US Ambassador to The Netherlands may have hosted fundraiser for populist right political party

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Using our embassy for such a purpose would not only be a misuse of American property, but would constitute meddling in a foreign election.

Dutch lawmakers demand answers after U.S. ambassador holds party for right-wing populists at embassy

Dutch officials demanded answers from Pete Hoekstra, the U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands, on Tuesday in light of reports that the Trump appointee had held a private event for a rising right-wing political party and its donors at the U.S. Embassy in The Hague earlier this month.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. U.S. officials told the Dutch media that the proceeding was nothing out of the ordinary, but lawmakers argued it blurred the line between a typical embassy event and a fundraising gathering for the FvD — a potential breach of international law, which prohibits interference in domestic politics.

Party attendees told De Groene that entrepreneurs constituted around 40 percent of the crowd, some of whom had already donated to the FvD, and that the invitations included contact details for Joyce Vastenhouw, who is listed as “Head of Fundraising” for the party on LinkedIn.

[This would seem to distinguish it from being 'just' a social event held by the US government.]

The Sept. 10 party was only the latest point of contact between Hoekstra, a Republican former congressman from Michigan, and Baudet, a prominent critic of the E.U. who formed the FvD in 2016.

“It seems that the question of the day is: Why would the U.S. ambassador be at a party conference?” Hoekstra said when he appeared at a FvD party conference in December. “It’s very simple: You made the choice to invite me, and I made the choice to accept.”

Hoekstra also appeared on an episode of an online video series published by the FvD,

The diplomat, known for his conservative views, has struggled with negative press since arriving in the country in 2018. At his first news conference in the country, journalists demanded he explain prior comments he had made about “no go” areas in the Netherlands because of the “Islamic movement.” Hoekstra later apologized and said he was “shocked” by his own remarks.

['I am shocked, shocked, by the bigoted nonsense falling from my own lips']

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,147,492.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Using our embassy for such a purpose would not only be a misuse of American property, but would constitute meddling in a foreign election.

Dutch lawmakers demand answers after U.S. ambassador holds party for right-wing populists at embassy

Dutch officials demanded answers from Pete Hoekstra, the U.S. ambassador to the Netherlands, on Tuesday in light of reports that the Trump appointee had held a private event for a rising right-wing political party and its donors at the U.S. Embassy in The Hague earlier this month.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. U.S. officials told the Dutch media that the proceeding was nothing out of the ordinary, but lawmakers argued it blurred the line between a typical embassy event and a fundraising gathering for the FvD — a potential breach of international law, which prohibits interference in domestic politics.

Party attendees told De Groene that entrepreneurs constituted around 40 percent of the crowd, some of whom had already donated to the FvD, and that the invitations included contact details for Joyce Vastenhouw, who is listed as “Head of Fundraising” for the party on LinkedIn.

[This would seem to distinguish it from being 'just' a social event held by the US government.]

The Sept. 10 party was only the latest point of contact between Hoekstra, a Republican former congressman from Michigan, and Baudet, a prominent critic of the E.U. who formed the FvD in 2016.

“It seems that the question of the day is: Why would the U.S. ambassador be at a party conference?” Hoekstra said when he appeared at a FvD party conference in December. “It’s very simple: You made the choice to invite me, and I made the choice to accept.”

Hoekstra also appeared on an episode of an online video series published by the FvD,

The diplomat, known for his conservative views, has struggled with negative press since arriving in the country in 2018. At his first news conference in the country, journalists demanded he explain prior comments he had made about “no go” areas in the Netherlands because of the “Islamic movement.” Hoekstra later apologized and said he was “shocked” by his own remarks.

['I am shocked, shocked, by the bigoted nonsense falling from my own lips']
Promoting populist right wing parties in Europe, what can go wrong!

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As often is the case, guess we'll just have to wait and see if any actual laws were broken here, but I'd guess its not serious enough to ever enter litigation.

Those darned right winged, always doing someting that might be against the law. ;)

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
As often is the case, guess we'll just have to wait and see if any actual laws were broken here, but I'd guess its not serious enough to ever enter litigation.

Those darned right winged, always doing someting that might be against the law. ;)
Given that Hoekstra is residing in a different country where the laws and the political norms are different,and the people are head strong andblunt, he may be in for a rough stretch.

Upvote 0