✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
we'll have to see where this goes...

For the first time, US investigators say they have corroborated some of the communications detailed in a 35-page dossier compiled by a former British intelligence agent, multiple current and former US law enforcement and intelligence officials tell CNN. As CNN first reported, then-President-elect Donald Trump and President Barack Obama were briefed on the existence of the dossier prior to Trump's inauguration.

link

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
It's scary how much like the first days of Obama this is. Even have a Birther movement. Maybe we should call them the Wizzer movement.

The difference being, of course, that the Birther movement never have the FBI and other organizations looking into any of their claims. To the best of my knowledge.

I don't buy it, myself, but comparing it to the Birther movement seems like a far reach.

• Haha
Reactions: evoeth
Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The difference being, of course, that the Birther movement never have the FBI and other organizations looking into any of their claims. To the best of my knowledge.

I don't buy it, myself, but comparing it to the Birther movement seems like a far reach.

Obama didn't go out of his way to antagonize the intelligence agencies either.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty sure that the story here is going to be that Russia (Putin) sought out material on the President with which to blackmail him.
For blackmail to be effective, the target has to have a sense of shame.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It probably doesn't faze anyone, given the current atmosphere we live in of fake news and slanted reporting, but there's no "US corroborates...."

As the link/article stated it (last month), "allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details...."

and that's according to CNN!

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It probably doesn't faze anyone, given the current atmosphere we live in of fake news and slanted reporting, but there's no "US corroborates...."

As the link/article stated it (last month), "allegations came, in part, from memos compiled by a former British intelligence operative, whose past work US intelligence officials consider credible. The FBI is investigating the credibility and accuracy of these allegations, which are based primarily on information from Russian sources, but has not confirmed many essential details...."

Now follow the link at the bottom of the OP.

Or here; US investigators corroborate some aspects of the Russia dossier - CNNPolitics.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Based on what I've been reading, the more salacious parts of the story are not corroborated. What has been, is the network of intelligence operatives and agencies involved in gathering the material, and it seems to lead right to Putin.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Based on what I've been reading, the more salacious parts of the story are not corroborated.
Yes, CNN stated that more than once, just to be sure.

What has been, is the network of intelligence operatives and agencies involved in gathering the material, and it seems to lead right to Putin.
Also that some of the events and people involved were corroborated.
If it were possible to jam any more qualifiers, evasive terms, gray areas, implied findings, provisional conclusions, hearsay, and so on into these two articles...

it would probably set some kind of record.
You may prefer black and white with no nuances, but information doesn't always come that way. They are trying to be careful about facts and what is and is not known.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You may prefer black and white with no nuances, but information doesn't always come that way. They are trying to be careful about facts and what is and is not known.
All right, but then let's return to the title of this thread. That's where this discussion started. Sure, CNN said what it said. That's not the point so much as what we here were told to think about it. No nuances there. No.

The articles bent over backwards in their choice of words, despite those sources being fervently anti-Trump, for the very reason that they don't have much to go on other than hints and maybes. They made as much out of relatively little information as they could. BUT that doesn't deter a CF member from rushing out a thread that claims "US corroborates..."

There hasn't been corroboration of anything but possibly a tiny corner of this news, and it's certainly not the "U.S." having "corroborated."

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All right, but then let's return to the title of this thread. That's where this discussion started. Sure, CNN said what it said. That's not the point so much as what we here were told about it.
Told about it by whom? CNN is the source - did you read the link? What the OP quoted, "For the first time, US investigators say they have corroborated some of the communications detailed in a 35-page dossier compiled by a former British intelligence agent, multiple current and former US law enforcement and intelligence officials tell CNN." Is that inaccurate in your opinion? If so, in what way exactly?

No nuances there. No.
Well, yes, objectively so - "hints and maybes" are nuances.

The articles bent over backwards in their choice of words, despite those sources being fervently anti-Trump, for the very reason that they don't have much to go on other than hints and maybes.
Which sources do you mean? The British spy or the US intelligence sources?

They made as much out of relatively little information as they could. BUT that doesn't deter a CF member from rushing out a thread that claims "US corroborates..."
And? Corroborates some, not all, and not the giggly bits - and the title of the thread left off "Investigators" which the CNN headline had. This is news because, before now, the entire dossier was uncorroborated.

There hasn't been corroboration of anything but possibly a tiny corner of this news, and it's certainly not the "U.S." having "corroborated."
I don't know that "some" is necessarily "tiny", but it is actual corroboration of "some" whether you like where that leads or not. This does mean that the entire dossier is not hokum, but that does not mean that the uncorroborated parts aren't. We just don't know how much yet. It's possible that the whole thing is true, but it's also possible that only some of it is true, thrown in to falsely lend credibility to the entirety. CNN is pretty clear that we don't know close to everything - just more than we used to know:
But the intercepts do confirm that some of the conversations described in the dossier took place between the same individuals on the same days and from the same locations as detailed in the dossier, according to the officials. CNN has not confirmed whether any content relates to then-candidate Trump.​

I guess I don't understand why you're so upset about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Told about it by whom?
Read over the postings in this thread.

CNN is the source - did you read the link? What the OP quoted, "For the first time, US investigators say they have corroborated some of the communications detailed in a 35-page dossier compiled by a former British intelligence agent, multiple current and former US law enforcement and intelligence officials tell CNN."
I quoted almost the whole of that earlier in the thread, so you're not telling me much here.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read over the postings in this thread.
I have, but that doesn't tell me exactly who you're referring to right then. Why reply without answering?

I quoted almost the whole of that earlier in the thread, so you're not telling me much here.
Okay, so?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have, but that doesn't tell me exactly who you're referring to right then. Why reply without answering?
?? I explained (and fairly carefully, I thought) what I was referring to in the post immediately preceding the one in which you asked me this. You can understand, then, why I didn't think I was being obscure or evasive in my answer by directing you back to it.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
All right, but then let's return to the title of this thread. That's where this discussion started. Sure, CNN said what it said. That's not the point so much as what we here were told to think about it.

What were we told to think about it? By whom?

No nuances there. No.

I'd have to know whom you are speaking of, and what this person specifically said.

The articles bent over backwards in their choice of words, despite those sources being fervently anti-Trump, for the very reason that they don't have much to go on other than hints and maybes. They made as much out of relatively little information as they could. BUT that doesn't deter a CF member from rushing out a thread that claims "US corroborates..."

Yes. US Corroborates...some of aspects of the Russian dossier. Hey look, that's the title of the thread.

Actually, it's a pretty big deal. What they've basically corroborated is that Russia has been gathering information in an attempt to blackmail the President for their own purposes. That's international espionage. That's a nation trying to leverage our nation's leaders at the highest levels. Honestly, that's a pretty big news story, not some tiny corner.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes. US Corroborates...some of aspects of the Russian dossier. Hey look, that's the title of the thread.
As sarcasm, that would be exactly what I was getting at.

"US" did not corroborate even some elements of the story, and the links don't use that wording. But we here, reading the thread's title were supposed to think it was so.

Upvote 0