US First Lady Michelle Obama visits Russian Orthodox HIV/AIDS programme in Moscow

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Newt really said that?! Wow! That IS terrible! It has gotten bad in the GOP, and every election year, both sides get nastier.
Santorum noted the same thing alongside some others. To see the actual videos where comments were made by them, one can go here. I find it sad that Newt Gingrich and others made very biggoted comments (IMHO).....sick as that is when they try to stereotype blacks as all being on welfare/addicted to it whenever conversation of proper safety nets comes up (including welfare reform/personal responsibility), forgetting that statistics show that there are more Caucasians on welfare than blacks ( more shared here and here ).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);61502595 said:
Santorum noted the same thing alongside some others. To see the actual videos where comments were made by them, one can go here. I find it sad that Newt Gingrich and others made very biggoted comments (IMHO).....sick as that is when they try to stereotype blacks as all being on welfare/addicted to it whenever conversation of proper safety nets comes up (including welfare reform/personal responsibility), forgetting that statistics show that there are more Caucasians on welfare than blacks ( more shared here and here ).

and Wolf Blitzer said that those affected by Katrina were "so poor, and so black." you can make any quote bigotted if you make it a soundbite. I remember Santorum coming to Penn State and talking about radical Islam, and every liberal there said that what he said about Islam was biggotted, only when probed the only thing he got wrong was that he said that Mohammed was the greatest prophet and not the final one. they quoted him as being a bigot because they wanted to.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
and Wolf Blitzer said that those affected by Katrina were "so poor, and so black." .
Indeed. Wolf, however, had no history of making commentary off the cuff that was out of context nor was it the case that his facts were inaccurate since the context he spoke in wth Katrina was a discussion on the people impacted by Katrina. Santourum was radically different for anyone seeing the full speech, as even his own people noted that it was bizzare that he'd be talking on his stance against welfare and then say "I don't want to support black people"---as such is a stereotype even for others against it and the context didn't lend itself at any point to suggest such.
you can make any quote bigotted if you make it a soundbite.
Indeed. That's why one looks at the total speech rather than soundbites and sees their history.
I remember Santorum coming to Penn State and talking about radical Islam, and every liberal there said that what he said about Islam was biggotted, only when probed the only thing he got wrong was that he said that Mohammed was the greatest prophet and not the final one. they quoted him as being a bigot because they wanted to
That doesn't equate to it being the case that there were never things said that were bigotted simply because of where others took what he said out of context in another setting. Especially when other conservatives in the camp hear something/note it as an issue and the "Well, liberals took it wrong because they want to!!" wouldn't apply.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you're right, Easy. Take Joe Biden....he's said a few off-the-cuff lame things about black folks, but look at the man's record....the NAACP loves him for a reason. He's done a lot for racial equality and improving the lives of African-Americans. That's why I think one or two stupid choices of words versus an ongoing theme AND racist remarks are two different entities. However, I look at guys like Jesse Jackson and I do think the man has some real racial issues he needs to work on....

Easy G (G²);61503653 said:
Indeed. Wolf, however, had no history of making commentary off the cuff that was out of context nor was it the case that his facts were inaccurate since the context he spoke in wth Katrina was a discussion on the people impacted by Katrina. Santourum was radically different for anyone seeing the full speech, as even his own people noted that it was bizzare that he'd be talking on his stance against welfare and then say "I don't want to support black people"---as such is a stereotype even for others against it and the context didn't lend itself at any point to suggest such.
Indeed. That's why one looks at the total speech rather than soundbites and sees their history. That doesn't equate to it being the case that there were never things said that were bigotted simply because of where others took what he said out of context in another setting. Especially when other conservatives in the camp hear something/note it as an issue and the "Well, liberals took it wrong because they want to!!" wouldn't apply.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The debate was kinda boring, and sometimes Romney morphed into a Democrat, and there wasn't much difference in some of what he said and Obama said in that instance. It would have been MUCH more interesting if THIRD PARTY CANDIDATES were permitted to be in the debates. Again, I find it very restrictive and not really allowing for freedom of choosing candidates when the system blocks out other candidates from other parties.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61504843 said:
Many thanks for sharing this, as it's so awesome to see people giving more information from perspectives OTHER than what has been shared....

yw! It was refreshing. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think you're right, Easy. Take Joe Biden....he's said a few off-the-cuff lame things about black folks, but look at the man's record....the NAACP loves him for a reason. He's done a lot for racial equality and improving the lives of African-Americans. That's why I think one or two stupid choices of words versus an ongoing theme AND racist remarks are two different entities. However, I look at guys like Jesse Jackson and I do think the man has some real racial issues he needs to work on....
Indeed. Regardless of where it's found, inconsistency is inconsistency. I don't like what Santurom or Newt say anymore than I like Jessie Jackson who often does the same in reverse (alongside others).

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This was great! I liked both Ms. Stein's and Mr. Anderson's views better than Romney's and Obama's. :)
Very much another reason as to why people need to get the facts rather than thinking the debates themselves are all that matter and it's a done deal.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rev. Al Sharpton, whom I'm not really a fan of but find humorous at times, has this commercial on MSNBC where he jumps on Romney for being out of touch with working people, seniors, and the people who need help the most. He ends his litany with "It's not about Obama! It's about yo Mama!"

^_^:p

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rev. Al Sharpton, whom I'm not really a fan of but find humorous at times, has this commercial on MSNBC where he jumps on Romney for being out of touch with working people, seniors, and the people who need help the most. He ends his litany with "It's not about Obama! It's about yo Mama!"

^_^:p

^_^

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61506270 said:
I'd just heard about this today - the Corporate shut out. A friend wrote this on that: Does everyone know the debates used to be put on by the league of women voters? And that we used to get third party representation in the debates. But a while back they were secretly taken over by corporate sponsorship who in turn squashed the inclusion of the third party candidates. ... And preventing folks who may only watch the debates for how they vote from hearing alternative ideas and proposals.

He probably read the link you posted above.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'd just heard about this today - the Corporate shut out. A friend wrote this on that: Does everyone know the debates used to be put on by the league of women voters? And that we used to get third party representation in the debates. But a while back they were secretly taken over by corporate sponsorship who in turn squashed the inclusion of the third party candidates. ... And preventing folks who may only watch the debates for how they vote from hearing alternative ideas and proposals.

He probably read the link you posted above.
If he read the link, I'd not be surprised. But seeing what has happened really makes me even more inspired to see the reality of how much power third power voting can have...for if it was not a big deal, why go through so much trouble to keep people unaware of the significant views that differ from 2 party systems? When people really know that they---as the PEOPLE/MAJORITY who are often told "Well, your vote really isn't a majority"---can actually have ownership of their vote.....who knows what could happen.

Knowledge really is power...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easy G (G²);61503653 said:
Indeed. That's why one looks at the total speech rather than soundbites and sees their history. That doesn't equate to it being the case that there were never things said that were bigotted simply because of where others took what he said out of context in another setting. Especially when other conservatives in the camp hear something/note it as an issue and the "Well, liberals took it wrong because they want to!!" wouldn't apply.

yeah, but you also can't just look at one speech. like gurney pointed out, you gotta look at the man's life. I have personally met Santorum, and while I don't agree with the man on everything, I can say that he is not a bigot at all. judging him based on a speech is just like judging him based on a soundbite, the speech is just a longer soundbite.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
yeah, but you also can't just look at one speech. like gurney pointed out, you gotta look at the man's life. I have personally met Santorum, and while I don't agree with the man on everything, I can say that he is not a bigot at all. judging him based on a speech is just like judging him based on a soundbite, the speech is just a longer soundbite.
Wasn't talking about a speech alone (as was assumed)--but on repeated history of speeches stereotyping others. There are plenty of figures you can meet in person to get one impression and yet that will never change the consistency in what they say (or choose not to say). Based on what he has often said/been called on, I don't see where the man can be given or pass...or where others can assume that those not liking him didn't listen to all of his speeches or assume that one key piece noted in a speech means that one didn't hear the entire speech. There's no basis when others have listened to the full speech and still took issue with it, especially amongst conservatives who did not agree with him.

Upvote 0