• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Us Diplomats wife Suspect in hit and run death of teenager flees country.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Goonie, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,092
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Do spouses get diplomatic immunity, too?

3. Goonie

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
  4. John P. Alexander

John P. Alexander Servant

+513
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The thread title broke my brain.

She should face justice.

5. Goonie

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Not according to the US Govt. instead diplomatic immunity and aided and abetted in fleeing the country.

6. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+11,386
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Yes. I had a family member who was unfortunately involved in a fatal car accident when I was quite young (he's a cousin who is something like 8-9 years older than me, and it happened as I recall sometime in his early twenties, well over twenty years ago by now), and I suspect it was only his resisting the somewhat natural urge to run that kept him out of jail for it, as it was ultimately determined based on the statements he and another occupant (I can't remember if they were from his car or the other car that was involved) gave to the police that he would not be charged, as he had not been driving recklessly in any fashion. It was an accident in the truest sense of the word; a matter of bad timing rather than necessarily bad judgement. But running from the scene is in itself bad judgment.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+8,381
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    It is interesting* that there are some in the UK (usually government ministers trying to bolster a weak argument) who pretend the UK still enjoys a "special relationship" with the USA. As this tragic incident shows, such is not the case.

*Interesting is a euphemism.

8. Goonie

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Indeed. In this case the driver was on the wrong side of the road, so the question is how long was the diplomats wife in the country, and how often she drove, on what side of road do you drive in the USA?

9. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+2,085
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    She is not the diplomat himself, she committed a crime. From the sound of it she was driving on the wrong side of the road when she mowed the motor bike down. This is not a minor misdemeanour and the idea that she is entitled to immunity because of who she knows is slightly elitist. Not sure how she became a suspect and how convincing the evidence of her connection to the case is. Her fleeing the country implies guilt however. Is this one of those friendly fire incidents that we just need to shrug off or a major injustice masked by the privileged entitlement of a certain class of Americans who think they are above the law.

10. Goonie

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    We are supposed to be allies but as this case shows, along with trump sending a hostage negotiator to Sweden when that rapper was arrested, that’s just nonsense.

the crazy thing is, if she had hit the teenager and run, if she had come forward immediately, with the lawyers the us embassy can afford, I suspect the punishment would have been lenient, assuming she was not drinking. The foreigner abroad defence.

11. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,213
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    There have actually been instances of a diplomat committing murder and claiming diplomatic immunity and getting away with it. The worst that the host country can do is expel them back to their own country.

12. mindlight

mindlight See in the dark Supporter

+2,085
    Germany
    Christian
    Married
    Think there is enough going on at the moment to challenge good relations between our two countries not to add to any anger. But agree she should have come forward and this would probably have been viewed as a tragic accident. As you say now there is a suspicion she was driving drunk or drugged because she did not come forward at the time.

13. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+19,092
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Welcome to the CIA.

Also, anybody remember when Erdogan's bodyguards beat up protesters in Washington DC? They had immunity, too as I recall.

14. JackRT

+16,213
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I think that a whole new look needs to be taken on the question of diplomatic immunity. Some diplomats flout local laws at will. Just ask the police in any capital city about enforcing traffic laws.

15. JackRT

+16,213
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    I think that all diplomats and families etc should be required to sign a declaration in advance to the effect that they will honour all local laws and will face the consequences if they fail to do so. The down side of that would be that the local police might use that to target the diplomats.

16. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+4,986
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    And that's exactly why diplomatic immunity exists.

17. JackRT

+16,213
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    Apparantly she was driving on the wrong side of the road. Easy for a newcomer to England. In my second day there I started into a roundabout the wrong way. That was a sobering experience!

18. Goonie

+8,460
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Indeed. The implication of the driver running is that they were over the limit, which would make it a far more serious offence.

19. Michael

Michael Contributor Supporter

+1,677
    Christian
  20. JohnAshton

JohnAshton Well-Known Member

+1,561
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    She is home safe. Diplomatic immunity will not be waived.