• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Urging that Christian schools lose accreditation

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by BobRyan, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+1,462
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I do not oppress them. I have a nephew who is in that group and he is radical towards Christians, yet my wife and I and the rest of the family have not oppressed him. He doesn’t want anything to do with us or the rest of us in the family who are Christians. He posts a lot of hateful remarks on Facebook about Christians.

2. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+18,146
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Ugh. They are national organizations, not government ones.

3. gaara4158

gaara4158 (Power Level Hidden)

+2,206
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    Nor are you oppressed when national accreditation is denied to institutions that do not meet those acceeditors’ standards. Yet here you are, complaining.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  4. Danthemailman

+1,462
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sometimes I wonder why we call this “Christian” Forums. :(

5. gaara4158

+2,206
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    You’re welcome to stay in the Christians-only sections. This is not a safe space for your beliefs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+2,292
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    And doing so would be unconstitutional.

7. NotreDame

+2,292
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    But that’s not the issue.

8. NotreDame

+2,292
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    To the contrary, legally they are, constitutionally they are, it is a little unknown clause called free speech and free exercise of religion in the 1st Amendment. When the University of Virginia attempted to defund money for a school publication because of a specific religious belief, the school was smacked around by SCOTUS for speech discrimination. Ouch.

And your tax dollars become government property, the dollars aren’t your own at that point. Which is why taxpayers legally cannot object to the government spending taxpayers dollars in a manner they disapprove. To do otherwise would paralyze the government, turning each taxpayer into a tyrannical mini-king who can thwart any government spending that disgusts them.

Your comment is pleasant in fiction, no basis in reality, for good reason.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+3,020
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    ...And because she's not an educator and bought her appointment with a pile of cash in campaign donations. So, there is that.

10. gaara4158

+2,206
    United States
    Humanist
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes it is.
    1st amendment has nothing to do with national accreditation for substandard institutions.
    Of course they can. It’s called voting, protesting, and being generally politically active. Like you said, we have freedom of speech.

11. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,385
    Anglican
    Married
    She has been a longtime supporter of education and educational reform. It has never been a prerequisite for nomination to the post of Secretary of Education for the person to be a teacher himself or herself.

12. seeking.IAM

+3,020
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I have a longtime interest in money, but it doesn't make me qualified to lead the Federal Reserve.

13. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+28,385
    Anglican
    Married
    Then you probably won't be nominated for that post yourself. But as for Secretaries of Education, there have been others who were not classroom teachers, so this is not a valid complaint against Betsy DeVos.

14. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Regular Member

+9,661
    Atheist
    Single
    This part of the forum exposes you to the real world. You can see if your arguments hold water here.

15. seeking.IAM

+3,020
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Do you think her family giving millions to POTUS and other Republican politicos was not a factor in her appointment?

16. Danthemailman

+1,462
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The world views of a Christian and an atheist are polar opposites. Moving on from this part of the forum...

17. Gene2memE

Gene2memE Newbie

+3,884
    Atheist
    Private
    Not really, at least in the case of this atheist anyway.

The number of significant beliefs about the world that I had to revise during my deconversion from Roman Catholicism were pretty minimal. Certainly nothing in the realm of the sciences, and very little in my social or cultural beliefs and practices (beyond the blaringly obvious like stopping attending church). Nothing at all in my political views either.

Essentially, I started treating Christian beliefs in the same manner that I had approached those other religions when I was a believer - they were fine for some people, but not for me thanks.

18. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+12,949
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That doesn't mean society has to recognize such education. We are free to reject Christian diploma mills and indoctrination as being a sufficient education.

19. Danthemailman

+1,462
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I was born and raised in the Roman Catholic church, but was not a genuine believer until I received Christ through faith after leaving the Roman Catholic church. How you define "believer?"

20. Gene2memE

Gene2memE Newbie

+3,884
    Atheist
    Private
    Someone who accepted the existence of the God of Abrahamic traditions, and the claim that around 2000 years ago part of the triune God was incarnated on earth, held a ministry and gathered a group of followers in a small part of the Levant and was then sacrificed in an act of vicarious redemption.

Was I a biblical literalist? Not in the slightest. For either the Old or the New testaments.

Was I an active believer? Yes. I was genuinely convinced that a God existed and sincerely believed.

What changed was an informal process of educating myself in the areas of philosophy, logic and skepticism/critical thinking. That led me to a place where I realised that I had no justifications for accepting the things that I did concerning my religious beliefs. On examination, I couldn't support them so I dropped them.

And I always though "faith" was a terrible reason to believe anything. Even as a young schoolboy, that struck me as entirely the wrong way of going about things.