US police have killed 24 people so far in Feb.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The numbers bring up interesting points. There are 4 main factors IMO that cause police to kill people:

1. Improper police conduct. That's what everyone loves to jump on, on both sides of the argument. While this does certainly contribute to deaths caused by police, I would wager this is actually one of the smaller, if not the smallest of the listed causes of police killings.

2. Inadequate staffing and funding. If a cop is just given a gun and a car, he's a lot more like to have to shoot then if he has a partner, more police backup nearby, nonlethal options, and protective gear. They need to feel and actually be safer, it makes them less likely to shoot.

3. Inadequate or improper training. If you train a cop to shoot first, what do you expect him to do? You need to train cops to diffuse situations with as little violence as possible. The military seems to do a much better job of this, which I find odd considering they are most often dealing foreign, armed combatants.

4. Armed populace. I'm not saying this to rag on the second amendment, I support it, but it has a cost and this is one of them. Cops have to worry about guns constantly, and it can be easy for them to mistake something for a gun when we have more of them than pets. Beyond this, it also increases the likelihood of criminals having guns. In countries were guns are highly restricted, police don't have to deal with this nearly as much, which is why many of them seem to lack the hair-trigger response US police do.

Only #1 is controllable by the police themselves. Administration mostly has to take care of #3, and we the people have to address #2 and #4.

Also I would add...

#5. Subject behavior. If subject produces a weapon and attacks an officer...or simply starts beating him/her badly...the officer has a right to defend themselves. That probably isn't the type of situation you're talking about in your post though.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it's information, and people should know how many people are killed each year by the police.
tulc(isn't here to defend or attack just to provide information)

Information is important. Information without context, can be pretty much void of specific meaning.

I could start a thread on how many people die in a hospital each year and the pure numbers would be alarming. But, when one examines the context of each hospital death, it tells a completely different story.

The folks who want to get the full story, peel back the layers. The folks who want to make an ideological statement, tend to avoid peeling back the layers.

Upvote 0

Freedom~Sprite

America is free! If U R opposed U R Free to LEAVE!
Feb 11, 2017
Miami
✟16,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
logo.png

Honoring Officers Killed in 2017

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Information is important. Information without context, can be pretty much void of specific meaning.

I could start a thread on how many people die in a hospital each year and the pure numbers would be alarming. But, when one examines the context of each hospital death, it tells a completely different story.

The folks who want to get the full story, peel back the layers. The folks who want to make an ideological statement, tend to avoid peeling back the layers.
uhmmm...that's why there's a news link attached to each of the deaths.
tulc(so people can have the information)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is your thread. I am asking what you personally have learned specifically about each case, from reading the news articles.
...that the US police have killed about 3-4 people a day in 2017? That the police killed more people in Jan then were killed by them in the January's of 2014, 2015 and 2016?
tulc(among other things)

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...that the US police have killed about 3-4 people a day in 2017? That the police killed more people in Jan then were killed by them in the January's of 2014, 2015 and 2016?
tulc(among other things)
That is all you have learned from the news articles?

Upvote 0

Freedom~Sprite

America is free! If U R opposed U R Free to LEAVE!
Feb 11, 2017
Miami
✟16,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
shouldn't this have it's own thread? After all I wont be updating this thread at the end of this month. :wave:
tulc(just a thought)
No, it is exactly where I intended it to be. In a thread wherein someone complains because a tallied number of offenders were shot before they could kill police or innocent people. :wave:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is exactly where I intended it to be. In a thread wherein someone complains because a tallied number of offenders were shot before they could kill police or innocent people. :wave:
It's up to you of course, I just thought it would be something more people would talk about in it's own thread. :wave:
tulc(is going for more coffee)

Upvote 0