contrived persecution complex where persecution simply doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟663,976.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Och! I always thought so highly of Helen Thomas. But I can't say that's a very thoughtful, nuanced view of the situation in the region. Even if the first generation had no business being moved there, we're down to the second and third generations, here. For them, _that_ is home. There is no other home to which they can go.

There have always been Jews in Palestine and in Jerusalem. Less than ten years ago, the Israeli tourism minister was assassinated. His family had lived in Jerusalem for six generations, about 150 years.

Do the people commenting on Helen Thomas realize that she is of Lebanese descent? She seems to be influenced by her background here.

Upvote 0