Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This would be long, long overdue but better late than never, I suppose. Rather than "pressing" him they need to bar him. They have authority over even earthly leaders. If only Cardinal Gregory had a spine...at all.

I wonder if there would be any blowback by the general population against the Church? Like, "oh the boohoo the big bad Church is being mean to poor ol' pop pop." followed by calls to ban religion or some such nonsense. You get my meaning.

When U.S. Catholic bishops hold their next national meeting in June, they’ll be deciding whether to send a tougher-than-ever message to President Joe Biden and other Catholic politicians: Don’t receive Communion if you persist in public advocacy of abortion rights.

At issue is a document that will be prepared for the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops by its Committee on Doctrine, with the aim of clarifying the church’s stance on an issue that has repeatedly vexed the bishops in recent decades. It’s taken on new urgency now, in the eyes of many bishops, because Biden — only the second Catholic president — is the first to hold that office while espousing clear-cut support for abortion rights.

US Catholic bishops may press Biden to stop taking Communion

Last edited:

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
This would be long, long overdue but better late than never, I suppose. Rather than "pressing" him they need to bar him. They have authority over even earthly leaders. If only Cardinal Gregory had a spine...at all.

I wonder if there would be any blowback by the general population against the Church? Like, "oh the boohoo the big bad Church is being mean to poor ol' pop pop." followed by calls to ban religion or some such nonsense. You get my meaning.

US Catholic bishops may press Biden to stop taking Communion

I believe the general Catholic population will sympathize with Biden. But the Bishops should take the stand anyway. We either stand or erode even further. Might as well see where the flock stands.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe the general Catholic population will sympathize with Biden. But the Bishops should take the stand anyway. We either stand or erode even further. Might as well see where the flock stands.

I'm with you 100% my dude. Maybe it's time to separate the sheep and the goats.

Barring communion seems a bit soft at this point; excommunication would be more appropriate, IMO.

I'm on board with that, and for someone of Biden's status they should bring back the bell, book and candle ceremony of excommunication too. Seriously, to really put the fear of God into him and hopefully other lukewarm Catholics who might still be saved.

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Barring communion seems a bit soft at this point; excommunication would be more appropriate, IMO.
I have pondered this issue for decades and I came to a conclusion long ago when former Gov. Mario Cuomo was interviewed on ABC Nightline I believe. He was pro-choice and there were some calls for his excommunication. He said on national television that the Church could excommunicate him, but that only God could judge his eternal soul. If he was worried about the possibility of being excommunicated, he gave no indication of such in the interview.

Anyway, I believe that there is very little chance that the Church would ever excommunicate pro-choice elected officials, as such an action would probably badly hurt the Church's image in our Modernist 21st Century society and the Church leaders probably suspect that such would be the case.

Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Agreed. People like biden should not even be in the Church if they don't follow the rules.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have pondered this issue for decades and I came to a conclusion long ago when former Gov. Mario Cuomo was interviewed on ABC Nightline I believe. He was pro-choice and there were some calls for his excommunication. He said on national television that the Church could excommunicate him, but that only God could judge his eternal soul. If he was worried about the possibility of being excommunicated, he gave no indication of such in the interview.

Anyway, I believe that there is very little chance that the Church would ever excommunicate pro-choice elected officials, as such an action would probably badly hurt the Church's image in our Modernist 21st Century society and the Church leaders probably suspect that such would be the case.

I mean, our image is already tarnished enough with all the abuse scandals coming to light in the past 20 years. Maybe we need to stop caring about public image and care more about planting our feet and holding fast to what's right.

Those who never cared will continue on in their sin, but at least there won't be anymore confusion about whether they're Catholic or not. Could be a difficult, but necessary (and therefore good) era for the Church... but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I mean, our image is already tarnished enough with all the abuse scandals coming to light in the past 20 years. Maybe we need to stop caring about public image and care more about planting our feet and holding fast to what's right.

Those who never cared will continue on in their sin, but at least there won't be anymore confusion about whether they're Catholic or not. Could be a difficult, but necessary (and therefore good) era for the Church... but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

The more we acquiesce the more the church becomes of the world.

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The more we acquiesce the more the church becomes of the world.

Exactly, it's starting to seem like the pushback is starting to rumble a bit. The time for tolerance is over.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Agreed. The time of tolerance should be over.
But on the other hand, it's gone on for so long now, that what is necessary is a re-introduction on what is necessary to be considered as "A Catholic in good standing with the Church."
Chances are very good that the slide to the left has gone on for so long, that the general public probably mistook grace for acceptance, and from acceptance to outright approval.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
To carry on that thought, by now the public must be thinking that abortion is ok with the Church. After all, if the pharmaceutical companies that make the vaccine using the bodies of aborted children, (and that's not only accepted by Catholic politicians, but endorsed,) where do we go from here??
How big "just a pinch" of incense offered to other God's is considered to be too big now??
That slippery slope has become more than just a minor slope.
The angle has changed, and in doing so, it's become a gaping hole, leading to a bottomless pit.
What we need now are detour signs with the words "DANGER AHEAD" posted in clear, easy to read print.
And we need courageous Bishops to post those signs.
Agreed. The time of tolerance should be over.
But on the other hand, it's gone on for so long now, that what is necessary is a re-introduction on what is necessary to be considered as "A Catholic in good standing with the Church."
Chances are very good that the slide to the left has gone on for so long, that the general public probably mistook grace for acceptance, and from acceptance to outright approval.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did the USCCB bar Biden from receiving the Eucharist? I haven't heard any updates on this. I really hope that they do bar him from receiving the Eucharist at the very least but excommunication would be the ideal thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Did the USCCB bar Biden from receiving the Eucharist? I haven't heard any updates on this. I really hope that they do bar him from receiving the Eucharist at the very least but excommunication would be the ideal thing to do.

They were going to talk about it, but it in all likelihood it was going to be swept under the rug. It was probably only even mentioned for appearances sake.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am not Catholic, but it seems to me that the power to ban him lies with the Wilmington, DE bishop and the Washington DC Archbishop, where he lives and works, and not with the USCCB as such. Having said that, a strong majority vote by the USCCB might well convince his local bishops to deny him Communion. However, a vote by the USCCB would probably not single out President Biden, but would likely also apply to many others, including Madam Speaker Pelosi from San Francisco, plus numerous Governors as well and potentially many Senators and House members. I suppose it is possible that the USCCB could make a distinction between legislators and executives, but I doubt that they would do such.

Upvote 0

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
I shall wait with anticipation, but my sense is that there will not be the stomach for conflict. I think that fear of political repercussions will keep the bishops from acting. Many of the largest diocese are in heavily Democrat-led and the idea of getting sideways with the ruling class is an untenable position to hold. That is just my under-informed opinion...

• Prayers
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Sadly, I agree with your assessment of the situation.
Any time someone gets promoted, it seems that there is a conflict to be delt with: the possible loss of the position if they speak up.
Yes, I agree, we should expect action and courage from our Bishops, but that's between them and God.
It's not easy to be courageous.
In fact, it's much easier to "go with the flow," and not make noise, waves, or be noticeable.
The good thing is that God knows this. So the one thing that we can count on is that He will make sure that the right man is in the right place, with the necessary courage to speak up at the right time.
Keep praying!!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Remember that nothing surprises God!
He will send help!!! More than anything, He wants the Church to survive and triumph, He will preserve the Remnant, and He will not be defeated.
Those are the promises that He gave us on that Easter morning so long ago. And He will keep them. PTL!

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not Catholic, but it seems to me that the power to ban him lies with the Wilmington, DE bishop and the Washington DC Archbishop, where he lives and works, and not with the USCCB as such. Having said that, a strong majority vote by the USCCB might well convince his local bishops to deny him Communion. However, a vote by the USCCB would probably not single out President Biden, but would likely also apply to many others, including Madam Speaker Pelosi from San Francisco, plus numerous Governors as well and potentially many Senators and House members. I suppose it is possible that the USCCB could make a distinction between legislators and executives, but I doubt that they would do such.
The USCCB could have adopted the policy nationwide several years ago. Then cardinal Ratzinger sent them a letter urging them to do just that. But then cardinal McCarrick got hold of the letter and pocketed the letter and opposed a united approach. The abuser McCarrick convinced the US bishops not to adopt a national policy but to leave it up to individual bishops. So at present it is up to a bishop in Wilmington and in Washington. But that could change. It should change. It might change. But don't hold your breath. There are a number of bishops who are Democrats before they are Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
The USCCB could have adopted the policy nationwide several years ago. Then cardinal Ratzinger sent them a letter urging them to do just that. But then cardinal McCarrick got hold of the letter and pocketed the letter and opposed a united approach. The abuser McCarrick convinced the US bishops not to adopt a national policy but to leave it up to individual bishops. So at present it is up to a bishop in Wilmington and in Washington. But that could change. It should change. It might change. But don't hold your breath. There are a number of bishops who are Democrats before they are Christians.
Does anyone know if bishop conferences in other countries have instituted a ban on Communion for pro-choice elected officials?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I think that no bishop wants to "rock the boat" for fear that it might capsize on them, and they might then be dumped in a stormy sea, and be swallowed by a great fish.

Upvote 0